• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

50 state Catalytic converter's

MCM

Experienced Member
Is anyone making aftermarket Calif. legal Catalytic converter's these days?
Mine are SS DC Sports, 10 yrs old with 40k on 'em.

Have a want add for a stock set in So Cal, but was curious if there were any legal aftermarket options.
(Will probably just try and find a used set close to home)
Too heavy to ship.
If you have a xtra stock pair let me know!
:smile:

The smog guy today tells me those will work in 49 states as of 1/1/10....
But not Ca.
Need to find out for sure......

The smog guy today tells me those will work in 49 states as of 1/1/10....
But not Ca.
Need to find out for sure......

Read through that tread - there has been people to purchase and pass CA smog.

Am 100% sure they will pass.
Just not sure if a CARB # is required now.
Didn't need it prior to 1/1/2010.
Was told today its a new requirement.
Will have to find out for sure.

CARB EO is required for aftermarket catalytic converters in California only. I believe that has always been the requirement, but most smog shops aren't going to lift the car up or crawl underneath to verify the CARB # on the cats. Thus why most people get any catalytic converter to pass. If you want to be totally legal in California, Random technology makes high flow cats for the NSX and does have the CARB EO.

If your smog guy is that strict, then you should find another smog place. There is a lot of smog places that will overlook or look the other way when it comes to parts that aren't CARB legal.

As long as your numbers are under the Maximum amounts, then most smog shops that I go don't really care too much about the other stuff.

Agree. He was working with me though and didnt submit a failed report.
I have used him before with the M3 and he is cool.
He came highly recommended from S14.net & does lots of nice cars.
He also said cold air intakes needed a CARB # as of 1/1/10.
So, back on with the stock airbox.
Your right, if my car was close it would have passed.

Does taking the traction control off make much of a difference?
Forgot to do that.

Yes, the TCS can have an effect on the smog numbers.

Everytime I do my smog, I turn the TCS off. There is a couple of ways to turn off your TCS. The easiest way is the button near your key ignition. The other way is to locate the TCS module in the back panel behind the driver seat. Unplug the TCS unit.

What are you smog numbers?

Not sure, he aborted after a long test and said it would have failed.
Code 20, high emitter?

He made it seem like he did me a favor not submitting the test.
Still was charged $62.00 though........

It would have failed with non CARB numbered CF / K&N cold air induction anyway.
Was told that went into effect 1/1/10 in Ca.
So, the OEM air box is now installed.

Will get the car into Ramon & Tom this week for some expert advice.

From what I can surmise, since the cars are now driven on the rollers, and the rollers don't always give optimal and even traction, the TCS may wrongly interpret the data from the sensors and start altering whether to interfere with shutting down the engine at the wrong time and then turning it back on and then back down and so on thinking it has a slippage problem. It seems hard enough for most techs. to keep the engine running smoothly at the programmed RPM's the computer demands for each test cycle without having the TCS kicking in and screwing things up. I've always heard to "turn it off," before the test.

Back