• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

996 vs Z06 vs NSX

I think it was a recent issue of Road & Track that had an article featuring a 2002 NSX vs 996 vs Z06. I thought it was a great article and made me even prouder to own my NSX (94) Now, I know that the 97+ models are quicker than mine, but what impressed me was that the 2002 NSX was driven only one second slower around the tracks of Laguna Seca than the 405 horse power Z06. I know people will say, at 90,000+ it should have smoked the Z06, but I still feel that the car is still basically a 1997 model,….hell its basically the same car.

My question is this, I have been watching the forums on the Comptech and Basch Superchargers and I am wondering (as I am looking to purchase one of them), If a NSX had 396 hp with a supercharger in it, how would it compare to the 405 hp Z06? Or a 415 hp 996TT or even a 396 hp 360 Modena. Im not talking about refinement, forget about drivers skill, forget about everything. I’m talking about flat out performance (drivers being equal)

I have always been a planner, and I am always thinking about the “next car I am going to buy” and I’m wondering, heck…. should I just keep my car, and add the supercharger and save a lot of money over buying a new car? Or should I go out and buy my other dream car ?

I guess the overall question is:

415 hp 996 TT for STOCK $95,000 used (sell my car and + $55,000)
396 hp 360 Modena STOCK $200,000 used (sell my car and + $160,000)
460 hp Viper STOCK $75,000 used/new (sell my car and + $35,000)
405 hp Z06 STOCK $50,000 new (sell my car and + $10,000)
or…..
396 hp Comptech NSX (keep my car and + $15,000)

On the track.. which is going to pull the better numbers? Straight line and around the course (Laguna) drivers being equal

Thanks!

That was a great article, good read.

Here's some analysis of power/weight ratio.
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000250.html

Chris' zen for the day: the supercharger will only reinforce an already strong bond with your car. If the bond is not already there, not even 100HP will bring it back. JMOMZCBWFY (that's: just my opinion, my zen could be wrong for you)
smile.gif

At track-speed additional HP is affected by the law of diminishing returns. Even with my 260-270 RWHP, the 340 (or something like that) RWHP Z06 could not significantly gain on me even on the 20 mph - 120mph fron stretch.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 12 March 2002).]

The flat out performance of the Viper--in a straight line and around a track--will exceed that of all the cars you list here.

Be sure to upgrade a Viper's brakes though, or suffer this fate: http://www.enkahoi.com/vipercrash.mpeg
(this video might be disturbing for those who have experienced a car accident)

I can assure you that you'll be happiest with a Comptech NSX, though. I drove my supercharged '91 twice as frequently as my '98 GTS when I owned both.

This is a good video and it provides some interesting insights. You can tell that the passenger/instructor was already signaling with his left hand to slow down, that the car had too much speed going in, and he immediately grabbed the wheel to avoid the driver/student from overcorrecting and thus causing perhaps a roll over, and thinking of safety asked to turn the ignition off ...... all good pointers.

One of the things that we hammer to students at our track events, most accidents happen because of too much entry speed ..... compound that with any driver error or malfunctioning parts .......... fortunately, it was a tire barrier and they appear to be fine.

Hmm... Actually, I think they did roll. Notice how the intercom wires and the harness both seem to float in the air?

Upgrade the brakes?

No, somehow I don't think that was the problem.

Looks like inexperience and overenthusiasm.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Actually, someone who claims to have been there said it was apparent brake failure. A very level-headed kid with experience, and even the instructor said he was screwed. I'm inclined to believe it since there is little indication of even a late attempt to slow down.

Now, how scary is that? You're hauling on the track or on the street somewhere and your brake fails... Talk about a life-flashes-before-your-eyes-moment where you have zero control of what's going to happen.

boy...its funny how easily these boards get side tracked.

Can anyone point me in the direction of performance numbers with a supercharger? I have read the FAQ's, and while there are HP numbers, there arent real world performance numbers to be found or comparisons to the aforementioned cars.

thanks!

I know I should not compare video game with the real car. But that video look pretty much like when i was driving the viper in the Playstation GT game. I did ok with all the cars in that game except the viper and the TVR. The viper seem to be very hard to get it into corners and easy to spin tail. But excellent on big oval track. I get to catch up the other cars even after I spun tail and lost some time.

I prefer to use NSX over Viper in the game

I think the best way to go fast is learn how to drive well. at Limerock, a SC NSX with 313 rwhp ran faster time than all the one lap of America cars (venom vipers, Ling. vette, Supras), which is damn impressive consider the one lap has professional drivers and high hp cars. I saw a stock s2000 ran 1:47 at Lagnua Seca. I pretty sure very few SC NSX owners can run that time at Lagna Seca. If you can't drive, no matter how fast your car is, you can't dominate the road course.

I thought it was a great article and made me even prouder to own my NSX (94) Now, I know that the 97+ models are quicker than mine, but what impressed me was that the 2002 NSX was driven only one second slower around the tracks of Laguna Seca than the 405 horse power Z06. I know people will say, at 90,000+ it should have smoked the Z06, but I still feel that the car is still basically a 1997 model,….hell its basically the same car.

Back