• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 NSX

I am considering the purchase of a 92 NSX and I have some questions that would be very helpful in my decision to make this purchase. It is a 92 with 35K miles, the price I would be paying is 35.4K. The car has a problem that I would like to know if it would be expensive to fix. The problem is the heater blows but only cold air. Is this the thermostat, or could it be something drastically expensive? The second problem is the car is within snap ring range. Although, the dealer has reduced the price by $2500, so I can purchase a 4 year/50K mile warranty. He will not be selling me the warranty, I will be purchasing it somewhere else. If anyone could answer my heater questions ASAP I plan to purchase this car on MArch 15th. Thank you .

Steve,

Can't this dealer address this issue? I wouldn't think it would be too expensive but who knows? I don't know have an idea what might be wrong with the heater, but I wanted to also mention the timing belt. Keep in mind that even though the car doesn't have 90K miles, it is over 6 years old and it should be replaced.

Good luck!

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

That Snap Ring failure range thing is bad and I hear it costs quite a bit to fix it. I'd just have the dealer replace the tranny case or whichever part that they have to replace in order to prevent the Snap Ring failure before taking delivery of the vehicle...

Yes the dealer could address this issue, except the time frame. He is a hotel owner with a small dealership on the side, he is going to Florida for a month and I would like to purchase the car now to ready it for summer. As well, he has offered to sell the car to me for only 35.4K = my 2000 Cadillac SLS + $2400 cash. The only thing wrong with the car is this heater problem, and possibly the timing belt replacement that you and several other people have mentioned. Thank you for the reply.
Originally posted by Jimbo:
Steve,

Can't this dealer address this issue? I wouldn't think it would be too expensive but who knows? I don't know have an idea what might be wrong with the heater, but I wanted to also mention the timing belt. Keep in mind that even though the car doesn't have 90K miles, it is over 6 years old and it should be replaced.

Good luck!

-Jim

Buy a car outside of snapring range.Youll sleep easier knowing you spent your 35k on a car with no problems.Be patient,It'll come.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 RX7 Touring

i am figuring that if the case breaks the extended warrenty will cover it. so i am not really concerned about it. but your right it will always be in the back of my mind and probaly will break when i am 300 miles from home.
Originally posted by nsxbadboy:

Buy a car outside of snapring range.Youll sleep easier knowing you spent your 35k on a car with no problems.Be patient,It'll come.

Joe

That Snap Ring failure range thing is bad and I hear it costs quite a bit to fix it.

Only if you try to keep driving it after it breaks.

Mark Basch just did a big write-up on this. I'll copy it in as a new topic.

Originally posted by steveny:
i am figuring that if the case breaks the extended warrenty will cover it. so i am not really concerned about it. but your right it will always be in the back of my mind and probaly will break when i am 300 miles from home.

Are you sure.. they will cover it.. I would ask first..

I had the same problem with the '92 I purchased -- no heat. Last year, Davis Acura fixed it. I forget exactly which part Bernie replaced, but if I remember correctly it was a couple hundred dollars - If I remember I will look when I get home. I still don't get a ton of heat, but it is now driveable in the winter.

Mine is also in snap-ring range, but to the best of my knowledge, the preventive maintence has not been performed.

Good luck in your NSX purchase.

Don

------------------
Don
'92 NSX Silver/Black
'93 Prelude Si White
'99 Ford F150 Flareside White

Maybe you could get the price even further down...while at a Ford dealer helping my sister purchase an explorer, I asked her salesman to show me his blackbook price for a 1992 NSX w/ 25k. He did. the high trade-in value was rouhly $27,000 and he said they would ask $33,000 and take $30,000 for the car. I know it was a ford dealer, but I imagine they all use that same blackbook. Just a thought. Ask your dealer to show you the blackbook--maybe they will, maybe not, but it would give you a better idea what they paid for it.

just a few ramblings from a future nsx owner...trying to built an arsinal of info before I take the plunge.

--matt

[This message has been edited by chumch (edited 13 March 2001).]

Black book has no bearing on the value of an NSX. I have been in the business for quite some time.... There isn't any dealer that will give black book value for an NSX, they may try but they'd be stealing it.... A car like an NSX gets called around to high line buyers to get the wholesale #. For example. X-clean black book for a 91 is 27,500 and I've been offered 36,500 for a wholesale trade in for my 24k mile 91. I just sold a fellow NSXers' 48k mile, 94 NSX for 37,000 wholesale... it's x-clean book is 36,800. Black book figures are determined by auction sales only. There simply just isn't enough NSXs going through auctions to figure an accurate amount of value. The majority of NSXs that do go through auctions are less than desirable cars(not all of them) therefore resulting in a low black book value. Let's face it, most owners do not sell their cars in wholesale auctions. By the way, just to clarify, rough/ average book is a trade in value or wholesale whereas clean/ x-clean is the reatail figure. <-- for 'normal' cars. There is a book called a CPI book which is for exotics... This is somewhat more accurate. Bottom line, if you can buy an NSX in good shape with good miles for anywhere in the realm of black book figures, jump on it 'cos it's a steal.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

i asked them directly after telling them about the history of the problem and they said they had covered them in the past and would do so in the future. the company is autoservicecontracts.com recomended here on this web site. i really apreciate the feed back just being able to ask a question and get so much feed back makes me want to by a NSX. i feel like i wont be alone if i have a problem with the car. that is very comforting.
Originally posted by HapaHaole:
Are you sure.. they will cover it.. I would ask first..

hey don thanks for the reply. this message has been up for a couple of days and no one has seeemed to think that the heater thing is a potential high dollar fix. so i feel alot better about the car now. i received a fax from acura today about the service history of the car, although i cant decifer it is all in numbers. no real readable info there. the dealer said he would call back tommarrow to translate the document for me. maybe the tranny case has already been replaced(how would one tell that does acura put a stamp on old vin tag??????) thanks again

steve
Originally posted by thedon67:
I had the same problem with the '92 I purchased -- no heat. Last year, Davis Acura fixed it. I forget exactly which part Bernie replaced, but if I remember correctly it was a couple hundred dollars - If I remember I will look when I get home. I still don't get a ton of heat, but it is now driveable in the winter.

Mine is also in snap-ring range, but to the best of my knowledge, the preventive maintence has not been performed.

Good luck in your NSX purchase.

Don

Well, I was kindof in the same situation as I purchased my 92 last october. It was in snapring range as I was purchasing from an individual. However, I was able to negotiate with the dealer that if I were to do a 30K service w/them they would coordinate a goodwill with acura on the tranny. But the bottom line is that if they are willing to come off $2500 for a warranty, you can take that or just pay to have the preventative done @ ~2200.00. With a high quality car like the nsx (& in exc. cond) I would expect that there will be few problems that would require a warranty outside of those discussed. However, if you can get a warranty that covers the tranny, windows, etc go for it.. The only downside is that it could leave you temporarily stranded one day...and again it might not. You never know even if it is in the range.

I remembered to check my receipt -- They replaced the Therostat & Gasket -- total price under $100

------------------
Don
'92 NSX Silver/Black
'93 Prelude Si White
'99 Ford F150 Flareside White

Back