• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 or 93?

Hi Guys:
I have a 92 NSX with 48k miles that does not appear to have the snap ring issue. I just bought a 93 NSX with 66k miles. Both are in very good condition, although the 93 is slightly better. I can only keep one.

92 - Pretty much stone stock
Needs seats re-done
Typical radio issues (head unit and amplifiers)

93 - Aftermarket exhaust system, engine cover, wheels from 95
Non-OEM exhaust system
Typical radio issues (amps)
Temp control system board fix (I've done this one before)

Both are red/black and have had recent major service with timing belt replacements.

Thoughts on which one I should keep? Guidebooks (I know, they don't value classics well) value the 92 higher due to mileage...

Thanks for your opinions!

the mileage difference is not significant enough to affect price.

When you say: "does not appear to have the snap ring issue" Is the transmission in the snap-ring range? Is it an early 1992 VIN?

Are the gauges slightly different from the 92-93? Ie temperature gauge?

When you say: "does not appear to have the snap ring issue" Is the transmission in the snap-ring range? Is it an early 1992 VIN?

VIN ends with 386. I have looked looked everywhere for the trans # starting with J4A4, but all I see is a bar coded label in that location with the label SR8M-5000203 (as shown).
IMG_8526.jpg

So, I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Is the location of the trans number on the drivers side, looking down just behind the throttle body rubber piece?

Just want to be 100% sure, but if so, probably the trans was swapped at some point. Especially with your VIN, it may have had the snap ring failure and was replaced. The trans numbers in question were primarily late 1991-early 1992's. Yours is a pretty early 1992. If so the good news is your trans is OK:).....

Last edited:
Is the location of the trans number on the drivers side, looking down just behind the throttle body rubber piece?

Just want to be 100% sure, but if so, probably the trasns was swapped at some point. Especially with your VIN, it may have had the snap ring failure and was replaced. The trans numbers in question were primarily late 1991-early 1992's. Yours is a pretty early 1992. If so the good news is your trans is OK:).....

Yes, Larry the pic was taken just below the throttle body. I too would like to know the history, but unfortunately, it's not available. All I know for sure is that it shifts like a dream. I don't understand why my trans # (if, in fact, that's what the SR8M... number is) does not conform to the convention.

Right. the only other difference I've discovered is that the 93 has a key FOB that unlocks the doors.

My 93 didn't have that when I got it used.

I just added an aftermarket Viper from Best Buy with a lifetime warranty.

91/92 has other issues too.

I think based on those issues people might not search for those 2 years.... making it harder for u to sell ur car in case u need too (market correction, etc.)

My 93 didn't have that when I got it used.

I just added an aftermarket Viper from Best Buy with a lifetime warranty.

91/92 has other issues too.

I think based on those issues people might not search for those 2 years.... making it harder for u to sell ur car in case u need too (market correction, etc.)

Oh, mine could be aftermarket as well. Thanks for your input!

You might also want to consider which one has the better maintenance records and which one has had the timing belt done. Although both have fewer miles than the 80k (or maybe it's 90k) service recommendation, the service recommendation is "or 7 years which ever comes first" (it was later raised to 9 years) so both of these should be on their third timing belt by now. If one has been done recently, that could save you several thousand in maintenance costs. If neither has been done, then you're playing Russian roulette ever day that you drive them. If it fails, it's going to cost lots of money to repair.

he wrote that both have had tb replaced...

Okay guys, I found some info on the transmissions in, of all places, NSX Prime!

Speedmaster mentions in one of his posts: "...I think we all know the SR8 prefix serial numbers were from the replacement case transmissions."

Another post by Kaz-kzukNA1:
You can find the information in the workshop manual, parts system, etc.

Please note that the following info is for US, Canada 5MT models only and not for JDM, European, etc.

Also, the definition of the 'year model' is different depending on the market.

J4A4-1000001 - ; 91
J4A4-2000001 - ; 92, 93
J4A4-3000001 - ; 94
SR8M-6100001 - ; 95, 96

J4A4 was manufactured at Wako plant.
SR8M was from Suzuka.

Kaz

So, I think it's fair to assume that my transmission was replaced because of the snap ring. Whew! :biggrin:

Appreciate all the helpful advice so far.

Just curious why you have two red NSX's that are pretty much identical as far as a 92 and 93 go???
What's the story?

Here's what you do....put them both up for sale and keep the one that doesn't sale.....problem solved:biggrin:

Last edited:
Just curious why you have two red NSX's that are pretty much identical as far as a 92 and 93 go???
What's the story?

Here's what you do....put them both up for sale and keep the one that doesn't sale.....problem solved:biggrin:

Ha, now that's good thinking. Actually, I've owned the 92 for almost 20 years, but have no service records prior to my ownership. That said, I know the car pretty well after all this time with it, but as was pointed out above, not having service records is a ding (the 93's are complete). The 93 was from a close friend who did a huge home remodel (read: needs money) and has lost his passion for cars as he's aged. He gave me a great deal on it, so I plan to plow any profits into other car projects (65 Corvette, 97 C4S, and/or whichever NSX I keep).

sounds like you have upside equity in the 93...

Back