• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/18 Inch Wheels and My Optical Illusion Solution: DIY

As has been discussed here many times before, use of 18/18 wheels on the NSX creates an optical illusion where the front wheel looks bigger than the rear (because of the smaller sidewall height). This prevents the use of many wheels that would otherwise "fit" such as those from S2000s or other Japanese cars. But fear not, my 18/18 wheel bros! I have used my magical designer powers to solve this visual conundrum for us and bestoweth the solution unto the people of NSX Middle Earth. :biggrin: All you need is some things from the hardware store for about $20 and some time.

My my idea was to use Plastidip to create a "time attack" style stripe at the edge of the front wheels in black to disguise the outer edge of the wheel as tire so the front looks smaller than the rear and preserves the visual proportions of the NSX. PRO TIP: make sure your tape is fully adhered as I masked perfectly only to have to redo portions because the tape didn't hold perfectly. :mad: Also I don't wait for the dip to fully dry before removing the tape and I find that helps save pain later as long as it isn't runny.

Untitled by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

by Nero Tenebre, on Flickr

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Last edited:
I just mentioned a product on another thread that may have worked for you, and been a little less work. I bought some a while ago and haven't used it yet. It's called "rim skins". It comes in different colors and is supposed to provide some protection against curb rash. You would want it in black for your application obviously. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had any experience with it. I think a nice red accent would look sharp on the wheels on your car. This would not apply in this case as you would be putting it on all 4 wheels.

I just mentioned a product on another thread that may have worked for you, and been a little less work. I bought some a while ago and haven't used it yet. It's called "rim skins". It comes in different colors and is supposed to provide some protection against curb rash. You would want it in black for your application obviously. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had any experience with it. I think a nice red accent would look sharp on the wheels on your car. This would not apply in this case as you would be putting it on all 4 wheels.

interesting! Might try it out in the future if I get new tires and the screw up my work. That product seems like it's a cut to length product though? Or is it heat shrunk onto the wheels perhaps? They need an install video and more info on their website.

You do cut it to length. It's supposed to stay on with the adhesive tape that comes on it. As I mentioned I haven't tried it on anything yet. I was going to try it on my daughter's Accord coupe as her wheels are pretty scraped up. The rim skins would have to be considerably wider to cover her damage though. Oh well, knock on wood, at least see hasn't written off a couple of cars like I did before I was her age.

Somehow I feel your job is missing a case of index cards. :tongue:

Well, I do own it so they were mine to begin with! Haha

Hey King, if you do pick these up for your daughter please take pics and report back here if it's not too much trouble.

Also noteworthy is that this approach won't work as well for wheel designs where the spokes touch the outer rim as it will appear to truncate the spokes as evidenced by pictures on the wheel guard website. This also doesn't solve the problem of limited tire selection in the appropriate 215/35/18 front size so if you want matching tires you're still in the same sinking boat as the 18/19 folks.

Last edited:
S2000 never came with 18/18 btw. I've heard those tire skins can mess up tire balance over time. but for the show car with minimal hard use I guess it would work. Back to 50s with whitewalls you know :)

Back