• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2001 Bmw M3 / M5

Please, no flame.

I love my nsx. Owned it for over 5 years. I'm trying to get something less flashy.

What are your thoughts about the BMW M3? or maybe the bigger (and heavier!) M5 ?

Please, no flame.

I love my nsx. Owned it for over 5 years. I'm trying to get something less flashy.

What are your thoughts about the BMW M3? or maybe the bigger (and heavier!) M5 ?

As a Replacement or an addition? Need a Family Car, or Coupe is fine? Reliability?

If that last one is important, don't look at either! Speaking from a 500+rwhp E36 M3 owner ;)

I am assuming that you are referring to the older E46 M3 and the E39 M5 which are great cars.

The M3 has a great motor and likely compete very close in stock to stock racing with the NSX. Most of the M3s came with SMG (computer controlled F1 like trans) but the manual is a better and funner car to drive.

The M5 has one of the best V8 motors around and drives buttery smooth. I really miss my old M5. You have plenty of room for the family and can still have a ball on the track.

Good luck!

I don't have either but still own a 01 BMW 325. I agree with the person on top that the reliability is not there. My engine light came on at least 3 times a year. It was really annoying. My car failed once in my 4 years of owning it. I still loved the car because of the handling and engineering. I would still buy another bimmer such as the M3 even with the reliability issue because it drives great that's why its a BIMMER!

Please, no flame.

Not a big fan of the M3. Over priced and very heavy.

I always been in love with the M5. I would recommend you purchase one of these, the prices really have come down. You can get one in good condition with about 60-80k miles for only 20k! its a real bargen.

Matt337 recently bought an M5. I have'nt talk to him about it but with the 500hp/V10, I'd easily pick over the M3.:rolleyes:

My former 2002:

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

if I would equate her to a chick. She is hot yes, but she always takes your money, and she is a major bitch. If you want an unreliable car with a worthless warranty and bad service dept, then she's right for you.

p.s. after a whopping 2 months of ownership, I decided she was not for me, and I sold her.

I will defenitively go with M3. M3 is more noticable car than the M5. But be careful when you pick one. First series E46 M3-s has an issue with the engines expecially with the crankshafts. http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.html. My opinion is to look for 2003-up M3. I was also interested to bought one M3 for me about three years ago, but I was little short with money than so I finished up with Audi TT. I will not exclude M5 but M3 are way far fun to drive than M5.

E46 M3s are fun. Not nearly as reliable of course as the NSX. The 50k service is a hefty one (valve adjustment required). Brakes are expensive if you go through a dealer. I agree that the stardard 6 speed is more fun than the SMG. I got mine because I wanted a car with a decent back seat. It barely fits that bill. E39 M5s have tons of torque and are faster in a straight line. I think both are great cars. Like usual, it just comes down to personal taste.

E46 M3s are fun. Not nearly as reliable of course as the NSX. The 50k service is a hefty one (valve adjustment required). Brakes are expensive if you go through a dealer. I agree that the stardard 6 speed is more fun than the SMG. I got mine because I wanted a car with a decent back seat. It barely fits that bill. E39 M5s have tons of torque and are faster in a straight line. I think both are great cars. Like usual, it just comes down to personal taste.

Wow, I'm shocked at the reliability issuse. I thought they were rather bullit proof. I've always wanted one {manual 6 spd} but now I'm having second thoughts.:frown:

Wow, I'm shocked at the reliability issuse. I thought they were rather bullit proof. I've always wanted one {manual 6 spd} but now I'm having second thoughts.:frown:

I have owned several BMWs - all M cars - and yes they do have annoying little issues that cost several hundred dollars each......

My first Love - '98 E36 M3 - has more than 200K and has been flawless. I have tracked her more than 10 times and to date only two brake jobs, one clutch, water pump and radiator.

The new M5 went in for rountine service and came back with new SMG and new engine programming (recall) but the she seems to be a new girl. The software added a lot of power.

Go with a later model E39 M5 and make sure it has extended warranty. I heard that GE offers a 5 year extended warranty for less than $2.5K.

Good Luck!

My other car is an M5 also (2001). Makes a great companion car to the NSX because it is super sporty but can take 4 or 5 adults and has a reasonable size trunk.

But, maintenance costs are higher, expecially brakes. Has a bunch of quirks that makes it a BMW. Many people love BMWs.

M5s are total sleepers. Almost no one will notice and less will try to race you. Once a guy in a WRX STI did. But, if you do race someone, there is a 99% chance you'll win. :)

I thought I'd sell my M5 after a year or so, but actually paid off the loan and still have it. If you want to buy one, I might sell. PM if interested. (Carbon black, 70k miles, all maintenance records.)

Reliability aside. If I had to replace the NSX and my only choices were an M3 or M5, I would go with the M3. However if I was looking for a second car, then it would be the M5 for practicality of the practicality (if you can call a V10 practical :tongue: :wink: ), comfort, and room.

Definitly get an M car that still has an extended warranty on it. I wouldn't get another bimmer without it. Great to drive, actually haven't driven a sedan that felt better yet, but repair costs are frequent and ridiculous. If M3, get an '03 or later, as previously stated.
Browse bimmerforums.com and you'll get an idea of what you can expect.

Is the reliability of all 3 series BMW's that bad? A friend of mine just orderd a 328 sedan. He is a honda guy (accords and civics) but wanted to try something a bit more sporty. If they are that unreliable, I'm so surprised how well 3 series cars hold their value.

No the standard 3 series cars are the bread and butter cars for BMW, as they sell more of those than any other model, and compared to the rest of the lineup they hold up pretty well. Keep in mind, the engines (except certain Ms) and drivetrain of most BMWs are pretty bulletproof; its the packaging and smaller components that the company sometimes cheaps out on. And fixing/replacing those quirks can become draining, expensive, and therefore frustrating, being a premium brand car and all.... just my opinion...

Case for the E46 M3. The competition package which is modeled after the CSL which is like an NSX-R

M3atErhard.jpg

IntrlgsBlueM3indriveway.jpg

Oh and look at that azz!
IntlgsblueM3rear.jpg

I had an 05 M3 that I got rid of to get something for the wife and miss it terribly! I've got a rule about buying used BMWs ( don't do it ) but the E46 M3 will probably be an exception. I had an SMG and hated it at first ,but once I learned to drive it right LOVED IT! Since you have an NSX the 6 speed manual from BMW will feel rubbery , irritating and floppy. Both the 6 spd and the SMG clunk when driven slowly. Believe it or M3 love to be driven hard and drives like a lighter car than it is.

Again check out the SMG. People who don't like it usually only drove it once or twice and it takes awhile to get accustomed to. It is a great compromise as you still have a manual transmission ,but if need be can be switched to an auto mode for a non stick driver to use.

Please, no flame.

May I just make a suggestion? If you want something a little different, go drive a Mercedes CL55 AMG. I will not be able to put into words here for you the level of refinement and luxury that this car has over any 3 or 5 series. And now with the new CL out, they are running at bargain basement prices. It seats 4 comfortably, has a huge trunk, is the quietest smoothest car short of a Rolls, is one of the safest vehicles money can buy. The CL65 AMG was $180,000. 604 HP. Now they are on ebay in the 70's. You can get the $120,000 CL55 in the 40's. It is very classy, rather understated, drives great, feels sporty (but not anything like an NSX) and has every creature comfort on the planet. I mean the soors suck themselves shut! Right now one of the biggest bargains in used car land.

The one below is on ebay for 40K. It has 500 HP supercharged AMG motor, 8 piston AMG brakes, parktronic and keyless go (both are options).

4A041298-5sm.jpg

4A041298-10sm.jpg

uk-CL55AMG-overview-410x220-01.jpg

Last edited:
Always liked those Mercedes CL cars. The big benzes and bimmers depreciate so hard you can find some good buys in the used market.

Always liked those Mercedes CL cars. The big benzes and bimmers depreciate so hard you can find some good buys in the used market.

That's generally because they're crap. S class and 7 series tend to have a lot of problems. It's better to buy those cars new as if you buy used you tend to pay the balance of what you saved buying used is parts and service. They get you either way.

Yeah you want to get one with a warranty but they are not that bad. Its just the repairs are expensive. I don't think it is any worse than most 5 series. But it is about 3 levels up in terms of car. Everything you touch on these oozes quality. Move a lever, open a gas cap, release the cupholder mechanism... it all feels extremely well-oiled. A 7 series BMW feels rough in comparison.

You just nudge the door shut and see the motors pull it in, you sit on the back seat and the sensor automatically raises the headrests eletronically. You press the tunnel button and the windows and sunroof all close and the cabin filter activates. I never smelled anyone's exhaust fumes. You roll the windows up and the 2 pane glass isolates the whole world. You lower or raise the car with a press of a button in the car. Go above 55 and it lowers itself. Press a button and a motor will open *AND* slowly close the trunk. There are no cheap materials anywhere, there are no screws to be seen. The paint job is 3X better than on any Japanese car I have seen to date. The Active Body Control keeps the car level on mild to modest turns. You are turning, but not leaning... The rearview mirror is motorized with memory, the headliner is alacantara. Lock the car up and it lights up all around itself with the fog lights, the rear plate lights, the downlights from the signaling mirrors. Touch the door handle and it unlocks. There is small "mood lighting" that gently lights little areas in the car at night. Your feet... the cubbies and compartments, the doorhandles. I can go on and on. There is a reason this car costs 125-135K. When you own you will see there is a lot of "car" here. Mine was the most comfortable machine I owned. I felt better getting out than when I got in.

Yeah you want to get one with a warranty but they are not that bad. Its just the repairs are expensive. I don't think it is any worse than most 5 series. But it is about 3 levels up in terms of car. Everything you touch on these oozes quality. Move a lever, open a gas cap, release the cupholder mechanism... it all feels extremely well-oiled. A 7 series BMW feels rough in comparison.

You just nudge the door shut and see the motors pull it in, you sit on the back seat and the sensor automatically raises the headrests eletronically. You press the tunnel button and the windows and sunroof all close and the cabin filter activates. I never smelled anyone's exhaust fumes. You roll the windows up and the 2 pane glass isolates the whole world. You lower or raise the car with a press of a button in the car. Go above 55 and it lowers itself. Press a button and a motor will open *AND* slowly close the trunk. There are no cheap materials anywhere, there are no screws to be seen. The paint job is 3X better than on any Japanese car I have seen to date. The Active Body Control keeps the car level on mild to modest turns. You are turning, but not leaning... The rearview mirror is motorized with memory, the headliner is alacantara. Lock the car up and it lights up all around itself with the fog lights, the rear plate lights, the downlights from the signaling mirrors. Touch the door handle and it unlocks. There is small "mood lighting" that gently lights little areas in the car at night. Your feet... the cubbies and compartments, the doorhandles. I can go on and on. There is a reason this car costs 125-135K. When you own you will see there is a lot of "car" here. Mine was the most comfortable machine I owned. I felt better getting out than when I got in.

Wait till Steveny chimes in:biggrin:

My wifes AMG scares me. We didn't start it for a few days because she was driving her BMW truck ( which scares me also ) and it started smoking and I could hear the valves clacking really loudly. I let it run for awhile and it never stopped clacking even as she drove off to work. I still remember the salesmen telling "Oh yeah the engine is handmade"

Back