• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

300ZX message board? vs. NSX?

TT.net and zcar are still running awful forum software, eh?
My user ID for zcar is long gone apparently. Amazing accomplishment to live with the zcar forum software long enough to have 7000 posts :) (though it's not nearly as bad as the tt.net software).

I researched the car, as usual, for about 2-3 years before I purchased one. I was already giving technical advice before I even bought the car. I recieved a lot of help from some unbelieveably generous and giving people on that forum and stayed there a year or two afterwards to help.

Most zcar guys are DIY'ers which contributes to much of the activity. There were a few guys on there like Silvertwin and Maxdoc that spent several hours a day just helping people out with their problems, no other forum compares to the crowd at zcar.com IMO.

Everyone once in a while a huge debate flairs up mostly from newcomers about the software, but we always decide to keep it simple. It's much cheaper to run/maintain and not confusing, just to the point.

I sold my 91 twin turbo to a guy who flew down from Ohio to buy it and drive it back. He paid my higher than market average price to the penny and was ecstatic to do so.

I'll pick up a 94-95 twin turbo in another 5-10 years when an unexpected 10% gain on one of my core 10 stocks can pay for it cash. Won't be too long I hope.

I've logged over 150,000 miles in a 93TT, been on twinturbo.net since day one (over 90k hits as TTony) and a couple years before that on the AOL message boards and twinturbo.com before it was corrupted. Been through 3 engines and ended up with 501rwhp after going through all the stages. Very fun car and once you work on one, working on an NSX is easy. 300ZX's are fun cars. Don't listen to what anyone says, they are not very reliable if modded. :frown: However, if you are getting an NA and keeping it stock it should prove a pretty reliable car.

My old Z
7119DSC00787.JPG

7119NSX_Z2.JPG

7119DSC01443_Large_.JPG

lying about owning a 300zx isnt something i would brag about.
if anything, i'd lie about never having one :wink:

the one i had was junk.
it was a hand me down from my cousin before he moved away.
he purchased it in 94, but never maintained it - which included never changing the oil.
i received it in late 04 after sitting for almost 10 years collecting dust.
he smoked maybe a carton a day. so every crevice was packed with cigarette ashes. i know because because i took the interior apart and filled up an entire vacuum bag worth of cig ashes. my mom told me if i keep driving it, im going to get cancer just from driving it. i always held my breath when i drove it. it was that bad.

it drove and sounded like a pickup truck! if i floor it, it wont change into the next gear.
i had to drive it gently. every time i drove it, i would get bombed with bird shite.
no joke. never happened in the NSX. my z32 was the equivelent of Al Bundy's house. it always had a black cloud over it.
mine was not as pretty as some of you guys. mine always was hiding in the back. this is back in 05.
i finally had the entire car stripped and had the frame and engine towed to a junkyard after a year from this photo.
11497DSC00341-1.jpg

i still have some parts im trying to get rid of... for FREE!
the only message board i registered with was 300zxclub.com under the same username here.

i loved the t-tops, it was a great beater,although i always covered my mouth and nose when i drove it. but hated having no AC. people always pointed and laughed at it when i drove. quite embarrassing sometimes.

ok, i mightve over-exaggerated about the weight, but mine was heavy.
i had a 2+2 t-top auto = 3800lbs!!!

i guess your 3200lbs z32 was a slicktop 2 seater, yeah?

ah ha..... so there WAS more to the story. OK... YOUR z32 was junk, it sounded as though you were trying to say they were all junk. i'm also positive the 2+2 weighs considerably less than 3800 lbs. I believe it was closer to 3300 but someone else can google that.

lying about owning a 300zx isnt something i would brag about.
if anything, i'd lie about never having one :wink:

the one i had was junk.
it was a hand me down from my cousin before he moved away.
he purchased it in 94, but never maintained it - which included never changing the oil.
i received it in late 04 after sitting for almost 10 years collecting dust.
he smoked maybe a carton a day. so every crevice was packed with cigarette ashes. i know because because i took the interior apart and filled up an entire vacuum bag worth of cig ashes. my mom told me if i keep driving it, im going to get cancer just from driving it. i always held my breath when i drove it. it was that bad.

it drove and sounded like a pickup truck! if i floor it, it wont change into the next gear.
i had to drive it gently. every time i drove it, i would get bombed with bird shite.
no joke. never happened in the NSX. my z32 was the equivelent of Al Bundy's house. it always had a black cloud over it.
mine was not as pretty as some of you guys. mine always was hiding in the back. this is back in 05.
i finally had the entire car stripped and had the frame and engine towed to a junkyard after a year from this photo.
11497DSC00341-1.jpg

i still have some parts im trying to get rid of... for FREE!
the only message board i registered with was 300zxclub.com under the same username here.

i loved the t-tops, it was a great beater,although i always covered my mouth and nose when i drove it. but hated having no AC. people always pointed and laughed at it when i drove. quite embarrassing sometimes.

ok, i mightve over-exaggerated about the weight, but mine was heavy.
i had a 2+2 t-top auto = 3800lbs!!!

i guess your 3200lbs z32 was a slicktop 2 seater, yeah?

Okay, okay okay. Now I understand. The N/A AUTO 2+2 is indeed the scourge of the Z32 line. Oh boy. That sucker must have been a dog. Add to it no A/C, infinite cigarette ash and the droning exhaust. Yea, I would have to agree that car is junk. :wink:

I loved my 95.

z3.jpg

z2.jpg

z1.jpg

What are the odds, zcar.com just changed their forum software for the first time in over a decade.

Nice to see this post is still alive..LOL

I've had three Z31Ts and two Z32Ts. Won't buy another one ,but still love to look at them online. I had waaaaay too many problems with the two that I had and the mod bug bites hard with those babies. But dang they look good! Also I think the heaviest version was the TT auto at 3415lbs. Same weight as an E46 M3:wink:

I currently own a 93 Z32TT w/47k miles. I have only had a few problems with it, none of which have been major, but one of which is common w/modded Z32TTs (4th gear synchro will grind if shifted hard). Mine has a few bolt ons and is running 15 psi, but has never had any significant problems in the two and a half years I've owned it, and you can ask anyone locally who knows me that I drive the car the way it was intended to be driven :) (She's seen a couple autoX seasons, a track day, and lots of spirited cruises :)). Overall the car is an absolute blast to drive. Like others have said, the brakes are bit uninspiring, but for the most part, it's a very easy car to drive quickly. She doesn't feel as heavy as she is (though going from my DD MR2 to my Z I can definately feel the weight diff), and she's a monster in a straight line and on the highway. I've personally run a 12.8 @ 110mph in mine and I have only put a few grand into her--some of which was suspension! I also had an NA 2+2 prior to my TT and that thing was BULLETPROOF. I had it for four years from 130k to 160k and I don't recall ever having any problems with it at all. It currently has about 175-180k on the original motor, tranny, etc and is running problem free as far as I know.

Also, stock TT's weigh in around 3400-3500 lbs, about the same as a 2+2 NA Auto.

All that being said though, a big part of me is thinking about selling the 'ol Z for an NSX... I've always wanted one despite the fact that it won't run like a Z in a straight line without a supercharger or a stroker kit (what I want!), but I have no doubt it will do everything else better than the Z--stock for stock, anyways.

Oh, and about Z's not holding value... I put mine up for sale not too long ago for $20,000 and had several hits on it. One gentleman was even ready to fly up to KC and take it off my hands, but I backed out at the last second because I'm too attached to her.

Anyone think there's an "Opinions on 300ZX market values" thread in the twinturbo.net forum? :) Anyone know what happened to that forum? I vaguely remember it being a useful forum before around 2000. Now it looks like it's just one page of posts. Did it change?

I've always been a fan of the 300zx. Never owned one though. A buddy of mine bought his 300 at the same time that I bought myself a Supra TT. The Supra was a better car. I don't think that it was better looking but it seemed to be made better. He traded his Z for a Frontier and I sold the Supra for a profit. I'm sure the web is full of 300 dedicated sites. The are a classic design that has certainly held up. Beautiful looking car.

I have a 1990 300ZX TT Stage III (343 rwhp) with 398,000 miles. It got a JDM replacement engine at ~260,000 miles due to a blown head gasket (I could get engines cheaper than I could do the head gasket).
twinturbo.net is still operating but it has a social and a technical side.

For those with more money lying around than they'd like to have, here's somewhere to spend it within the next 14 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391133865998

Owner of a local dealer near me still has an original RED 300ZX in the showroom, his asking price was about the same with mileage about 1100miles.

I've owned 2 turbo Z's before my NSX - They are great cars. One was a 93 TT and the other was a 92 TT. I drove my first one a lot and never had any major issues, however, I did have minor issues from time to time with something leaking or an injector going out. The engines are very strong, however, they are a bitch to work on and need to access from the bottom. It was annoying but I had the best mechanic right by my house (Specialty Z in So Cal). I had upgraded turbos and other bolt ons and it was plenty fast - I was running around 14 PSI and pushing around 450-500 rwhp. Obviously the NSX is in a whole different league but they can get pretty fast for cheap.

Last edited:
I got the chance to drive 1991 300ZX TT with some modifications. (360HP, 19 inch wheels etc) It was really wild.

I know a few NSX owners here have 300's. How do they compare in reliability to the NSX?

I had 5 300ZX's over the course of 6 or so years. 2 non turbos and 3 twin turbos. All were highly modified. Never had a single problem with any of them. Hit 410/426 on stock turbos on my 95.

Had an NSX for 3 years and dealt with 2 broken door handles, a leaky targa top and a broken tie rod. All replaced under warranty but annoying nonetheless.

Twinturbo.net is the premier 300zx forum- but prepare yourself for some high school antics. :cool:

url

000_0322-PTonly.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't that forum more structured and less Wild West 15 years ago?

Once I hit 100k miles on mine everything started breaking, including the engine. Ended up doing a full rebuild with some extras. Added an NSX and never drove the z so eventually got rid of it.

300zxdyno.jpg

Last edited:
I had 5 300ZX's over the course of 6 or so years. 2 non turbos and 3 twin turbos. All were highly modified. Never had a single problem with any of them.

I can remember the 300ZX Twin Turbo being the first car I ever really wanted, my friend's neighbor had one in pearl white that I coveted, but tales of its flawless reliability is something I've never heard. If it's an early 90s Nissan and anything like the R32 GTR (which they are), then you'll have ignition, injection, and HICAS issues (for those equipped).
How does the body fare on one? The R32s rust horrendously. Do they do the same? I still want a pearl white Z32TT at some point.

About 6 months ago, I Google'd my 300ZX's VIN out of curiosity. I almost cried, it's sitting in a junkyard in Colorado wasting away. Amazing though that the OEM JDM clear corners are still on the car :eek:

Back