1994 lower mileage NSX maintenance question

I have just bought a 94 NSX in great condition with 28k miles.

The previous owner did not have the timing belt or water pump replaced after the requested 6 year period.

Can you recommend a course of action?

1. Can they check to see the condition of the timing belt or the water pump?

2. If I decide to not get these two things replaced now, when they go, can they destroy my engine?

Is there anything else I should have done on the car? Vale adjustment?

The Acura dealer I had it checked out at said the breaks and the clutch were fine.

Thanks much for your help!

Congratulations on your new car! you must be excited. A 94 with 28K miles you should have very little to worry about. To answer your questions:

1. Not really. There is no way to really know the condition. Chances are it is still in very good shape. However, many including me recommend getting it done within the next year or so because...

2. It WILL destroy your engine in case it is old and snaps. You will spend thousands in repairs and your car will be devalued. Strongly recommended to do so. Don't rush it. Spend some time, look around, find a good mechanic you can trust and get it done right for a fair price. Only 6 years and 24K, you have time to look around and do it right. no worries

Have the valve adjustment done at the same time as the belt and pump. That portion of the motor will be apart anyway and it will save you labor cost. The actual adjustment does not take long at all. Removing the parts to do it takes some time and it will be apart anyway for the belt.

Don't be shy and let us know what State/city you live in? Members who live near you can give you a good recommendation on where to go. Make sure to visit a dealer that members here have used and approve.
A bad dealer tech will screw up your NSX if they don't know what they are doing. Doing the timing belt incorrectly will damage your motor. Although they would be liable, who needs that kind of headache. Love your new toy and only let the best touch it.

Good Luck!

Is there anything else I should have done on the car? Vale adjustment?

I would verify with the previous owner what scheduled maintenance has been done when. If he's not sure, then perhaps he can give you the name of the dealer/mechanic who did the service, whom you could contact to pull up the service records.

If you can't find out ANY service history on the car, then I would go through the entire maintenance schedule and assume that nothing has been done. In addition to the valve adjustment, that means doing quite a few services - replacing the fluids (transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil), replacing the filters (air filter, oil filter, fuel filters), spark plugs, and numerous inspections.

I agree with the other comments regarding the timing belt and fuel pump. Acura recommends 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. If you don't have the miles, how long do you feel comfortable stretching the time interval? This year it's at 8 years for a '94, and that's as far as I would want to stretch it. If I had a '91-93 that had never had it done, I would have it done as soon as possible.

Thanks for the replies!

Is it the water pump or the fuel pump that needs to be replaced?

How much is all this going to cost me? The belt and the pump?

I am located in the Boca Raton area of Florida. This is not my first NSX but I have never owned one out of warranty before.

Originally posted by ck:
Is the timing belt replacement interval the same for all NSX's? I heard something about newer ones not requiring any service for 100k.

The new NSX now claims:

"No scheduled tune-ups required for 105,000 miles**

**Does not apply to fluid and filter changes or periodic inspections. Please refer to the maintenance section of your owner's manual to determine all appropriate maintenance intervals."

Traditionally, the word "tune-up" often refers to the replacement of the spark plugs. As stated in the asterisked explanation, this interval explicitly excludes many other scheduled maintenance items. I don't know whether the timing belt and water pump is extended to this mileage interval or not.

Is it the water pump or the fuel pump that needs to be replaced?

The water pump. The extensive procedure to gain access to the water pump for replacement is almost the same as that for the timing belt. Since both items eventually need replacement, they recommend doing both at the same time.

How much is all this going to cost me? The belt and the pump?

Approximately $1200, give or take. You can see typical costs for various services, including the timing belt and water pump replacement as well as other scheduled maintenance items, in the FAQ by clicking here.

I am located in the Boca Raton area of Florida.

Keep in mind that some of the dealers in Florida offer discounts on parts and/or service to members of the NSX Club of America, as you can see on the club's website by clicking here. So you might want to join the club before arranging for service at your participating dealer. If you send in your membership application by fax or Paypal, it usually gets processed, and your member number e-mailed to you, within 48 hours.

This is not my first NSX but I have never owned one out of warranty before.

The cost of scheduled maintenance is actually quite predictable, based on how many miles you drive over what interval of time. And, in general, the costs of these services are not much more than those of most family cars, and considerably less than those of many other high-performance supercars.

Originally posted by nsxtime:
...I am located in the Boca Raton area of Florida....

There are of us around if you ever want to get together for a DIY at my place. So far we've managed to do complete brake overhauls, exhaust installs, and body kits in my garage; Including a Taitec Carbon Fiber rear diffuser.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 11 February 2002).]

Back