• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Acura NSX: JH4NA1158MT001290 - A Cautionary Tale

Having sold my NSX, I felt that itch again and started looking for another one. The prices have definitely gone up in the last few years (I'm sure due to how scarce they are becoming).

I came across this NSX, VIN #JH4NA1158MT001290 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322171823192?forcerRptr=true&item=322171823192

Seemed decently priced for the mileage...so I started doing research.

CarFax listed no accidents, but there was a gap in history from 2003 to 2015, which was odd to me.

n7Heq4k.jpg

Found an album online from one of the previous owners who had rebuilt the car, but it was never reported to CarFax or the DMV!

2gTraJb.jpg

WS9Z781.jpg

Notice the license plate...

Here it is getting the front end replaced:

D4xdALw.jpg

From the previous owner's Instagram (where the information and pictures were found), he says "My nsx picked up after been park 12 years".

https://www.instagram.com/p/rCyhJGJrop/

That explains the 12 year gap from 2003 to 2015.

Here is the car after the work was completed (same plates):

4W2PKoMl.jpg

The car was vinyl wrapped blue and then maybe sold or traded to a dealership in California, where it was posted/sold on Ebay shortly after:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/221962473906?vxp=mtr

Fast forward to 8 months later, it's back on Ebay, where I saw it (link above).

Once again with the same plates, repainted with new seat covers:

WmC9aS5l.jpg

Here's a whole album from the previous seller:

http://s377.photobucket.com/user/classic91nsx/library/?sort=3&page=1

Often times some deals seem too good to be true -- I'm not sure if the person/dealership selling it knows that or not, but I just wanted to warn people who were possibly looking at this car that things happen that don't get reported. I've seen NSX's of this year salvaged at less damage than that (although I'm not an estimator, so take my words with a grain of salt).

I would have hated buying the car then finding out this information later.

Unfortunately, CarFax doesn't take consumer-provided information, so I felt the NSX community should at least know.

Last edited:
Nice work gumshoe. This vehicle has been shared on Facebook a couple times, and people were suspecting something was wrong with it; seems like they were right.

I've often found accidents not reported on CarFax were reported on AutoCheck. If you are serious about a car you should (IMO) always check both.

I've often found accidents not reported on CarFax were reported on AutoCheck. If you are serious about a car you should (IMO) always check both.

Sound advice. Not sure if AutoCheck works like CarFax, but if someone is able to pull a report on AutoCheck about this car, I'm definitely curious if it lists that accident. They might want that information if CarFax doesn't.

terrible. I remember this car when it was in southern california. Never realized it was the same one being sold right now.

Great job sharing! I hope these pics stay up...

Wow...you saved me man...I was actually looking at this one. Called the dealership, and realized something was up when he mentioned being disappointed in the previous owner because the wrap was a lie to cover up bad paint job...but I knew it had to be more.

Wow...you saved me man...I was actually looking at this one. Called the dealership, and realized something was up when he mentioned being disappointed in the previous owner because the wrap was a lie to cover up bad paint job...but I knew it had to be more.

The community has to look out for each other because the industry won't. Glad this info at least helped someone.

Sound advice. Not sure if AutoCheck works like CarFax, but if someone is able to pull a report on AutoCheck about this car, I'm definitely curious if it lists that accident. They might want that information if CarFax doesn't.

Autocheck indicates 4 owners and no accidents reported.

Autocheck indicates 4 owners and no accidents reported.

Wow! Thank you for providing that.

http://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/autocheck/en/experian-data-story-page

Looks like they don't take consumer-provided information either. I mean -- I get why they would only rely on certain sources, but it is unfortunate that someone could pick up a vehicle without knowing parts of it's history if someone has either previously owned the vehicle or can provide proof.

I was looking at this one at first because of the price but the front wheels didn't look centered in either side pic and that was enough for me. Good gumshoeing though cause I do remember seeing that blue one up for sale and didn't know it was the same car!!!

I was looking at this one at first because of the price but the front wheels didn't look centered in either side pic and that was enough for me. Good gumshoeing though cause I do remember seeing that blue one up for sale and didn't know it was the same car!!!

yup, front passenger wheel looks way off center. Wonder how it drives...

Even the previous owner on Prime said that this car wasn't worth asking price, though he didn't say why. Some poor individual paid around $27k for it repaired in the past year, IIRC.

Even the previous owner on Prime said that this car wasn't worth asking price, though he didn't say why. Some poor individual paid around $27k for it repaired in the past year, IIRC.

oh wow, someone paid $27k for that....?

Back