• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

370Z brief impression after test drive

I do not consider a brief test drive does any car justice. Therefore, this is not a legitimate review.

Test drove a 7spd automatic 370Z (fast than manual btw) today at the dealership. I came in with "extremely high expectation" and I was slightly disappointed by the power, but impressed by overall package.

Power- I expected the car to have a lot more torque, sweet spot seems to be 5k and above (peak torque comes at 5200 rpm). 370Zs typically put down 265 to 280rwhp on dyno. The car does pick up speed (I did took it up to 120mph briefly), but seat of pants kick is a tad disappointing for a 332hp car. It felt like a bone stock 335i.

Gear box: The 7spd automatic does zero to 60 in 4.6sec and have Ferrari F1 style right left (+/-) paddles. It works perfectly and shifts faster any other cars I had ever driven.

Handling: It definitely handles better than my 335i coupe, almost like a slightly larger S2000. Nissan did a great job sizing down this car. It is quite fun to drive. Feel and drives like a purpose built sports car.

Sound: I think it has a great exhaust note. However, there is no noticeable rev down/cruise down noise after downshifting other than a quick blip, I thought that was a bit strange.

Look: This is subjective, I like the look of its over all shape and side profile, but the headlight and taillight is not my cup of tea and will take a little getting used to.

End of initial impression

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The car is "not for me", but I will get to drive it whenever I desire if we do buy one. Therefore, I want a car that I would give me at least a little urge to drive once a while. Unfortunately used car is not an option, otherwise used 996TT or even a E92 M3 would be my top 2 choices. 135i and 335i is not an option as I already have one.

It is unfortunate that there is nothing that is "Sporty" and offer similar performance and total package as 370Z under $40k. I have tried very hard to find a non-American car that offer similar performance under $40k and failed. Naturally a car from Honda would be my top choice, but there is nothing exciting:frown:. Had Honda made S3000, I would had bought two. I gave them a chance, they didn't give me one.

Last edited:
You can get a new Corvette for under $40K, if you get a base model. Shoot for a left-over 2009 and it's readily doable at a few dealerships.

It is not a Corolla. 120mph in 370Z or most sports cars is nothing, it takes "relatively" little time to get up there. Therefore, the acceleration process is not prolonged. In fact, feels more like 60~90mph on other cars. On other cars it may had been exponentially more dangerous as it require extended period of acceleration to reach that speed. It is a test drive after all, I like to get to know the car and drive according to what condition allows.

Last edited:
It is not a Corolla. 120mph in 370Z or most sports cars is nothing, it takes relatives little time to get up there. .

who are these "relatives" you speak of? Not grandma I hope.....:biggrin:

who are these "relatives" you speak of? Not grandma I hope.....:biggrin:
My nsxprime relatives:biggrin:. A lot of them does 120mph+ fairly frequently, one NSX owner even did 160mph in rush hour traffic trying to out run heavily modified Exige S. I am not kidding by the way. My point is already clearly stated in previous post.

It was not a typo. However, "relatively" little time is what I originally intended to say.

Last edited:
Had Honda made S3000, I would had bought two. I gave them a chance, they didn't give me one.

I know this may be Offtopic, but this thread seemed the most recent in mentioning the s3000 when I did a search...

I just had a person from a Honda dealership call and ask me if I wanted a new car. I told them I wanted a newer s2k that no dealers don't carry anymore. he told me they will have the "s3000 in 2012. it's a V6 making 350"

shrug. This is the second time I've been told this by a dealer. the first time a dealer told me, he showed me a picture on the phone someone sent him of a live car.

*shrug*

maybe?

He's probably talking about the one-off S2000 with the TL V6 in it. There are no production plans that anyone knows of.

Back