• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2017 vs 2019+

Who up there ^ mentioned buying a car as an investment? That’s not gonna go well except for some vintage or rare jewels.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it. Life is too short. It’s a car.

The extended warranty is available to anyone who has a NSX that is still in warranty which is 4 years/50,000 miles which ever comes first. Most all the Acura Dealers will sell the extended warranty.

as for the difference between the 2017 and the 2019, the major improvements came from the newer tire Conti6 and the thicker sway bars there were changes to the software for the struts as well as for the electric motors up front. You can get aftermarket sway bars from Eibach if they will sell them. I have their units and they remind me of the comptech over the OEM for my 2001 NSX. There was no mods to the frame as the upgraded sway bars fit using the same location. You could also purchase the 2019 sway bars from Acura. The software changes I suspect are very subtle. Unless you drive professionally,I doubt you will feel cheated in any way. I don’t know you so I can not comment on whether you would notice the difference, all I can say is the NC1 is one hell of a car that I believe exceeds most everyone’s skill set.

if a new car comes out in 2022 then I believe the current $20,000 discount will disappear. Again there are roughly only 2400 in the world. Also look what happened with the previous generation car. The 2002 was a significant change in front and rear. Many people upgraded their cars. I recall it cost around $15000 if everything was OEM. You coul substitute aftermarket hood and other parts, but the headlights had to be OEM. So if the 2022 is changed and people can buy those components that might be what happens.

as for the car losing value like $40,000 to $50,000 in a year that is just bullshit. Who ever told you that doesn’t know what the hell they are talking about. The older cars are already discounted from new. The depreciation on the NC1 is very low. Even if they come out with a improved car as many suggest, there is no reason that should cause the older cars to lose value. They are super cars not mass produced Toyota Corollas.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on your budget. It seems like 2017s are going for around 120s-130s and 2019+ are 140s ++

edit: I could be off here but it seems like prices have gone up at least $10K or more for all years, except for the brand new cars. I presume dealers are shooting for MSRP.

I presume if they make any meaningful updates for MY 22 and given the current market condition, discounts, including AFS rebate, may not be around.

Thoughts on a good price for a low mileage fully loaded 2019?

The early cars 2017 often Dealership ordered, were highly optioned. Mine was $206k. Because they did not sell quickly Dealerships started to reduce the options to have a lower MSRP. So you will you see cars with a MSRP $165k to $180k. I think a reasonable premium would be to pay around $15k over the equivalent 2017 NSX. Keep in mind that there is essentially little difference between 2017,2018,2019,2020, and 2021s. After all only 2400 Worldwide. So just find the car that has the color and options and forget what year the car is. You will replace the tires anyway. The rest is mostly noise. You can add larger sway bars. Unless you are Randy P you won’t be any faster on the track. Mario Cano tracked his car a full 20 days and never complained that he did not have a 2019 or later car.

This was very, very helpful! Based on it, why would you buy the 2017?
As [MENTION=6718]drmanny3[/MENTION] said most of the improvements the average or above average driver would never be able to tell. The new tires had the biggest impact and I would guess most NSXs are now on the CS6 or another tire. Easiest improvement.

In my 17 I’ve never thought, hey I wish this was flatter around corners. It’s damn flat so the 17 sway bars are fine in my opinion.

And for the electric motors up front and SW tweaks, for them to kick in with SH-AWD added, on the street and around a corner you’re really pushing and getting into big speeds really fast. Maybe some do this but around here it too risky. About the only time I get a boost from the electric motors is when passing or on a straight section with plenty of visibility. Maybe I do get a slight boost in some corners and I can’t tell, which is fantastic its transparent. All depends how strong your self-preservation instinct is.

All these improvements help on the track. I bet if most of us did a blind test with a 17 and a 20 we couldn’t tell the difference - street or track.

I call this video BS as he’s school-girl giddy with these improvements driving on the street. The 2 seconds at Suzuka was by a pro (assuming factory Honda) and I wonder how many laps it took to get that 2 seconds. Maybe the video is a way to save face as reviews and opinions are changing to the positive.

As @drmanny3 said most of the improvements the average or above average driver would never be able to tell. The new tires had the biggest impact and I would guess most NSXs are now on the CS6 or another tire. Easiest improvement.

In my 17 I’ve never thought, hey I wish this was flatter around corners. It’s damn flat so the 17 sway bars are fine in my opinion.

And for the electric motors up front and SW tweaks, for them to kick in with SH-AWD added, on the street and around a corner you’re really pushing and getting into big speeds really fast. Maybe some do this but around here it too risky. About the only time I get a boost from the electric motors is when passing or on a straight section with plenty of visibility. Maybe I do get a slight boost in some corners and I can’t tell, which is fantastic its transparent. All depends how strong your self-preservation instinct is.

All these improvements help on the track. I bet if most of us did a blind test with a 17 and a 20 we couldn’t tell the difference - street or track.

I call this video BS as he’s school-girl giddy with these improvements driving on the street. The 2 seconds at Suzuka was by a pro (assuming factory Honda) and I wonder how many laps it took to get that 2 seconds. Maybe the video is a way to save face as reviews and opinions are changing to the positive.

Yep, not a big fan of that guy. "Yea, they got it righter... it's righter" LOL

Here's an old post from owners' perspective:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/212880-Just-went-from-2017-NSX-to-2019-NSX

Last edited:
NbyNW said:

Agree. Most people don't understand how fast the cars are already. The 2019 tweaks were mostly to appease the pro drivers and magazine reviewers, especially in Japan. Mr. Kurosawa and Keiichi Tsuchiya were both critical of its handling at the limit. Us mere mortals will not notice the difference.

Are you in the NorthWest?

He is based on California. He's a great resource here on Prime and if I were buying a NC1 (if Mrs. Honcho ever says yes), I would buy from him, regardless of geography.

The early cars 2017 often Dealership ordered, were highly optioned. Mine was $206k. Because they did not sell quickly Dealerships started to reduce the options to have a lower MSRP. So you will you see cars with a MSRP $165k to $180k. I think a reasonable premium would be to pay around $15k over the equivalent 2017 NSX. Keep in mind that there is essentially little difference between 2017,2018,2019,2020, and 2021s. After all only 2400 Worldwide. So just find the car that has the color and options and forget what year the car is. You will replace the tires anyway. The rest is mostly noise. You can add larger sway bars. Unless you are Randy P you won’t be any faster on the track. Mario Cano tracked his car a full 20 days and never complained that he did not have a 2019 or later car.

+1 Great advice here!

When most of the performance improvement from "updates" is because of higher performance tires I roll eyes...

He is based on California. He's a great resource here on Prime and if I were buying a NC1 (if Mrs. Honcho ever says yes), I would buy from him, regardless of geography.
Definitely a great resource, and for the new folks just remember if you buy from him you have to get it home. That could be an epic road trip or by trailer that could be expensive.

Guess this isn't an issue with no more new ones... wait till the fall!

Last edited:
Back