• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 Paint any different??

I took my car in for service today and saw a red 2004 NSX. I looked real hard at the paint and noticed that it looked like it was "orange peeled" much more than my 95 ever looked.

Any ideas why this is or is it my imagination?

Ed

yes they have a new red color. a bit more Ferrari in my mind, kind of with an imola tone to it. Less fire engine.

It wasn't the color... it was the actula paint quality. The newer model paint had lots of "organge peel"

No I did not, but when I go back tomorrow to pick up my car I can check. I was very disappointed in the quality of the paint.

emdoller said:
No I did not, but when I go back tomorrow to pick up my car I can check. I was very disappointed in the quality of the paint.
If you could post the last 8 chars of the VIN (year, factory, serial #) that would be interesting.

Also, if you can open the driver's door and get the paint code from the sticker on the jamb, I'd be curious about that too.

I'm not in the market for a 2004, I've just got the usual curiosity about all things NSX. :smile:

Don't know about the NSX specifically, but I am dismayed by how bad the orange peel is on even the most expensive new luxury vehicles. Lexus, M-B, nobody is immune it seems. I have heard it theorized that it has to do with the environmental agencies restricting certain solvents, but I have never read anything reliable that says that.

I agree, my 91 NSX's paint is better than any Lexus, M-B, BMW, etc you can buy. Of all the luxury auto makers, Jaguar seems to have the least orange peel.

Well, my better 1/2's 2005 Lexus RX 330's metallic white has one of the best paint jobs I have seen. It was built in Japan, so US paint laws probably do not apply. My 1995 Toyota T100 was built in Oregon. Nice paint job, but very thin..........

archangel0585 said:
yes they have a new red color. a bit more Ferrari in my mind, kind of with an imola tone to it. Less fire engine.
I've seen the New Formula Red ('00-05) side by side with the original Formula Red ('91-99). They are almost totally identical, and virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Tom239 said:
Did you notice whether the seventh-to-last character in the VIN was an S or a T?
You are referring to the plant where the cars are produced. I believe all the '91-04 NSXs were produced in Tochigi ("T"), and all the '05 were produced at Suzuka ("S").

CokerRat said:
Don't know about the NSX specifically, but I am dismayed by how bad the orange peel is on even the most expensive new luxury vehicles. Lexus, M-B, nobody is immune it seems. I have heard it theorized that it has to do with the environmental agencies restricting certain solvents, but I have never read anything reliable that says that.
The term "orange peel" can refer to two different characteristics. One is the intentional surface finish that is not totally flat, and is not a flaw. The other is a flaw in the production process that results in the surface having a pebbled texture to it. While your comments refer to the latter phenomenon, I believe the original question was asked about the former.

nsxtasy said:
You are referring to the plant where the cars are produced. I believe all the '91-04 NSXs were produced in Tochigi ("T"), and all the '05 were produced at Suzuka ("S").
That's what the FAQ says too, but I think it's not correct. There are eight 2004 NSXs on Autotrader at the moment; some of the VINs end in 4Txxxxxx, some end in 4Sxxxxxx.

Here's the VIN: JH4NA21664T000136

I got it from their website. I'll check tomorrow.

Ed

Tom239 said:
That's what the FAQ says too, but I think it's not correct. There are eight 2004 NSXs on Autotrader at the moment; some of the VINs end in 4Txxxxxx, some end in 4Sxxxxxx.
You are correct; I must have been mistaken. Thanks for the update.

I too am noticing more and more brand new vehicles these days with "orange peel" paint jobs. Not just the everyday Saturns, Corollas, etc., but Lexus and Infiniti's too.

nsxtasy said:
The term "orange peel" can refer to two different characteristics. One is the intentional surface finish that is not totally flat, and is not a flaw.
Intentional orange peel? You serious? Must be for all those all those people that hate those seeing their beaters in their luxury sedan's mirror-like finish. :)

CokerRat said:
Intentional orange peel? You serious? Must be for all those all those people that hate those seeing their beaters in their luxury sedan's mirror-like finish. :)
It must be the new mosaic pattern.

The newest NSX's that I have inspected have more orange peel and paint defects in general and the finishes are not as perfect and smooth as the older cars were when they were new IMO.
It's still a great finish.
I have even found dirt in some, something you never used to see, especially in the red. Good eye.

qual may be different...but FYI...so is the red color ;) check the sales slips ..you'll notice the color has a new code. :cool:

archangel0585 said:
qual may be different...but FYI...so is the red color ;) check the sales slips ..you'll notice the color has a new code. :cool:
Yes, the code is different. But have you ever seen the two colors (Formula Red and New Formula Red) side by side? They look virtually identical.

archangel0585 said:

I'm aware and have sprayed and mixed both R-77 and R-510.The quality of the final product from the factory is what I'm seeing that is different regardless of color code. I think that is what emdoller is referring to in his post.

emdoller said:
I took my car in for service today and saw a red 2004 NSX. I looked real hard at the paint and noticed that it looked like it was "orange peeled" much more than my 95 ever looked.

Any ideas why this is or is it my imagination?

Ed

Could've been a repaint if the peel was noticable. Car is close 1.5 to 2 years old possibly. A lot of things can happen in two years.
A family member was looking at a new car once that was damaged during shipping and the dealer fixed and painted it(i saw overspray and peel and questioned them) and put it on the lot as new.
Ya never know.
-j-

nsxtasy said:
Yes, the code is different. But have you ever seen the two colors (Formula Red and New Formula Red) side by side? They look virtually identical.

you know you can see the oarnge peel though, the way it manipulates light is different.. thus the color...is different.

pbassjo said:
I'm aware and have sprayed and mixed both R-77 and R-510.The quality of the final product from the factory is what I'm seeing that is different regardless of color code. I think that is what emdoller is referring to in his post.

I see no conflict in our observations :wink:

This thread is interesting. The last time I was at the dealer, there was a gorgeous new black MDX on the floor. We're talking brand, brand new. When I walked up to it I couldn't believe the HORRIBLE reflection quality of the paint on all panels. Let me be more specific: the actual finish was as smooth as glass to the touch, but the paint was orange-peeled as hell. Reflections were consistently wavy...just like a crappy paint job. I almost laughed out loud.

I would love to hear more about "intentional" orange peel on new cars. This is fascinating.

kgb_agent said:
I would love to hear more about "intentional" orange peel on new cars. This is fascinating.
Certainly, I'd be happy to fill you in further.

When working with today's urethane paints, many manufacturers do intentionally create a subtle "pebbly" texture to the paint finish, which some people here are referring to as "orange peel", rather than paint that is smooth as glass. When you look at the surface, particularly when it is clean and in good light, you can see that the surface is not smooth as glass, but rather, has those slight indentations, but in a consistent way, on all areas of all panels. That's how you can tell that it is intentional - because of its consistency all over the car. It is not accidental, and it is not horrible, certainly no more so than you might consider a particular color "horrible" (or laugh at it) because it doesn't appeal to your taste. It is done that way because that is what the manufacturers are striving for on that particular vehicle, whether they are trying to achieve that particular look, or (more often) trying to make a more durable finish, or for whatever other reason. (Some manufacturers even have specs for exactly how much of this texture the finish must have.) I've seen some beautiful, high-quality, paint finishes on high-end cars, with gloss and depth to the paint, that had this same slight texture to the surface. But if your personal preference is for paint that is mirror smooth (rather than, say, another paint job that might be more durable), then you should simply shop for vehicles that are painted that way, just as some people prefer certain colors, certain types of vehicles, etc.

One of the challenges this creates is for body shops, when body repairs are needed. A high-quality body shop will not try to create a mirror-glass finish to the paint for such cars, but rather, will try to re-create the same surface texture when painting the repaired panels that is on the undamaged panels on the rest of the car. Which, again, is one more indication that the textured finish is intentional - on the part of the repairing body shop, as well as on the part of the original manufacturer.

Manufacturers also create a different look on specific individual panels for other reasons as well. For example, plastic bumpers may have a rougher surface texture because they add a flexing agent to the paint so that it will adhere to these panels when they flex, which they will naturally do more than metal panels.

Last edited:
Back