• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest member without an NSX - finally gets one!

@Wild Turkey would these wheel covers fit mine (center H)?
I can't tell from the pic which item you're referring to. A link is better, but yes, those should fit.

It depends if you want your airbag active or not. I believe that is the wheel and the airbag cover, but the airbag and airbag inflator are not included. The airbag inflator isn't that difficult to transfer from your Acura wheel, but I would not try to reinstall an airbag in the airbag cover. Also, pulling the airbag and inflator out of your Acura airbag cover will make it worth a lot less. There are some issues shipping issues with airbag inflators so read the descriptions and shipping info carefully. I would drive the car for a few months to see if you actually like that wheel while keeping an eye on the prime classifieds, but if you do grab an "H" wheel & don't like it, you'll probably be able to sell it on Prime fairly easily for little loss.

This one has the airbag and inflator? (see 2nd pic), but is missing the two trim pieces and the CC buttons. I don't understand all the wheels without the trim pieces - it seems so logical to keep them together.

If you're getting a wheel, I'd look for one that includes the airbag, inflator, CC buttons, & the trim.

Also, what is the condition of your OEM wheel? Do you need a new wheel or not? If not, perhaps just buy the airbag, inflator, and cover as a package, usually described as the airbag. They pop up on Prime every few months or so when someone goes for a Momo or S2000 wheel, or is cleaning out their garage, although sometimes not much less than the $500 for the wheel & airbag above.

Here's a wheel & airbag from a couple months ago on Prime:

You could even post a listing in the Parts Wanted for a JDM or Euro "H" airbag.

Last edited:
I can't tell from the pic which item you're referring to. A link is better, but yes, those should fit.

It depends if you want your airbag active or not. I believe that is the wheel and the airbag cover, but the airbag and airbag inflator are not included. The airbag inflator isn't that difficult to transfer from your Acura wheel, but I would not try to reinstall an airbag in the airbag cover. Also, pulling the airbag and inflator out of your Acura airbag cover will make it worth a lot less. There are some issues shipping issues with airbag inflators so read the descriptions and shipping info carefully. I would drive the car for a few months to see if you actually like that wheel while keeping an eye on the prime classifieds, but if you do grab an "H" wheel & don't like it, you'll probably be able to sell it on Prime fairly easily for little loss.

This one has the airbag and inflator (see 2nd pic), but is missing the two trim pieces and the CC buttons, which would be easier to transfer over from your wheel. I don't understand all the wheels without the trim pieces - it seems so logical to keep them together.

If you're getting a wheel, I'd look for one that includes the airbag, inflator, CC buttons, & the trim.

Also, what is the condition of your OEM wheel? Do you need a new wheel or not? If not, perhaps just buy the airbag, inflator, and cover as a package, usually described as the airbag. They pop up on Prime every few months or so when someone goes for a Momo or S2000 wheel, or is cleaning out their garage, although sometimes not much less than the $500 for the wheel & airbag above.

Here's a wheel & airbag from a couple months ago on Prime:

You could even post a listing in the Parts Wanted for a JDM or Euro "H" airbag.

Condition of my current wheel is 10/10. No change is necessary, except the Acura bothers me, when rest of the car is H.

That is the only issue.

I wish you could just take the black leather part that says Acura and replace with the ones with the H, without messing with the airbag etc.

Condition of my current wheel is 10/10. No change is necessary, except the Acura bothers me, when rest of the car is H.

That is the only issue.

I wish you could just take the black leather part that says Acura and replace with the ones with the H, without messing with the airbag etc.
That pretty much IS what you do. (Plastic, NOT leather.) See the 2nd picture on the ebay listing I referenced above. I believe the part on the left is the complete inflator, airbag, & cover assembly, commonly called the airbag assembly, or casually referred to as the airbag. Verify it with the vendor - should have a yellow 2-pin plug, perhaps with a red safety plug inserted. See p24-34 of the 1997 service manual, available in the NSX Prime Library. You just:
  1. Disconnect the battery for a few hours.
  2. remove the 2 plastic trim pieces underneath the wheel.
  3. remove the 2 bolts holding the airbag assembly, Torx 30.
  4. unplug your "Acura" airbag assembly and save it.
  5. plug in your "H" airbag assembly
  6. re-attach the 2 T30 bolts. (adjusting the airbag to line up with the wheel)
  7. reinstall the 2 trim pieces.
  8. Save your "A" airbag for the next owner and post the leftover wheel - someone will have scratched or worn theirs.
  9. Reconnect the battery.
Here's a pic of the USDM airbag:

@Old Guy or @Honcho can chime in if I've missed anything. (read SM the section on shorting out the SRS system before working on it.) I just disconnect the battery & leave the car for a few hours. There should be a red airbag short connector attached to the larger trim piece, which attaches to the cable going to the airbag. Ebay listing is missing? Check with the vendor.

I won't wade into the 25-year-old single stage airbag vs. seatbelt debate, but there have been a few fatalities in the last few years from old airbags going off inappropriately. My charge has been removed. Oops, guess I did wade in. Sorry.

If you have any concerns at all working with the SRS, don't do it; whoever did your engine work can change the airbag in a few minutes.

Last edited:
That pretty much IS what you do. (Plastic, NOT leather.) See the 2nd picture on the ebay listing I referenced above. I believe the part on the left is the complete inflator, airbag, & cover assembly, commonly called the airbag assembly, or casually referred to as the airbag. Verify it with the vendor - should have a red 2-pin plug. See p24-34 of the 1997 service manual, available in the NSX Prime Library. You just:
  1. Disconnect the battery for a few hours.
  2. remove the 2 plastic trim pieces underneath the wheel.
  3. remove the 3 bolts holding the airbag assembly, Torx 30.
  4. unplug your "Acura" airbag assembly and save it.
  5. plug in your "H" airbag assembly
  6. attach the 3 bolts. (adjusting the airbag to line up with the wheel)
  7. reinstall the 2 trim pieces.
  8. Save your "A" airbag for the next owner and post the leftover wheel - someone will have scratched or worn theirs.
  9. Reconnect the battery.
@Old Guy or @Honcho can chime in if I've missed anything. (read the section on shorting out the SRS system before working on it.) I just disconnect the battery & leave the car for a few hours. There should be a red airbag short connector attached to the trim piece, which attaches to the cable going to the airbag. Ebay listing is missing both but use the ones from your car. You can source that cable and a shorting connecter for your old airbag if you want.

I won't wade into the 25-year-old single state airbag vs. just your seatbelt debate but a few fatalities in the last few years from old airbags going off inappropriately. Mine is disconnected. Oops, guess I did wade in. Sorry.

If you have any concerns at all working with the SRS, don't do it; whoever did your engine work can change the airbag in a few minutes.
Sorry in my younger days did the momo wheels, and hubs etc. Forgot all about it and have no more knowledge.

I didn't know if the plastic acura is separate from the rest of the airbag etc.. if it is.. then the swap should be easy.

Appreciate your information and help.

Additionally, I am ok to disconnect airbag if its no good as you say. I trust NSX prime, more than my trust my wife :D

The airbag debate is far from settled, even on Prime. Some old igniters explode related to internal chemical degradation, not a signal from the SRS, so just disconnecting it isn't enough. If you're going to forgo the airbag function, you should remove the charge as well (4 weird nuts). You'll also need to bridge the airbag connector to avoid the SRS gauge cluster light illuminating. Instructions for that are on the thread I referenced before about S2000 wheel install.

Last edited:
Sorry in my younger days did the momo wheels, and hubs etc. Forgot all about it and have no more knowledge.

I didn't know if the plastic acura is separate from the rest of the airbag etc.. if it is.. then the swap should be easy.

Appreciate your information and help.

Additionally, I am ok to disconnect airbag if its no good as you say. I trust NSX prime, more than my trust my wife :D
Most airbags are certified for 10-15 years. One of the reasons I replaced mine with the Type-S Momo was that I didn't want a 30-year old grenade sitting in front of my chest. :)

Before removal, make sure to use the red plug to isolate the detonator circuit before disconnecting the wheel. The service manual describes how to do it. I believe the red plug is attached to the airbag so you can't lose it. Also, when I removed mine I tried to be super careful not to jostle it too much on account of the chemical degradation Tim mentioned. Finally, when storing it make sure it is face up and not under anything that you care about. ;)

Just looked again and that wheel/airbag on ebay that I referenced is missing the inflator (and the wiring) already; the vendor has removed the inflator (probably in order to ship - many international shippers refuse to ship live airbags since they can't be transported by air?) fstfwd's listing in post #105 shows what it looks like if the inflator is still inside. So if you want just the cover, the inflator is already removed; just short the SRS connector and bolt in that cover. For a functional airbag, remove the tan plastic cover and put your OEM inflator into that JDM airbag assembly.

Last edited:
service done
car is home

new front lip spoiler + body colored tow hook cover installed

mechanic said old T belt would have been good for another 100 k - replacing not needed.

also mentioned nsx used to have 30w motor oul in trans from factory - replaced with honda gear oil - smooth as butter

mechanic also said for me , h&r spacer, eibach springs, momo wheel a must

enjoying drive - will write later

IMG_3809.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3807.jpeg
    IMG_3807.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 17
Whoo Hoo and here's to many happy years!!! But...

I hate to be the contrarian, but I was stunned looking at that photo. I'm breaking my "it's your car; do what you want and not what other people think you should" rule. Before you consider H&R spacers, eibach springs, or a momo wheel, I think you need to fix your windshield and rear glass so you can see to the best of your ability and drive as safely as possible. Unless it's to be a garage queen, windows perform an important safety role. I'm surprised it passed a safety, but what kind of message is it sending to passersby? That informing people that a previous owner attended NSXPO in the remote past is more important than seeing a pedestrian crossing in front of you?

I desperately hope these blind spots don't lead to an accident and 1 less NSX on the road. More importantly, what if you hit a pedestrian or a cyclist? A design ethos of the NSX was its outstanding visibility; what would Nakano and Uehara think about intentionally reducing it? :rant off: Wish I was better at disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Transplant them to a thin piece of plexiglass on the engine cover? Stick them to the T-roof, trunk lid, or your toolbox?

Last edited:
that's 26 years old.... was he kidding that it is good for another 100k miles? :)
He is one of the original NSX mechanics Honda trained. He is close to retirement. His thought was.. my T belt was as good as new, and it was a waste of money to change it. He has personally owned 13 NSX himself.

Having said that, I got it changed and fully serviced - money wasted? Who knows. Piece of mind for me? You betcha.

One thing we did not do this time around (although I asked 3 times) is the coolant lines. He refused to do them, said they are good as new and its a waste. So I gave in, and went with his judgement.

I agree with Wild Turkey, the stickers don't add to the look of your pristine car and could be a safety concern.

Whoo Hoo and here's to many happy years!!! But...

I hate to be the contrarian, but I was stunned looking at that photo. I'm breaking my "it's your car; do what you want and not what other people think you should" rule. Before you consider H&R spacers, eibach springs, or a momo wheel, I think you need to fix your windshield and rear glass so you can see to the best of your ability and drive as safely as possible. Unless it's to be a garage queen, windows perform an important safety role. I'm surprised it passed a safety, but what kind of message is it sending to passersby? That informing people that a previous owner attended NSXPO in the remote past is more important than seeing a pedestrian crossing in front of you?

I desperately hope these blind spots don't lead to an accident and 1 less NSX on the road. More importantly, what if you hit a pedestrian or a cyclist? A design ethos of the NSX was its outstanding visibility; what would Nakano and Uehara think about intentionally reducing it?
:rant off: Wish I was better at disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Transplant them to a thin piece of plexiglass on the engine cover? Stick them to the T-roof, trunk lid, or your toolbox?

Thanks guys for the message. Looks like I will have to address the elephant in the room.

-After I took delivery of the car, I had the car in my possession for 2 hours before it was dropped off for service.

-I picked up the car from service yesterday. Shop is 2 hours from my home. On the way home, I hit up some of my favorite drives, and got home in the evening.

There was no time for me to take off the stickers. The stickers have been there for years from each NSXPO. I did not hit a bicyclist on the way home.

As someone who is on 2 wheels over 30K miles a year (both motorized and non motorized) - that statement hit home personally to me.

My goal as the car sits in the garage all this week (no it is not a garage queen), I will carefully remove each of the sticker. I will preserve the stickers in a clear plastic binder, so that the history of the car will be preserved. Both the front and rear windshields will all be clean, and there will be no stickers any more. They will be all preserved in a binder to honor the history of the car and ex owner.

I will post photos of it, when I complete the project, so that it is assured I am not a safety hazard or a menace to society. Even though CA has no safety inspections, when I purchased the car last X mas, me and the owner's wife talked about removing the stickers, due to visibility issues.

Sorry I came across as harsh & it sounds like you were already thinking what some of us were thinking with the stickers. Maybe I wouldn't have been able to resist a wee bit of driving such a new-to-me NSX myself. I'm sure I've done worse sometime at some point but driving the NSX really drives home the visibility issue with the sizes of pickups & the like these days.

And welcome to a fellow 2-wheeler!! ('86 RW&B VFR, '01 CBR929RR ️🏍️, '19 SV650, but more 🚲 as of late)

Certainly no need to document your conversion to the OEM glazing, but I get the feeling we'll be seeing a bunch more pics of that pristine ride as time goes by. (y)(y) Hope to see it (and you) in Texas.

Sorry I came across as harsh & it sounds like you were already thinking what some of us were thinking with the stickers. Maybe I wouldn't have been able to resist a wee bit of driving such a new-to-me NSX myself. I'm sure I've done worse sometime at some point but driving the NSX really drives home the visibility issue with the sizes of pickups & the like these days.

And welcome to a fellow 2-wheeler!! ('86 RW&B VFR, '01 CBR929RR ️🏍️, '19 SV650, but more 🚲 as of late)

Certainly no need to document your conversion to the OEM glazing, but I get the feeling we'll be seeing a bunch more pics of that pristine ride as time goes by. (y)(y) Hope to see it (and you) in Texas.
No harshness taken. We are all a family here. I am dying to get over to Texas this year and hope to see you there

Honestly, if I had the car for a month or two, no way I would be driving with the front stickers. However, given I have "owned" the car for a while, yet only in my possession for few hours, I couldnt resist. Also the stickers are very "hard" on it thus it wasn't something I could do at the mechanics. I need hours with hair dryer, goo gone, etc.

( 97 GSX-R 750 SRAD, 2007 GSXR R1, 99 Duc 748, 19 Triumph Scrambler, 2012 1199 Panigale ). My brother has a 929RR, F4i, and a TLR1000 .

I am like a new dad sharing pics of the kid. I know you all have seen them a bunch of times, but I will be continuing to share here.

Thanks for the post. See you in a few months :)

30% of the windshield stickers have been removed. It has been far more of a delicate task to take them off in order to preserve them.

189 miles curvy roads logged early AM - no one on the road. Driving feel was, no where as raw as my Elise, but much more grown up than my 95 Mr2 Turbo...

Enjoying it very much so far

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 9
Back