• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

1991-99 NSX Review Article in June R&T

There's an excellent article about our favorite car in the latest issue (June 2001) of Road and Track.

It covers the world of the used NSX and the NSX marketplace very well. It mentions with great accuracy and specificity all the things to look out for when buying a used NSX. Even down to the window regulators!

The author wisely consulted with Mark Basch, who was quoted extensively throughout the article. Way to go Mark!

Highly recommended, even if it's stuff you already know.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for a 76-79 Honda Accord

New coupes still come with the black roof.

All coupes must be special ordered, the NSX-Tis the standard model.

I also believe (though I don't prefer) that the coupe may be special ordered with the roof the same color as the car.

In the previous month issue, they did a used car classic for the Viper. In that same issue they tested the Hennesy 833hp twin turbo viper. With slicks, it did a 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 9.99. That's plain sick! Even for $167,000 that's still sick.
We're not talking about the quality of the car itself. However, that kind of speed is quite an achievement.

All coupes must be special ordered, the NSX-Tis the standard model.

There is no difference between the ordering process for the coupe and for the NSX-T. Any dealer can order a coupe for their showroom (or for a specific customer), just like they can order an NSX-T for their showroom (or for a specific customer). However, MOST dealers order the NSX-T only.

nsxtasy, look at the second full paragraph on page 104 of the June Road & Track. It states:

"The original fixed-top coupe configuration was again available in 1996, by special order."

I've seen this documented in several places. What I believe this means is that dealers would only stock -T's, so if you wanted an NSX quickly, without waiting for it to be built, you would have to take a -T.

dealers would only stock -T's, so if you wanted an NSX quickly, without waiting for it to be built, you would have to take a -T.

Yes. We're both saying the same thing - which means it's one of those semantic things.

MOST dealers only stock the -T. I believe Niello Acura in Sacramento has been ordering an occasional coupe for their inventory. Any other dealer is free to do so as well... but few do, and coupes are hard to find for this reason. Same thing would be true if you really wanted an NSX in a low-volume color with an automatic transmission. It's not a different ordering procedure, but it would be so hard to find that you would probably need to have your dealer order one for you. You can call it "special order" or "custom order" but it's really the same thing.

I was corrected on this on the e-mail list by our friends at Acura. While my statement was true that the dealer can order a coupe or an NSX-T from the factory for itself or for a customer, American Honda apparently keeps an inventory at the port in the States from which dealers can order, and that inventory consists ONLY of NSX-T's. Mea culpa.

Here is the post in full:

"Actually American Honda orders only NSX-T and has a variety at the port most of
the time where a dealer can order what color/transmission that he wants.

If a customer or dealer wants a hardtop they must order it from American Honda
which will order it from the factory. It usually takes some sort of down
payment for the dealer to order it from Honda. It will take about 3 months to
get the car here.

Hope this helps."

Back