• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd Annual Chicago Area Fall Picnic & Group Drive

A quick list of the people who are interested in attending this event, now scheduled for SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22...

Frank Oles (pasta salad, dessert, plastic silverware, napkins, cups, tablecloth)
DRZZZ
Chitown NSX
plumcraezy (disposable plates)
valenzul
troca (grilling burgers, sausage, buns, condiments, sauces, tongs, trays)
Q (grilling chicken)
Bob Kenney (grill, charcoal, starter)
nsx2tall
RutRX7
ROC CHGONSX
YellowNSX (dessert)
ALSWEL (variety of stuff)
Hard2find
Niranjan (maybe)
NSX 6 (maybe)

Last year, we had 13 cars. We're close to beating that number, I think we can. If you're reading this thread and haven't posted up yet, please do.

I'd also like to get a list going of who is bringing what food (we had LOTS last year, and some repeats). Please post up what you would like to bring.

Some basic things we'll need...
Grilling chicken breasts
Grilling burgers / hotdogs / brats
BBQ sauce / Catsup / Mustard
Salad (Lettuce)
Potato Salad
Pasta Salad
Coleslaw
Plates / napkins / cups
Ice
Dessert Items
Chips
Boom Box
Bean Bag toss/other games

NOTE: Please bring your own water/beverages to drink (and share).

I just got the official "Fall Tour Plates" printed tonight and they turned out cool. Even better than last year.

I am leaning toward a dinner/drinks meet after the drive. Either The Filling Station or Rookies.

Last edited:
I'll bring the meat, heck, I'll even do the grilling as I like to do that, as long as the grill and fuel show up. So far 12 cars, but is that 24 people? I will need a good estimate of the number of mouths to feed by next Thursday so I can get about the right amount of food. Since we're picnicing first (do we have a covered area in case of poor weather?) and likely to be away from any source of cold for the rest of the day, any excess food will have to go home with someone with a good cooler or be dumped. The warm trunk of my NSX isn't going to be good for food storage after the picnic.

Tony, you know how to bring the party.:smile:

Maybe someone else can pitch in and bring some chicken breasts or a pack of brats or something to ease your expense. My guess is around 30 people.

The park is very nice. There is a LARGE covered pavilion, a decent bathroom, etc. If weather should turn, there is plenty of space to take cover.

I'm working on better directions too. Tony, I'll PM you my cell number in case you have any probs.

Also, I'll be driving two vehicles there, as will a few others probably. We'll have a big cooler and places to keep food cold.

30 people no problem. I take it wife/girlfriend (but probably not both) and kids are welcome, for the picnic anyway? I won't buy any meat until Friday so it will all be fresh. Chicken parts, burgers, dogs and brats, Italian sausage. I'll look for a sort of final head count by the end of the week and put together a shopping list then, so speak up guys if you have a prefference (I like legs and thighs myself, or is that telling too much).

Frank, Thanks for the invite, Kathy and I will probably be there!
(early returns are looking good!)

We will bring a dessert.
Kathy likes Chicken
I like everything else

Last edited:
I should make it. It's early, but the weather is looking perfect. I will bring a variety of food, unless told otherwise. Please let me know.

From accuweather:

9/16
Saturday, Sep 22
High: 77 °F RealFeel®: 77 °F
Nice and warm with sunshine

9/17
Saturday, Sep 22
High: 84 °F RealFeel®: 83 °F
Mostly sunny and very warm

9/18
Saturday, Sep 22
High: 84 °F RealFeel®: 84 °F
Very warm with plenty of sunshine

Last edited:
what time you guys gonna be at St charles park on saturday?

Skynet and i will prolly swing by so i can do some meet and greet :cool:

The picnic will start around 1.

The group drive probably won't get under way until 4-4:30.

Still working on dinner plans, for those that are interested.

I'm also working on directions for those coming from downtown and Wisconsin. I'll post up a map quest link.

NOTE: Delnor Woods Park has two entrances and two parking lots. We are parking in the EAST LOT - it is closer to the gazebo.

DIRECTIONS: Delnor Woods Park is located on the East Side of the Fox River in downtown St. Charles.

Take North Avenue (also known as 64 or Main Street) to 13th street. (look for the CarX Muffler shop on the corner). Head north on 13th street.

Take 13th street one block to Wing Street. Turn left on Wing Street, heading West, three blocks to the entrance of Delnor Woods Park.

(if you think you may have problems finding the park, PM me for my cell phone).

FROM WISCONSIN:

Take 94 South to 94/294 branch (in Northbrook).
Head South on 294 (Toward Indiana) (DO NOT TAKE 94 TOWARD CHICAGO)
Continue on 294 to North Avenue Exit (may say Route 64) heading West.
NOTE: This is kind of a confusing exit. Keep to your right, you will loop around on two different ramps in a row.
Continue on North Avenue (also known as Route 64) heading West for quite a while (20 miles approx).
Take North Avenue (also known as Route 64 or Main Street) to 13th street.
Look for the Car-X Muffler shop on the corner. Here is a Mapquest link to the Car-X:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...277&spurl=0&&q=Car-x Muffler&qc=Muffler Shops
Head north on 13th street.
Take 13th street one block to Wing Street. Turn left on Wing Street, heading West, three blocks to the entrance of Delnor Woods Park.

FROM DOWNTOWN:
Take 290 West to 355 South. Exit on North Ave. Heading West.

FOR EVERYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE TO THE PICNIC GROUNDS TOGETHER:
Let's meet at the Krispy Kreme on North Ave. like we always do at 12:30.

Krispy Kreme (in Glendale Heights/Glen Ellyn)
525 E. North Avenue
630-534-6200

The Krispy Kreme is about 1.5 miles West of 355 exit on North Avenue (rt. 64). There is a big parking lot there (you'll also see a Menards).

ALSO BIG REMINDER:
Bring Motorola Talkabout-type FRS radios for the group drive. If you don't have a set, invest in some - they are only like $40 bucks a set.

Last edited:
New development for dinner plans.

Country House can't make a reservation until 8. I think that is too late.

I think a better plan would be when we finish the drive, head to a bar/eatery in St. Charles. After the filling picnic, I don't think many people will be into another big meal anyway.

I think we roll up to The Filling Station in downtown St. Charles (on Main Street). There is a big parking lot a block away, so parking together shouldn't be a problem. It is a fairly large place, with plenty of outdoor seating, and the food is excellent. If that place is too full, there are many other choices in walking distance.

I agree that a sit down meal at 8 is later than I like to eat another big meal, although maybe we could schedule a meet and dinner at the Country House (sounds like a nice place) for another day later in the fall. Thanks for the directions, I should have no problem finding the park and the gazebo. Meat for about 30 people and whatever else catches my eye when I go shopping, look forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

I have a 3 on 3 basketball tournament that day, but I'll try to meet up with you guys afterwards since you're going to be in my neck of the woods. Can someone give me a cell phone I can call to get a hold of you guys?

The lots behind Filling Station do fill up. Might want to think about Rookies for dinner as they've got a big parking lot in the back where everyone can park. Also, it's $1 burger month and they're pretty good burgers.

Jin

I have a wedding on Saturday (not mine). Too bad. Sounds like a good time.

Troca-I am the Sebring Silver NSX in Pewaukee. I believe I have seen you out and about?

Could be, I have been out around Acura Brookfield a few times of late though I live in the Hales Corners area. Green '94 w/R hood and spoiler, gold wheels. Would have to have been a nice day though, mines not a daily driver. Next time get my attention and say "Hi" if you can so I get to know some other NSX's in the area. Lots of things to do around here as well as Chicago.

Could be, I have been out around Acura Brookfield a few times of late though I live in the Hales Corners area. Green '94 w/R hood and spoiler, gold wheels. Would have to have been a nice day though, mines not a daily driver. Next time get my attention and say "Hi" if you can so I get to know some other NSX's in the area. Lots of things to do around here as well as Chicago.

I am pretty sure it was you, as I recall the car was green with an R spoiler and gold wheels. I did not notice the hood.

We were both traveling down Pewaukee Road (164), going North. I believe I gave a wave or thumbs up. It was sometime in the spring or early summer.

There is usually a weekly get together of car enthusiasts (primarily japanese cars) at Kopp's in Brookfield on Wednesday nights at 6pm. There are often 3-4 NSXs in attendance. I haven't made it for a while, but I will try to go next week if the weather is nice.

OK, if weather's good I'll take a ride to Kopp's as well.
Regarding tomorrow's picnic, I haven't seen any other specific sign ups of who's bringing what other than what Frank added to his earlier post of things to bring so I will bring buns for the hamburgers and sausages and condiments, fixins for the same. I think I have plenty of barbeque sauce for the chicken Q is bringing. I'll bring grilling tongs and some extra aluminum pans for the food so stuff doesn't get cooked to death from sitting on the grille. Anyone bringing paper plates, plastic forks, knives, napkins so we have something to eat all this good stuff on? Please be specific before I go shopping tonight, I'll check this thread around 3 and go from there. Thanks

OK, if weather's good I'll take a ride to Kopp's as well.
Regarding tomorrow's picnic, I haven't seen any other specific sign ups of who's bringing what other than what Frank added to his earlier post of things to bring so I will bring buns for the hamburgers and sausages and condiments, fixins for the same. I think I have plenty of barbeque sauce for the chicken Q is bringing. I'll bring grilling tongs and some extra aluminum pans for the food so stuff doesn't get cooked to death from sitting on the grille. Anyone bringing paper plates, plastic forks, knives, napkins so we have something to eat all this good stuff on? Please be specific before I go shopping tonight, I'll check this thread around 3 and go from there. Thanks

I HAVE THE GRILL STEVE "DONATED" LAST YEAR; IT IS SMALL BUT DID THE JOB AT THE LAST PICNIC. I will bring it, the charcoal and starter fluid. Additionally; I will bring some "Munchies" to pass around; What else is needed? :confused:

IT is Looking like a Winner:
Great Weather + Great CARS + Great People = A GREAT TIME :biggrin: :cool:
See you ALL at the picnic. :biggrin:
If anyone needs to contact me, cell # 773-559-8094.

I have updated the "who's bringing what" list. Still a few names on the list with nothing beside them:rolleyes:

A couple of more things we'll need. A boom box/radio and maybe bean bag toss, football, or some other type of field game.

Anyone going to meet up at the Krispy Kreme on North Ave. at 12:30 for the drive up there? Otherwise I'll see you all at the picnic grounds.

Last edited:
I feel bad that I'm not going to be there for the food (due to work:mad: ), but I will be there later for the drive.

Do you think we should start driving a little earlier (ie 3:30 or 4) to prevent driving at sundown/deer crossing time?

Dave

Back