• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

260 HP Cobalt SS

Video

"Fastest car under $25K"

They failed to count in a used NSX! :biggrin:

I posted this wondering why can't Honda make a fun little car that could take on this Chevy or the SRT-4, or Evo, R32, and the STI? BOOST is where the whole pocket rocket market seems to be moving to and Honda's Si just doesn't cut it anymore. It is an outdated and underpowered concept that really can't outperform any car in it's price range. They need to revive the Integra and put that turbo from the RDX to some good use.

Video

It is an outdated and underpowered concept that really can't outperform any car in it's price range.

..what Honda's don't fit this discription besides maybe the accord and a couple SUV's?

Like some people think and say NSX is just a Honda....

Cobalt is just a caviler, gm sunfire....

But i did drive one and thought it was very quick...

Like some people think and say NSX is just a Honda....

Cobalt is just a caviler, gm sunfire....

But i did drive one and thought it was very quick...
I drove a turbo'd Saturn Sky. Yes they are quick but will it withstand the next 16 years like my NSX did and still be worthy of anything. Doubtful.

A friends wife just bought an 08 SKY Redline Sunday.
Claims its a fun car! & fast!
Thoughts? Have yet to drive........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YglowkN7XwI

Does anyone know how much these cars weigh? @ 173HP it doesn't seem like much...

Every time I see them on the freeway, they'll always try to run with me.. And I dont pull away from them as quickly as I'd expect! :confused:

Theirs has the 2.0 260hp turbo. (Sky Redline) I think......
Thought it was the same as mentioned in the title of this thread.
Thats why I added.....:redface:
yup it is the same
260HP
in a tiny car

Theirs has the 2.0 260hp turbo. (Sky Redline) I think......
Thought it was the same as mentioned in the title of this thread.
Thats why I added.....:redface:

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/sky/features.jsp

The stock ones have 173HP...

I'm not talking about the cobalt talking about the saturn sky ^

The Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice is the same exact car same exact power output.

There are 2 engine options, 173 & 260.
I think the sky has 173 & sky redline has 260.

This is what I'm talking about. This car (Redline) is quicker than the S2K for less money. Most people still say they choose Honda or any import cause of the reliability but I don't think that domestics are less reliable than imports these days, they build some very good cars.

This is what I'm talking about. This car (Redline) is quicker than the S2K for less money. Most people still say they choose Honda or any import cause of the reliability but I don't think that domestics are less reliable than imports these days, they build some very good cars.

can u post a link im confused as to which car we're talking about

can u post a link im confused as to which car we're talking about

Saturn Sky Redline (Turbo) Model

Saturn-Sky-RedLine-003_jpg.jpg

Saturn-Sky-RedLine-004_jpg.jpg

This Topic is about the Cobalt SS Though
08cobaltssturbo_hi001.jpg

I still like my Honda! :D

(Just ordered my headers) dammit! hahah ;)

Reliability is difficult to specifiy. For instance, reliability in the form of the car always starting and electrical things working as they should is not overly important to me.

However, durability* is very important to me. I like cars I can actually use, push to their limits, have some damn fun with, and not worry about breaking things. I agree with you, domestics have come a long way. A newer GM based economy car is probably going to get you where you need to go 99% as reliably as the usually more expensive japanese counterpart. Say Focus vs Civic, an easy 5k+ gap there if I'm not mistaken.

However, at least with slightly older civics and beyond I know you can beat them to hell and back and they just keep trucking. Not sure the same applies with domestics. Similar case with the NSX, the costly exotic [compared to an average car] with costly parts but excellent durability.

The s2000 is over priced. It has been since about 2002. It's painfully obvious when you look at the resale value of the newer cars, that's where the truth cannot be stretched. A friend of mine is selling his 05 with 28k miles for 22k$ and is probably going to take any offer over 20k he can get since he's moving overseas (singapore). The newer s2000's are losing 10 grand in value in 2 years and are only worth 2-3k more than a clean 02-03.

I drove a turbo'd Saturn Sky. Yes they are quick but will it withstand the next 16 years like my NSX did and still be worthy of anything. Doubtful.

You are right , but I cant see owning a car past 3 years, nevertheless 16 years.... I bought a 16 year old NSX, but I could not see myself keeping any car 16 years....Unless its a TRUCK...

The s2000 is over priced. It has been since about 2002. It's painfully obvious when you look at the resale value of the newer cars, that's where the truth cannot be stretched. A friend of mine is selling his 05 with 28k miles for 22k$ and is probably going to take any offer over 20k he can get since he's moving overseas (singapore). The newer s2000's are losing 10 grand in value in 2 years and are only worth 2-3k more than a clean 02-03.

I'd have to disagree a bit. You can buy a new S2000 all day long for $28K-$29K here in Texas and there was a dealer in Ohio selling for $26.5K (sold three of them to s2ki.com members). I have yet to see a used 2006 for $18K or $19K. Most are about $22K, give or take a bit, depending on color and condition, or $5K more than a 2003 and more like $6.5K more than a 2002.

If you're comparing to MSRP, yes, the cars are losing value fast but virtually no one is paying anywhere close to MSRP on them. Actual out-of-pocket losses are about $6K-$7K in the first two years, or 20-25% of original purchase price, which is perfectly reasonable.

You can't get $17K for a 2003 anymore, based on what I've seen, unless it's absolutely perfect. 2004s and 2005s are still in the $19K-$21K range if they're in good condition. Also remember that it's still winter right now in a lot of places - prices are down for convertibles, period. You'll see an upswing of about $750-$1K when spring and summer hit.

We are talking about a turbo'd Cobalt SS here but the Sky Redline was brought into the conversation, which is fine because it reinforces the same point that I was making with the original post - our beloved Honda has lost it's competitive roots.

Both the Cobalt and Sky Redline have 260HP so I wondered if they do have the same engine under the hood... According to their websites, both the Cobalt and the Sky Redline have a "turbocharged, direct-injected, dual overhead cam, ECOTEC 260–hp 2.0L I–4 engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) is the most powerful in its class". So, yes, this is another GM engine that will end up in 18 different cars! :)

Domestics have come a long way but the only thing they are still lacking on is the interior styling and durability. Otherwise, I believe 10-15 years from now at least the Sky Redline (or even base) will be sought after like some older Miatas or AP1's are today.

You can't get $17K for a 2003 anymore, based on what I've seen, unless it's absolutely perfect. 2004s and 2005s are still in the $19K-$21K range if they're in good condition. Also remember that it's still winter right now in a lot of places - prices are down for convertibles, period. You'll see an upswing of about $750-$1K when spring and summer hit.

I bought a 2001 in December of 2002 for $23K with 28K miles. The VW dealer had it at $32K and was trying to get rid of it like mad cause no one was looking at it (CO winter) and who would lok for one @ a VW dealer anyway? Never did I get approved for a loan that quick before.... :)

Got rid of it a month later though... I'm just too tall... :(

I don't know what the Redline is currently retailing for but when they very first hit the market a friend of mine paid $32,000 OTD. It is the one I drove and I feel that was a bit steep.

I don't know what the Redline is currently retailing for but when they very first hit the market a friend of mine paid $32,000 OTD. It is the one I drove and I feel that was a bit steep.

yea id never pay $32K for a GM... :rolleyes:

Hey, how many of you guys had a Radio Flyer wagon as a kid? Remember hopping in, flying down a hill, while trying to steer it? Remember how it would flip over at <i>v<sub>max</sub></i> and how it was only the friction of concrete ripping your flesh that would bring you to a halt? Yeah, good times!

Know why you'd always flip that wagon? It was because there was no steering feedback...

Drive a Cobalt and it's the exact same thing. Of course the Cobalt won't throw you out, but if it's not the absolute least communicative vehicle I've ever driven, it certainly is the least since the Radio Flyer.

25074934-O.jpg

Back