• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A blues icon is gone

The blues world has lost a true ambassador. B.B. King was known around the world as the quintessential bluesman of a generation and then some. He helped countless blues up and comers find success, and will be mourned by millions of fans. I was fortunate to see him live in Vegas only a few years ago. It was a performance I won't soon forget. It was obvious that B.B. truly loved what he did. Why else would he still be doing it at almost 90?
It was reported not long ago that after seeing a B.B. show, some people in the audience complained that he was losing it, and rambled on a bit between songs. I enjoyed his stories when I saw him. These "fans" couldn't cut the guy a little slack I guess. I'm sure they'll have it all together in their mid 80's.
Rest in peace B.B. You will be missed, but definitely not forgotten.

The Thrill Is Gone. RIP B.B. The angels are singing the blues tonight.

The blues world has lost a true ambassador. B.B. King was known around the world as the quintessential bluesman of a generation and then some. He helped countless blues up and comers find success, and will be mourned by millions of fans. I was fortunate to see him live in Vegas only a few years ago. It was a performance I won't soon forget. It was obvious that B.B. truly loved what he did. Why else would he still be doing it at almost 90?
It was reported not long ago that after seeing a B.B. show, some people in the audience complained that he was losing it, and rambled on a bit between songs. I enjoyed his stories when I saw him. These "fans" couldn't cut the guy a little slack I guess. I'm sure they'll have it all together in their mid 80's.
Rest in peace B.B. You will be missed, but definitely not forgotten.

I saw his show last June..... I tried to cut slack, but it was a painful experience. From 2013 to 2014 he really went downhill.

LEGEND.

I have hazy recollections of first seeing B B King in summer 1976-1977, at the Blossom Music Center near Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (outdoor amphitheater).

My cousin "Stew-Boy" (Akron, OH) and I had lawn tickets. Early in the show the heavens opened up, and it rained so hard for so long the lawn went to soup. As soon as the rain began hammering us we immediately grabbed a big plastic trash bag out of the hill's garbage cans. Poncho.

Sat under our garbage bags, enjoying some rot-gut hootch and the show while all the pavilion people smugly took in the show and the lawn sitters bum-rushed the smiley happy pavilion people. It was all good until water coming down the lawn hill started trickling down our ........ backsides...

Seen him many, many times since. And yes he slowed appreciably but almost always made for an enjoyable show.

Lost Johnny Winter a while back, now Blues Boy.

I was fortunate enough to see Johnny Winter at DTE a year or two before he passed. He played an awesome set!

The passing of BB and the thread about the sad state of music coexist on Prime. My dad told me that he would see BB at the Chamizal National Memorial Park in El Paso during weekend music shows in the 70's. Guy like him playing in an open air show in a medium size city over and over, for years in relative obscurity. I don't believe BB Played for the money, but for the love of the blues and the music. Whilst he spent his later years in fame, lots of good music doesn't create fame.
My wife met BB during the M&M commercial and said he was friendly and gracious and modest. He left an impression on her.

Back