• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17x8.5 +40 what size spacer??

Hey guys,

Need some help, looking to run a 17x8.5 in the rear, the current offset is +40 I’m thinking of a 10mm spacer to bring it down to +30 but not sure if that’s too much or too little? I currently have a 9.5 +35 in the rear and feel like it could be pushed out a little more.

I’m adding a second set of wheels hence the question, also what tire sizes will work to avoid rubbing and TCS issues.

17x7.5+40 (adding 10mm spacer)
17x8.5+40 (adding 15, 20, 25mm spacer?)

215/40/17
255/40/17 ??

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah these are an interim wheel but such a good deal I can’t pass up. Don’t plan to do any tracking on it, it’d literally be for casual driving. I can run. 30mm spacer with no issues?

Yeah these are an interim wheel but such a good deal I can’t pass up. Don’t plan to do any tracking on it, it’d literally be for casual driving. I can run. 30mm spacer with no issues?

I've run 25mm spacers (front and rear) with no issues for years. I use H&R brand. I'm not sure who makes 30mm, you might have to go custom. I run them to get a more aggressive look only. It's probably not a good idea to drive hard on them for very long periods of time (I would think) especially one's that are 25mm+. I'm no tech, so what do I know. lol

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too.. eibach makes them, and I’m sure H&R makes them too, I’ll look into it. Thanks

I'm running a 17x7.5, +33 and a 18x9.5, +34 with a 5 mm spacer. You should do no more than a 5 mm spacer in front or else you'll need longer studs. I'll bet that an H&R 25 mm spacer in the rear with integrated studs along with a 5 mm spacer in front will be perfect. I'd try that first before spending time getting custom spacers and replacing studs.

I'm running a 17x7.5, +33 and a 18x9.5, +34 with a 5 mm spacer. You should do no more than a 5 mm spacer in front or else you'll need longer studs. I'll bet that an H&R 25 mm spacer in the rear with integrated studs along with a 5 mm spacer in front will be perfect. I'd try that first before spending time getting custom spacers and replacing studs.

Thanks mike, I may already have longer studs because I previously had spacers on the front with stock 96 wheels on there and they were pretty flush, I got rid of the spacers so I don’t remember the size [emoji30]

Based on the offset calculator, I’d be 18mm/19mm less from the where my 9.5 +35 sits, which would mean I’d only need a 20mm spacer, unless It’s wrong.

I've never used one of those calculators. In my mind a 9.5" wheels is 1" wider than a 8.5" or about 25mm. If both wheels were +35 offset a 25mm will suffice... but the 8.5 is 5mm less offset.... that's where I came up with 30mm. What wheels are you getting? By the way...the H&R DRM spacers are the way to go so you dont have to change the OEM studs. They have the integrated studs.

I've never used one of those calculators. In my mind a 9.5" wheels is 1" wider than a 8.5" or about 25mm. If both wheels were +35 offset a 25mm will suffice... but the 8.5 is 5mm less offset.... that's where I came up with 30mm. What wheels are you getting? By the way...the H&R DRM spacers are the way to go so you dont have to change the OEM studs. They have the integrated studs.

Hi [MENTION=9176]JoseJA1979[/MENTION] , a 1 inch wider wheel will not stick out an additional inch. It's more like 1/2 an inch on either side of its center. So nsxgmane's new wheels are 17x7.5 +40 and 17x8.5 +40. So for the front wheels, it's easy - a 5mm spacer will take it to +35, and that will be pretty close to flush, off by just a couple mm. For the rears, a 25mm spacer will take it to 17x8.5 +15, and that will look roughly equivalent to a 17x9.5 +28. I think that will be a good match for the fronts.
[MENTION=31283]nsxgmane[/MENTION] , I agree with you about your current wheels; a rear 9.5 +35 needs a small spacer. I've done exactly that by installing a 5mm spacer with my rears at 9.5 +34. You'll often see Advans that are 18x10 +35 and are flush, so a 18x9.5 +29 will be very close to that. But again, please try out 5mm and 25mm spacers for the new setup. Based on your comments about your existing setup, I think you will be pleased with the results.

Sorry for the delayed response guys.

Hi [MENTION=9176]JoseJA1979[/MENTION] , a 1 inch wider wheel will not stick out an additional inch. It's more like 1/2 an inch on either side of its center. So nsxgmane's new wheels are 17x7.5 +40 and 17x8.5 +40. So for the front wheels, it's easy - a 5mm spacer will take it to +35, and that will be pretty close to flush, off by just a couple mm. For the rears, a 25mm spacer will take it to 17x8.5 +15, and that will look roughly equivalent to a 17x9.5 +28. I think that will be a good match for the fronts.
[MENTION=31283]nsxgmane[/MENTION] , I agree with you about your current wheels; a rear 9.5 +35 needs a small spacer. I've done exactly that by installing a 5mm spacer with my rears at 9.5 +34. You'll often see Advans that are 18x10 +35 and are flush, so a 18x9.5 +29 will be very close to that. But again, please try out 5mm and 25mm spacers for the new setup. Based on your comments about your existing setup, I think you will be pleased with the results.

Sorry for the delayed response guys.

Better late then never! Thanks, so I actually went with a 20mm in the rear and they seem pretty good, tempted to try a 25mm to see where they gets me. The fronts definitely need something and I’m guessing a 10mm, not sure 5mm will be enough even thou it should theoretically sit where my current setup is but I’ll post a pic so you guys can see.
Front with no spacer (need to order)
6d921870f8be3ce133768a22a6e73a88.jpg

cb43b242aa13704f57d7aeed6657619c.jpg

Rear with 20mm
993cfd5a9456394386d939532e388b11.jpg

Back