• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

18/19 setup- ever get a flat tire?

If you have an 18/19 setup, what have you done if you had a flat? Did you use the spare, or simply had the car towed? Due to the various tire sizes, doesnt seem as if the spare would be a safe option in this situation.

Why not? The outer diameter of the tires is probably not much different with 18 or 19" wheels than it is with OEM wheels, you simply have much less sidewall. The spare should work fine unless of course you have a BBK.

Last year on a road trip I has a belt inside my tire break while going down the interstate. It didn't blow out the tire but it did make a awful shaking sensation that required me to stop my traveling for the night.
We were in a very small town and had very few options late at night other than get something to eat and deal with it in morning.
Only by the grace of God were we able to find the exact right tire size the next morning. We had to drive a few miles to the tire shop for them to put it on and we didn't think we were going to make it with the way the back end was wobbling so much.
I don't carry a spare FYI.
BTW, Wally World won't change tires that are 18's. They told us they aren't allowed to and don't have the equipment to handle them either.

Since now that I've got a hood and radiator duct, running a spare is out. I'll have a couple of cans of fixaflat for emergencies, but as for as a blowout, I'm clueless. I don't stray far from home anyway. On long trips we take the Civic.

I had a left front go flat before, 215/35/18, well before I jumped on the freeway. I felt the front end push a bit on a tight right hand freeway on ramp. Since it was the maiden trip on the tires and wheels, I thought maybe it was just the nature of those particular tires. I drove on the highway for 7 miles at 85-90 mph. The tires were noisy from the start, when I changed lanes and run over the botts dots, the sound grew from a rubber tire clunking sound to a harsh sound of the rim hitting something solid. The tire noise also got very loud. So I pulled off the freeway not knowing what exactly could be wrong but I just hoped it was a flat tire and nothing worst. Oh and when these go flat, they don't go thump thump thump down the road the way regular profile tires do. They just get louder, and if you're on a straight long stretch of highway with any lane changes with the stereo really loud, may not ever even know untils the tire shreds.

At the gas station, even completely flat the tire looked "ok". Was a bit difficult to spot if it was even a bit low on air because of how low profile these tires are. Anyhow, I aired up figuring it was a fluke and got a flat again another 4 miles down the road at another gas station. Completely flat. I aired up the spare at the gas station and tossed it on. BTW, some hub centric rings are a bitch to get off. I basically mangled my aluminum ones to get them off so the spare would fit. The front wheel also fit in the trunk without any issues, pretty lucky.

Driving on the spare sucks. It's loud and obnoxious, seemingly out of balance, the handling is pure crap, and it's embarrassing. Perfect design for a spare I think, except for the out of balance but overall it does help keep your speed down to 55-60 mph and forces you to fix your proper wheel asap.

Oh and the spare does fold back into it's original shape and size. It's a very neat design and interesting to watch when airing it up. It takes the exact same shape as a wheelbarrow tire. I could never of imagined a car spare tire like that until I actually used mine.

Oh yeah, brake clearance will be a huge issue. Stock size calipers and rotors are ok. Anything larger than stock and you will be screwed because the spare won't fit over the brakes. Stock spare must match the stock brakes. To my knowledge there are 2 variations.

My spare is shot, does anyone know if the spare can be changed or do I need an entirely new spare/rim? I already was told by a few local tire places that they don't replace just the tire.
I've heard that you have to purchase an entirely new rim and spare. But someone (drew, I think) posted that he found a collapsible tire fitment on Bridgestone's website, so it may be possible.

I'll have a couple of cans of fixaflat for emergencies
Just keep in mind that those make the tire unusable except for getting where you're going; you're going to need to replace the tire once you get back.

Oh and when these go flat, they don't go thump thump thump down the road the way regular profile tires do. They just get louder, and if you're on a straight long stretch of highway with any lane changes with the stereo really loud, may not ever even know untils the tire shreds.
Or until the tire gets hot and catches fire, and you see the smoke in your rear view mirror. Been there, done that.

The front wheel also fit in the trunk without any issues, pretty lucky.
Not luck at all. The trunk was intentionally designed to hold the stock sized front or rear wheel/tire combo.

Driving on the spare sucks. It's loud and obnoxious, seemingly out of balance, the handling is pure crap, and it's embarrassing. Perfect design for a spare I think, except for the out of balance but overall it does help keep your speed down to 55-60 mph and forces you to fix your proper wheel asap.
I thought it's 50...? It says on the tire, I think.

Oh yeah, brake clearance will be a huge issue. Stock size calipers and rotors are ok. Anything larger than stock and you will be screwed because the spare won't fit over the brakes. Stock spare must match the stock brakes. To my knowledge there are 2 variations.
Yes, the '97-05 NSX has a slightly larger yellow spare wheel to clear the larger front brake calipers; the '91-96 has the orange one.

Oh, one other tip - if you have a flat and have to jack up your car, if you find that you don't have room to fit the collapsed jack under the jacking tab next to the flat tire, try the center jacking tab. That worked for me...

Back