• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$18M Being Spent to Redesign Recovery.gov Web Site

Old news, I liked John Stewart's response personally...he laid out all the errors made on the website and invented districts. So to answer your question just visit the site, it's a moderately modern looking static website that tries to gage how the economy is doing with made up code.

But hey don't fret, it's only tax payers money, not like we'd just give it to rich people or anything...like a bank ceo....right?

Hopefully they won't use flash.

Seriously though, I heard (but haven't checked myself) that it hasn't been updated with any new data in the past 3 months.

I don't consider myself an expert but I do a lot of web coding. How can it cost that much? Didn't they spend something similar on the first design?

That's just ridiculous....but about right when you consider what we've come to expect from this administration....

My lady used to work at a promiment Web Design Agency here in Cincy.

A state of the art comprehensive site will cost an $80 billion company like P&G about a million bucks. This includes photo/video shoots and everything.

And even she admits that they were WAYYYYYY overpriced.

:rolleyes:

I've managed a few in-house and outsourced website builds and redesigns.
WTF? $18mil? I could see $30,000. Even $100,000 for something amazing and a full time person to update it 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week for a year after it's built.
But $18 million? I mean, that has to be outright theft. Is anyone looking into this crap? Somewhere there is a friend of a congressman who's a freshly made millionaire.

This is ridiculous, I agree with the comment that someone has a friend in congress and someone's pockets are getting lined...

A friend of mine works for a top 3 consulting firm as an IT project manager. Facing massive budget issues, several states are outsourcing some of their longstanding projects/issues to his firm to simply "take care of immediately".

His firm is one of the most expensive around, and their bid was 2-3m to rework a large data organization, improve the storage capabilities, and reprogram the data entry system.

For each of these projects/organizations the state currently employs between 12-25 IT professionals earning at or above 100k, and roughly the same number of supporting admin. etc. staff. The state has paid an average of $2,225,000 a YEAR over the past 5 years to its own staff. In 3-6 months, his firm does at least twice the quality of work of the state's employees in 5% of the time the state employees say the project requires for a small fraction of the cost. My friend says each state is plagued with massive divisions like this with catastrophically inefficient work forces.

And to top it off, my friend and most of his team is billed out to the state at 200-500$/hr, not exactly a cheap service.

His firm has had the same experience in several states, mostly throughout the south. California has been aggressively courting them into helping restructure their systems, but is completely unable to pay them or even loosely define a payment schedule.

Last edited:
Back