• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91-01 vs 2002+ Tail Lights - What do you prefer?

NA1 or NA2 Tail Lights for a NA1 NSX?

• NA1

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • NA2

Votes: 70 55.1%

• Total voters
The 2002+ front and rear updates were done as after thoughts to extend the dismal sales life of the NSX. The original designers never intended for the bugeyes or the gimmicky ovals in the rear lenses. It spoils the design of the car.

What Honda should have done is update the performance every year to keep the car relevant.

With the exception of the orange turn signals, is there any difference in the diffusers inside the tail lights or the outer lens?

With the exception of the orange turn signals, is there any difference in the diffusers inside the tail lights or the outer lens?

No. I had both 91-01 and 02+ tail lights taken apart due to a damaged rear case on my 02+ lights. I ended up using the back base of my 92 tail lights with the 02+ front lens. Aside from the diffuser in the 02+ having the oval cutout, its identical.

I did all cycles:

91-01 Style
DSC01770.jpg

02+ Style
DSC05546.jpg

02+ Custom Style, yes, I HATE the orange! lol
DSC_7867.jpg

IMHO 02+ is the way to go, then make the Orange red, so is subtle, I used TESTORS Clear Apple candy red, 2 smooth layers, easy and can be removed :)

Oscar

The 2002+ front and rear updates were done as after thoughts to extend the dismal sales life of the NSX. The original designers never intended for the bugeyes or the gimmicky ovals in the rear lenses. It spoils the design of the car.

What Honda should have done is update the performance every year to keep the car relevant.

1912-so-much-win_inline.jpg

Last edited:
Oscar I freaking love it paint them red I like the circle but the yellow was UGGGG

gat any other pics of the rear like a close up of the oval lens

I have a simple new project now damn it man something else I have to do to my car RRGGGG

Oscar I freaking love it paint them red I like the circle but the yellow was UGGGG

I have a simple new project now damn it man something else I have to do to my car RRGGGG

I must agree though... It would be nicer if those circles/ovals in the rear tail were painted red.... Hmmm something to consider for my 03...already painted the valence so it's completely body color.... Maybe paint it red then smoke the whole thing... The front end however is imo a definite improvement... I would have likely bought an 06 Exige S in place of my 03 if my only option was pop up lights. It was listed in the same price range with 45K miles. As much as I love what they represent as cars, and the 90s to 01 look a bit too dated for me.

Anyone happen to see any animated gifs of pre 2002 vs 2002+ rear tail lights blinking/turning? Trying to make up my mind... oem or updated (but kinda out of place) ovals.

I did all cycles:

91-01 Style
DSC01770.jpg

02+ Style
DSC05546.jpg

02+ Custom Style, yes, I HATE the orange! lol
DSC_7867.jpg

IMHO 02+ is the way to go, then make the Orange red, so is subtle, I used TESTORS Clear Apple candy red, 2 smooth layers, easy and can be removed :)

Oscar

Am I the only one that liked the OEM yellow ovals better? The car looks more modern. I'm not feeling the painted oval, you did it, bluebatmobile did it, I didn't like either better.

Am I the only one that liked the OEM yellow ovals better? The car looks more modern. I'm not feeling the painted oval, you did it, bluebatmobile did it, I didn't like either better.

No, you are not the only one. The 02 update was far from an afterthought. It improved downforce, and brought the look up to date from the late 80's. As far as the yellow ovals breaking up the "lines" of the rear of the car, that was the point. Many may not agree but I believe both looks of the car have their place, and both look great.

Both look fine to me, but if I had to pick, the yellow part of the 2002+ bothers me slightly. I like NA1 better.
Although the 2002+ above with blacked out logo and red turn signals is nice...

Have mounted the 2002+ taillights about two years ago now and am very happy with it. This was done with the updated 2002+ lower valence as well.

It somehow gives the NSX a much updated look from the rear. Perhaps, in my case, also because the standard OEM 1991-2001 taillights are also quite dark in the standard European version.

Your poll results are going to be skewed because not everyone is aware that you have the "JDM" darker taillights stock. They are more sought after then the 02+ style IMO. Also keep in mind you will need to change the 3rd break light to match the taillights if you choose to go with the newer 02+ style taillights. You could sell those used taillights "JDM style" stateside and get about what it would cost to buy your 02+ style providing they are in good condition. I would keep them.

Just use a red overlay vinyl, do not paint them.

It somehow gives the NSX a much updated look from the rear..

I agree.... Somehow the unique ovals give it an updated look. I do think the original is cleaner... Just like I think pop ups are cleaner than 02 bugeyes.... But they look more dated. Both fixed headlamps and the yellow ovals breaking up the long rear lights going all the way across the back make things more modern. Same with the factory wing light bar... Although it is cleaner and flows better, it looks dated. The shorter third brake light in the R wing, the ovals, the fixed lamps, these all modernize the car.

Don't mean to thread-jack - but what are the WHEELS on this red beauty??.... WOW, JUST GORGEOUS!!

I bought an 03 specifically cause I liked the more updated front/rear look. It looks in place when compared to the modern cars while retaining the lines and engineering that made the car so special to begin with

DSC_0365.jpg

20120922_143436_zps8f40cbdb.jpg

IMG-20120916-WA0001.jpg

Your poll results are going to be skewed because not everyone is aware that you have the "JDM" darker taillights stock. They are more sought after then the 02+ style IMO. Also keep in mind you will need to change the 3rd break light to match the taillights if you choose to go with the newer 02+ style taillights. You could sell those used taillights "JDM style" stateside and get about what it would cost to buy your 02+ style providing they are in good condition. I would keep them.

I have a 96-T and got one tail light damaged - I want to convert to to 02+ tail lights - are you saying that the conversion requires more than just swapping out the lens housings? (part 33501-SL0-A03 and 33551-SL0-A03)

Back