• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A vs An

This is a not so serious thread about an almost unoticable enigma.

Do you say:

"A NSX" or "An NSX"

"A" sounds almost contrived, while "An" rolls off the tounge smoother BUT is gramaticaly incorrect.

Anyways...just a thought.

Grammer/grammar - gets ‘em everytime!

I believe it should be “an” since “NSX” begins with a vowel sound. The pronunciation, not the spelling, of the word determines which to use and “an” is used for words that begin with a vowel sound.

I have another one:
A) There were over one hundred NSX's at NSXPO.
B) There were over one hundred NSXs at NSXPO.
Which is correct?

I often wonder about this. "A" would be correct if you actually used the letter "n", as in a Neon, but its an acronym N.S.X, and as we all know you use "an" before a vowel which sounds better. If you were to spell out the actual pronounciation of NSX it would start with an "e", as in ennessex, since its a vowel it just sounds better to use an. So what is gramatically correct when it comes to using "a" vs "an" with respect to acronyms that start with a vowel sound?

Ojas said:
Grammer/grammar - gets ‘em everytime!

I believe it should be “an” since “NSX” begins with a vowel sound. The pronunciation, not the spelling, of the word determines which to use and “an” is used for words that begin with a vowel sound.

I have another one:
A) There were over one hundred NSX's at NSXPO.
B) There were over one hundred NSXs at NSXPO.
Which is correct?

My understanding of a grammarian's response to the above question is that either form is correct. Pluralizing acronyms, such as NSX, can be done either with the apostrophe or without it. There will always be some ambiguity here (e.g., "the NSX's handling is without peer") since the possessive of NSX MUST have an apostrophe.

Personally, I avoid using the apostrophe when pluralizing acronyms since I think it just looks better, and the apostrophe is one of the most incorrectly used marks in the English language.

Lady Six said:
This is a not so serious thread about an almost unoticable enigma.

Do you say:

"A NSX" or "An NSX"

"A" sounds almost contrived, while "An" rolls off the tounge smoother BUT is gramaticaly incorrect.

Anyways...just a thought.

I'm pretty certain that "an NSX" is the grammatically correct form.

clr1024 said:
I often wonder about this. "A" would be correct if you actually used the letter "n", as in a Neon, but its an acronym N.S.X, and as we all know you use "an" before a vowel which sounds better. If you were to spell out the actual pronounciation of NSX it would start with an "e", as in ennessex, since its a vowel it just sounds better to use an. So what is gramatically correct when it comes to using "a" vs "an" with respect to acronyms that start with a vowel sound?

In my opinion you are correct in your explanation. It has more to do with the sound than the actual spelling of the first letter. Here is an interesting read on this very subject. It lends support to your position, particularly in referencing many different major publications that also support the vowel sound vs. consonant sound explanation.

PLZ said:
Personally, I avoid using the apostrophe when pluralizing acronyms since I think it just looks better, and the apostrophe is one of the most incorrectly used marks in the English language.
Here's a fun thing to do if you're bored:

Do a Google search for "apostrophe's."

:D

PLZ said:
My understanding of a grammarian's response to the above question is that either form is correct. Pluralizing acronyms, such as NSX, can be done either with the apostrophe or without it. There will always be some ambiguity here (e.g., "the NSX's handling is without peer") since the possessive of NSX MUST have an apostrophe.

I'm not sure that I buy the use of either form in this case. That's not to say I've never used NSX's, although I try not to. I think it really should be NSXs, since there is no possessive involved at all. I don't think any pluralization would allow for an apostrophe. If you were to spell out the acronym would you add the apostrophe to pluralize it? You wouldn't in that case, so why do it when shortened into the acronym form? I know you stated you don't use it, but I'm not sure that it is correct either way.

Interesting discussion! :tongue:

Understudy said:
I'm not sure that I buy the use of either form in this case. That's not to say I've never used NSX's, although I try not to. I think it really should be NSXs, since there is no possessive involved at all. I don't think any pluralization would allow for an apostrophe. If you were to spell out the acronym would you add the apostrophe to pluralize it? You wouldn't in that case, so why do it when shortened into the acronym form? I know you stated you don't use it, but I'm not sure that it is correct either way.

Interesting discussion! :tongue:

With regard to the issue of using an apostrophe when pluralizing an acronym: I'm just reciting what my wife has told me - she has a degree in English and has been a copy editor at times in her life, so I tend to defer to her judgement on these issues.

Another way to pluralize an acronym is to add an "e" - e.g., "NSXes" - which looks a little funky but in my opinion is better than "NSX's" as a plural form.

singular, but possessive?

PLZ said:
Another way to pluralize an acronym is to add an "e" - e.g., "NSXes" - which looks a little funky but in my opinion is better than "NSX's" as a plural form.

I use NSXes (even NSX'es at times) as the plural form for NSX.

To my recollection, "a" is apt for 'NSX'... then again, anglisch isn't my first language!?! :biggrin:

What would be the correct way to state a single NSX in possessive form?!? :confused:

I'm about 99.9% sure you would use "an NSX" and not "a NSX." I spent the first two years of my undergrad majoring in English (read: beer) before I switched to the dark side of Computer Engineering.

As I recall, probably from high-school grammar, the rule is based on the sound of the word and not the spelling. It's analogous to how alliteration deals with the repetitive sound of words and not with the repetitive spelling. It just so happens that usually the spelling of a word coincides with its sound, but not always.

nicholas421 said:
"An" is used for nouns that phonetically begin with a vowel.

An NSX
An SAT exam

... and the opposie for "A":

A UFO
A US citizen

I was unaware that it was all phonetics as opposed to physical vowel. Oh well, im from the south so I can get away with either.

PLZ said:

To nit pick, "NSX" is not an acronym; it is an initialization. Acronyms are initializations that are pronouced as a word and not letters. e.g.- RADAR, NASA, NASCAR

PLZ said:

With the "X" on the end this would be the way to technically pluralize NSX. Like in the words box = boxes, tax = taxes.

nicholas421 said:
To nit pick, "NSX" is not an acronym; it is an initialization. Acronyms are initializations that are pronouced as a word and not letters. e.g.- RADAR, NASA, NASCAR

According to Webster's an initialism is only a more specified acronym, with an initialism being "an acronym formed from initial letters." So by this definition any initialism can also be labeled an acronym.

Here is their definition of acronym too: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : INITIALISM

To be really picky NSX is not an initialism at all since the acronymn isn't derived from the initial letter of each word. Originally listed as NS-X it stands for New Sportscar eXperimental.

Understudy said:
In my opinion you are correct in your explanation. It has more to do with the sound than the actual spelling of the first letter. Here is an interesting read on this very subject. It lends support to your position, particularly in referencing many different major publications that also support the vowel sound vs. consonant sound explanation.

Yes the link agrees with what I said that its pronounciation, glad to see I am not as dumb as some people would like to think:biggrin:

Understudy said:
With the "X" on the end this would be the way to technically pluralize NSX. Like in the words box = boxes, tax = taxes.

what about Ox? Oxen? NSXen?

Heh. This reminds me of a Brian Regan joke.

Lady Six said:
what about Ox? Oxen? NSXen?

Heh. This reminds me of a Brian Regan joke.

That is certainly an exception and one of the things that makes English a difficult language for anyone, but particularly to learn as a second language. There really are way too many irregularities as in the following pluralizations:

man = men
foot = feet
child = children (an Old English pluralization like your ox = oxen)
mouse = mice

How about unchanging plurals:

deer = deer
sheep = sheep

Lady Six said:
Do you say:

"A NSX" or "An NSX"
I say:

"The NSX".

:D

I don't recall any prior discussion here regarding which indefinite article, but I'm quite certain that an NSX is correct.

We had previously discussed the use of the apostrophe for pluralizing the name of the car, and while I initially thought it was correct to use it, the discussion convinced me that the preferred usage is without an apostrophe (and without adding the letter "e").

nsxtasy said:
We had previously discussed the use of the apostrophe for pluralizing the name of the car, and while I initially thought it was correct to use it, the discussion convinced me that the preferred usage is without an apostrophe (and without adding the letter "e").

Ken, do you remember why the previous discussion concluded that the preferred pluralization would be without the "e" as in NSXes? As a general rule I believe it would be appropriate to add the "e" to any word (and I'm assuming acronym too) that ends in "x", with some exceptions of course. I could see it either way and someone would have to be really picky to care, but if following proper grammar I'd be interested to know.

Back