• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2002 NSX rear lights help

I just bought a 2002 black on black, vin 2T000110, and I got it detailed. After I left I noticed the backlights had moisture inside. Has anyone had the similar problem? It appears a portion of the top area are slightly separated from the seal, if that makes sense. I'd appreciate it if anyone has had a similar issue or knows how to reinstall the lights properly.

The headlights have to be opened up and resealed.

I know a guy in socal that does this kind of service. While you are at it, you can also fix/prevent the bouncing issue at the same time.

Ok. Yes headlights seem fine. I appreciate the advice. I'll see what I can do myself. Another random question, is there any good manual that I should have to help me in the future? I like to do as much as I can myself that is minor.

Yeah. Check eBay I've seen few for sale recently. You want service manual for basic maintenance and more

Another random question, is there any good manual that I should have to help me in the future? I like to do as much as I can myself that is minor.
The factory service (shop) manual is the best by far. You can order them from the publisher here. For a 2002, you'll find 95 percent of what you need in the 1997 NSX service manual (item 61SL006), which costs $74.50. If you want to have a manual that's totally complete, you'll also need the 2002 NSX supplement (61SW001, $28.50) which covers all the differences for the 2002 NSX.

Ok. Yes headlights seem fine. I appreciate the advice. I'll see what I can do myself. Another random question, is there any good manual that I should have to help me in the future? I like to do as much as I can myself that is minor.

There is a free shop manual you can download in the Wiki.
It covers everything you will need to do on your NSX.

I had the same tailight leak but did not take my lights apart.
I removed the lights and replaced the gaskets between the body and the lights.
Make sure you remove the center light first per the manual.
After removing the plastic trim pieces from the lights I took clear silcone seal and carefully ran a bead completely around the joint where the red light joins the black plastic.
It takes quite a while to get the silicone in all the nooks and crannies but if you do it right and let it cure it will seal the lights.

This sounds kind of radical but, I carefully drilled a few very small holes, using a Dremel, in the bottom of the tail lights to allow the moisture to evaporate. You can't see the holes and I no longer have the water issue. The holes are so small and low to the bumper that water doesn't appear to re-enter through them. And if it did, it would evaporate anyway. At some point I'll reseal them as this is just a good temporary fix. The water isn't leaking into the trunk so there is no hurry and I wouldn't use high pressure when I wash the tail light area even if it were sealed.

Most cases condensation in the tail lights is caused by moisture in the trunk weather its from tail light gasket leakage, trunk leakage or just wet rags left in the trunk. The tail lights are not sealed units, they vent to the trunk which is very hot so not unlike a solar still, water condenses on the relatively cool inner surface of the lenses.

Most cases condensation in the tail lights is caused by moisture in the trunk weather its from tail light gasket leakage, trunk leakage or just wet rags left in the trunk. The tail lights are not sealed units, they vent to the trunk which is very hot so not unlike a solar still, water condenses on the relatively cool inner surface of the lenses.
It's not always water in the trunk. My trunk is perfectly dry. But the lenses of the lights somehow warped slightly from the back plate. Apparently it's a common problem. Anyway if driven in a heavy rain or washed with too much water pressure the moisture can get in and never go away until I did the holes so that it could air out. the temporary fix works and can be plugged with a very tiny amount of clear silicone after the repair. Either way, I know it's something that will need addressed eventually.

I have a 2002 trunk deck with the oem second spoiler and this thing is killing me with leaks, I am about to seal it to the trunk LOL

it is bolted from under with the trunk lock hook then pops off from above this may be your problem since its mine also.

My 04 also suffers from this moisture in the tail lights. While at NSXPO this year I wandered about the lot while we were at S1A looking at the rear ends of NSX and the majority of them had moisture in the tail lights. From the research I have done so far drilling holes is not the best solution. I think Larry B commented on those holes negatively.

See post #19

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rear-taillights?highlight=tail+light+moisture

Last edited:
Every set of NSX tail lights I've had develops this issue since I live in a humid climate. It is a design flaw, one of the few annoyances on an otherwise brilliant car. Easily forgivable considering the awful quirks of Ferraris and Lamborghinis only a few years old.

There seem to be multiple possible problems but I suppose there is a fix for one or all of them if you are determined.

Last edited:
All I know is that the very small holes I drilled worked. I don't keep wet rags in the trunk and the trunk doesn't leak or reek. With the humidity here in South Texas, my tail lights were fogged 24/7 until the holes. The car doesn't see rain except for the last two NSXPOs where it saw the most rain since I've owned it. And when the rain eventually stopped, the lights were dry in a few hours. I'd rather the moisture have an escape then have the lights fogged up all of the time. That's when corrosion takes place. That said, I do need to reseal the lights as a more permanent solution.

Add me to the list. My 2002 has the same issue, it's as if the plastic lens has bowed out from the black plastic trim.

As others have mentioned... small tiny holes drilled into the lens have remediated the issue. Over the winter I'm going to try to heat up the lens and re shape it to see if that fixes the shape.

Back