• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Tribute to the NSX

Hello all,

I had a few minutes and thought I would post an update on my long NSX ownership and the incredible NSX. After 17 years of wonderful, trouble free ownership of my Berlina Black 93, I sold it to a nice young man in the Seattle area. I trust he will care for it as passionately as I did. I had sworn I would never sell it.....that I wanted to be buried in it. So what happened? Well, maybe I got just a little bored and began looking at options. Maybe the "grass was greener" type thing. Maybe my needs changed a bit. I dunno for sure. In any case, I ended up with a C7 Corvette. It is the 1st American made car I have ever owned, and Corvettes in general never appealed to me. So, how does it compare? First off, it should be totally unfair to compare a new car to a nearly 25 year old design. That said, after putting a few miles on the C7 (some of them pretty aggressive), I can tell you the NSX actually deserves to be compared---a nearly unbelievable statement. My NSX was modified a bit. Full headers, exhaust, intake, and chip. Koni's, Eibachs and 17's all around. It was fast (for an NSX) and once came out in front on a head to head race with an V8/R8. It handled flat and was dieted to about 2850 LBS. Compared to the C7, the unassisted-steering NSX has superior road feel and provides a somewhat better "feel" for the road and what the car is doing. I should note the Corvette has incredibly precise steering and balance, and feels like it has a lateral grip far in excess of my NSX. The published lateral G's of 1.07 is certainly believable. It doesn't have the connection that the mid-engine NSX has to the road. While both of these cars are similar in the fact that they are both 2-seat, rear drive sports cars, the differences are obvious. Overall, the handling and power limits of the C7 exceed (my) NSX by a fair margin. Again, it's hardly fair to compare the two but, they do! I miss the shriek of that wonderful 8 grand VTEC.... but also enjoy the roar of the C7's V8. Power wise, there isn't much comparison. The C7 is a beast. It's a shame Honda neglected to develop the NSX engine through the years. It was never "slow" but, 400 HP would have been awesome. Some might argue that all I needed to do was supercharge the NSX to get that power. I dunno, I've driven some fast SC NSX's, I think I was after power AND the refinement afforded cars with newer technology. Another tribute to Honda'a ability to do it right the first time was the fact that the C7's seats (and general ergos) felt remarkable similar to the NSX. I think I preferred the cab-forward design of the NSX and the view out the front windshield, the C7's view is still pretty cool. The overall driver's visibility out of the car is slightly better in the NSX.

Looks. A really subjective topic. My personal 2 cents: The NSX design is timeless and better looking. Maybe not as mean looking but, I still don't think ANYTHING is as beautiful as an NSX.

Build quality: Surprisingly comparable. (Shocking for an American built car, I know)

Back to why I did it. In part, I wanted to streamline my life a bit. I wanted a daily driver and wanted to go from two cars to one daily driver. I sold an amazing BMW M6 also. I wanted some luxuries that a new car provides, like heated/cooled seats etc.....a paddle shifting automatic (don't laugh! The auto tranny in the C7 is very good). The C7 is truly a (194 MPH) velvet hammer. While the NSX always got commendable MPG, the C7 is nearly unbelievable in that regard.

So, I hope no one takes any of this as a "put-down" to the NSX. I know the C7 will never be the collectable that the NSX is. The fact that the NSX can even be talked about in the same conversation as a 2014 sports car is amazing in itself. The NSX never left me stranded or let me down. Reliability was phenomenal....I can only hope the Chevy does as well. It does feel good to buy an American made product and what is often referred to as a "world class sports car."

Honda's design and production of the NSX was a (possibly unsurpassed) accomplishment. It was so far ahead of its time.

One thing I also want to mention. The NSX community (and PRIME) is a huge asset and reason to own an NSX. I have made lifetime friends and wonderful memories.

Anyway, if you see a C7 coming at you, wave! And no, I haven't gone out and bought a gold necklace!

Last edited:
....... I can tell you the NSX actually deserves to be compared---a nearly unbelievable statement. My NSX was 2850 LBS. ..... The fact that the NSX can even me talked about in the same conversation as a 2014 sports car is amazing in itself. ....no, I haven't gone out and bought a gold necklass!

Dido Pilot. btw, would you comment on the ergo shifting position of the C7. As soon as I drop my butt into the bucket seat at the SD car show, my right arm bumped into the gearbox tunnel and it was so high I had to lift my arm/shoulder to reach the shifter.....Found the answer, I am too short at 5'8".:smile:

nothing has better lines than an NSX so stream lining your life you cut out the best part.

its amazing while standing in the line at the supermarket and you see the new Corvette and 91 NSx on the same cover and they are comparing the 2, open to that page stat compare and there isnt much difference in any of the specs, Yeah HP is big diff but you would think the numbers would reflect years of technology upgrade and knowledge into these cars.

like most of the numbers should be double of the 91 NSX but they are mostly off by a .2 or .3

with that said have fun in the sheep car and you'll be back sooner or later.

Good luck with the C7...I hope you enjoy it. I think the new Stingray is a major step forward for the Corvette...but I'm still keeping my '91 NSX (heavily modified).

I've been doing some Internet specification "shopping", and it looks to me that a hot C7 setup would be one with the Lingenfelter 800 hp TT option that you can get right now (they have a 1000 hp version with no posted price last I looked). That setup should cost in the neighborhood of $100K and rival the as yet to be released Z06...and cost and weigh less than a tricked out GTR while putting out more hp.

17 years of ownership earns you the right to stray. That's longer than many here will own one. Enjoy the C7 until you get another itch to scratch.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing you're experience and point of view which is flatering to say the least as you mentioned the NSX for being its age and able to hold its own on many aspects other than power is impresive, enjoy!

Dido Pilot. btw, would you comment on the ergo shifting position of the C7. As soon as I drop my butt into the bucket seat at the SD car show, my right arm bumped into the gearbox tunnel and it was so high I had to lift my arm/shoulder to reach the shifter.....Found the answer, I am too short at 5'8".

Interesting....I bought the A6 so I'm not reaching for a shifter on the center console......at 5-8 also, I find the C7 "just right"......bigger guys complain the car is too restrictive.

- - - Updated - - -

nothing has better lines than an NSX so stream lining your life you cut out the best part.

its amazing while standing in the line at the supermarket and you see the new Corvette and 91 NSx on the same cover and they are comparing the 2, open to that page stat compare and there isnt much difference in any of the specs, Yeah HP is big diff but you would think the numbers would reflect years of technology upgrade and knowledge into these cars.

like most of the numbers should be double of the 91 NSX but they are mostly off by a .2 or .3

with that said have fun in the sheep car and you'll be back sooner or later.

back later? maybe, who knows.......but you gotta admit the C7 is one fast "sheep".....

Last edited:
I still consider myself a corvette guy, had a C6 recently before buying my NSX. They're great cars, and a great value when used. One thing that helped me not worry about selling mine is the fact that there's a million of them out there so it's an easy car to buy back again even cheaper every time. You have to get used to the fact that everybody and their mother has one, but it's still a hell of a fun car out on twisty farm roads and every stoplight. And the trunk space in them is unbelievable, I've even had full grown men ride back there in a pinch.

Last edited:
The C7 is an awesome machine all-around hands down. You can't go wrong with having one as a Daily+Track monster. For some reason I'm a social outcast in my group of friends for liking the C5 corvette the most. There's just something about pop-up headlights and low/sleek the front end is...

Congrats on the C7 Corvette. Don't let anyone razz you about owning an American made sports car, they are one of the best handling and best bang for the buck cars out there. I just picked up a turbo kit (to swap out for my supercharger) for my older Corvette just to keep up with the C7's. Best thing is to strive to have both cars :)

Definitely check out corvetteforum.com if you haven't already signed up. Bunch of great guys there as well.

Congrats on the C7 Corvette. Don't let anyone razz you about owning an American made sports car, they are one of the best handling and best bang for the buck cars out there. I just picked up a turbo kit (to swap out for my supercharger) for my older Corvette just to keep up with the C7's. Best thing is to strive to have both cars :)

Definitely check out corvetteforum.com if you haven't already signed up. Bunch of great guys there as well.

lord.....a TC Busa.........4th gear wheelies?

Any updates on the c7??? Missing the NSX??? Any pics???

Still lurking I hope .....

I still consider myself a corvette guy, had a C6 recently before buying my NSX. They're great cars, and a great value when used. One thing that helped me not worry about selling mine is the fact that there's a million of them out there so it's an easy car to buy back again even cheaper every time. You have to get used to the fact that everybody and their mother has one, but it's still a hell of a fun car out on twisty farm roads and every stoplight. And the trunk space in them is unbelievable, I've even had full grown men ride back there in a pinch.

Not sure if he accidentally admitted transporting a dead body in trunk or I've seen too many gangster films... :D lol.
futuramafry.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates on the c7??? Missing the NSX??? Any pics???

Still lurking I hope .....

Still lurking........and still always excited to see an NSX on the road! I have about 5K on the C7 now, so far no glitches, as would be expected. The car continues to impress. I recently attended the Ron Fellows Corvette school at Spring Mountain in NV and have come to appreciate the car even more. They must have had 50 Z-51 C7's there that get used and abused every day. They said they have had zero driveline failures. The course really hammered home how tough and capable the C7 is. The instructors drove 650 HP Z06 C6's and while the C7 was obviously an underdog coming out of the corners, it never got embarrassed. I have no complaints about the car other than perhaps the run-flat tires on the car are noisier and harsher riding than I think a high performance non-RF would be. The car can get amazing MPG on the road. I love the heated/cooled seats. Lazer steering. Audio is only fair. The 6 speed auto is fun and capable. I don't need it but, the thing gets more attention than even the NSX and people seem to appreciate the fact that it is American made. Overall, no regrets, I think of the NSX often.... but have no inclination to get another.

Attachments

• vette1a.jpg
    vette1a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 428
Really interesting thread. I've only had my NSX one year, really enjoy the car and am still becoming acquainted with it. If my budget and wife permitted me to own an additional sports car (they don't), either a C7 or perhaps a Cayman S would look nice in the stable. Nsxpilot, you appear to have purchased one heck of a car, and I found myself nodding my head in agreement when reading your posts. Your car may not enjoy the exclusivity of an NSX, but neither will you have any concerns about obtaining OEM parts, either.

Last edited:
Man, that color combo is on point! Very, very sexy. I wonder how it would look with an all black roof?

sounds like IF they make it, it will be direct market competitor to the new NSX in both design and price point......chevy is gunna need some luck with that one......

Back