• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'91 factory keyless question

So I've got a used factory keyless brain and remote but my '91 does not have the keyless wiring harness.
Am I S.O.L.? or is there still a way to wire it in?

I use to make them read this thread will give you the pin outs..........

IF the brain is matched to the remote........ if you purchased remotes and think you can program you cant they are matched from the factory ( kenwood ) to the serial number on the brain.... no way around it..

you can call Kenwood and order new remotes for your serial number...

I saw recently someone sold 2 remotes for XXX dollars in the for sale section of prime.... those are paper weights I felt bad for whom ever purchased them.

heres the link to my old thread from 5 years ago

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/140311-91-92-Keyless-Solved

- - - Updated - - -

also if you want to make the harness I was getting the pig tail ends from acura legends at the junk yards

and the brains are the same in acura legends.. even though they don't have the -SLO- markings as a part number

Last edited:
Shawn, I also have a brain so if you want to make up harnesses you have two customers....hint. ;o)

I made about 100 or so years ago but got bored the time and effort to find the pigtails at the junkyard and creating the harness was not cost effective for me to keep doing it at 100 bucks selling price.

I think I saw 3-4 I had left over in a box of NSx parts somewhere but have since forgotten where that box was LOL.

I will think about making some more for you guys but need atleast 6 people to commit before I make a batch

I made about 100 or so years ago but got bored the time and effort to find the pigtails at the junkyard and creating the harness was not cost effective for me to keep doing it at 100 bucks selling price.

I think I saw 3-4 I had left over in a box of NSx parts somewhere but have since forgotten where that box was LOL.

I will think about making some more for you guys but need atleast 6 people to commit before I make a batch

OK, starting a list:

1. Boca rat
2. 0ctan3

IF the brain is matched to the remote........ if you purchased remotes and think you can program you cant they are matched from the factory ( kenwood ) to the serial number on the brain.... no way around it..

you can call Kenwood and order new remotes for your serial number...

I saw recently someone sold 2 remotes for XXX dollars in the for sale section of prime.... those are paper weights I felt bad for whom ever purchased them.

Shawn is correct that the Kenwood remotes cannot be programmed to the master like more modern units; however, if you are desperate or perverse, you can make a remote matched to another master work with your master.

The Kenwood remotes are hard coded to the master much like the older garage door remotes used to be hard coded with a simple binary code. In the older garage door remotes you had a DIP rocker switch with 8 or more switches on it. You set the DIP rocker switches in the remote to match the rocker switch positions in the door opener. The Kenwood remote and master is coded the same way, except that Kenwood does not use rocker switches (we should be so lucky). They have a chunk of what looks like mylar film with a printed circuit on it. There are holes punched in the circuits on the mylar film for the equivalent of an open switch and no hole for a closed switch. If you acquire a remote matched to some other master, you can fill in the holes and punch new holes so that they match the hard coding in your remote. Punching new holes to match your existing remote is fairly easy. Filling in the holes to match your existing remote is mind buggeringly hard. If Acura / Kenwood are still offering remotes matched to your master for less than $100, I would go for it!

Of course, none of this modifying a remote works if you do not have an original remote code matched to the master to provide a pattern for modifying your acquired remote. It may be possible to figure out the hard code in the master because they probably use a similar method to encode the master. What would be really nice is if Kenwood used DIP switches to encode the master. Then you could recode the master to match up with your new remote. However, that is speculative as I have never pulled apart the Kenwood master to look at the inside and as long as mine works fine, I have no intent of experimenting with it.

Last edited:
Back