• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

97+ nsx limitations when using FI

I currently have a 94 supra T 6 speed with a T61 turbo, 720 injectors, vpc, afc blah blah, putting down 650rwhp. My next project is going to be an nsx 97+ (6 speed and targa :) ) my question to you is what are the weak points on an nsx, rods, pistsons crank ?? In other words what would i need to hit 600rwhp? What supercharger would I need or would i have to get a custom turbo setup? Id like to run alky injection along with a small air to water intercooler setup. Also what about the driveline, what would i have to do to the tranny and axles to get it to handle this hp? Im also assuming id need cams, bigger valves, springs etc?
Thanks,

Hey Man;

I have a 97, there's a lot different about the car starting in 97. If you want anything decent, like over ~370RWHP, you need a standalone to run timing and big fatty injectors. To use a standalone on a 97+, you need to convert back to drive by cable which hasn't been done yet. If it is do-able, mine will be the 2nd one on the planet in around 2 months. Starting in 97 the stock ECU takes the signal from the gas pedal and modulates the butterfly valve in the throttle body. No standalones can pull this off so you gotta switch to a 3.0 throttle body. Then you have the headache of the clutch, its different for the 6 speed. Almost all the trick clutches available are for the 5 speed, so thats another thing to consider. Even the highest output superchargers barely crack over 400RWHP, if you want what your talking about its gotta be a turbo.

You may want to consider an OBDI car. All model years that have factory 6-speeds are OBDII and present a bunch of extra tuning issues not present on OBDI's.

The few streetable high hp+ NSX's (500+rwhp) that I know of are all OBDI model years with the 3.0liter engine.

That said you will have to redo most of the internals to handle that power. There are a few folks that are much more versed in answering this. If you do a few searches you will probably find several helpful threads with contributions from Gerry Johnson and David from Austin.

In fact Gerry is doing a big hp turbo install right now for Rob in Baltimore. Rob has discussed the details of his modification path in a couple threads.

thanks for the replies.

I kind of want to find a wrecked or salvaged 91 and just yank the motor and build it all up, guess ill have to kiss the targa and 6 speed good bye :( The aem looks pretty promising and alot of the supra guys are running it with success to so Ill have to start reading up on that. Guess Ill have to talk to a shop about making me a exhaust manifold for a custom turbo setup and also recomend a size, was thinking maybe a t66 .81 a/r or so?

If you want to go with a 97+, then contact Factor X. They have a harness to allow the use of the Motec? stand alone unit. This is supposed to be able to do the drive by wire feature of the OBD II cars. They are also working on a 1000 HP unit. Finally, the NSX drag car also uses the 3.2 liter motor. I am assuming they use a stand alone fuel management system.

Tim

Back