• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 black/black 42k mi /w mods $34k: deal?

I'm about to pickup a 91 (not in snap range) black/black, absolutely flawless exterior and interior. Has the following mods/extras:

- 97 chrome rims (stock wheels included)
- Comptech chip
- Comptech headers
- Comptech carbon fiber intake
- Koni adjustable shocks
- 1" lowering springs
- Taitec GT exhaust
- RM swaybars

The timing belt hasn't been replaced, but after having it check the mech. said it doesn't need it, and all of the rubber is in great condition. I'm planning on buying it for $34k next week, does this seem fairly reasonable?

Your mechanic is wrong

The timing belt MUST be replaced if it's the original one. The service manual states every six years and the car is already 12 years old. You are gambling with the health of the engine. <b>You can't check to see if a timing belt is good.</b> All of them will look like they are in brand new condition. I had mine replaced after eight years and still have the original belt in my garage. It looks brand new. I compared it with a brand new one from the parts department and couldn't tell the difference. Ozone, smog, etc. and <b>age</b> will have an effect on a timing belt. It will deteriorate internally, something you can't inspect from the outside. When it does let go, it will either break or the teeth on it will sheer off.

A timing belt service runs around $1200. An NSX engine with a broken timing belt can cost upwards up to $8000 to repair. Don't overlook this important service. I'd work the timing belt service on the price of the car. If you buy it, replacing the timing belt is the first thing on the list you should do.

You can pay the mechanic a little now or a lot later.

If it is as you say, sounds like a nice deal.

I'll be interested in hearing your comparison of the NSX vs your 385hp RX7.

What you say makes complete sense, and I definately would prefer to go the route of preventive maintanence rather than the emergency type repairs. You're absolutely right when it comes to belts, I was just trying to talk myself out of needed to spend $1200 after I purchase the car. I'm sure I'll thank myself later..

Get the seller to come off the price a little more to justify the cost of the timing belt replacement. It is hard to believe that he (seller) would do all of those other things to the car and yet not do something as crucial as the belt.

Back