• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why you keep your NSX

I'm "old", or so my daughter tells me. I'm at a point in my life, where I could buy almost any car I want, but can't see myself spending $300,000 to drive a car, that is superfast, but not "engaging". I'm an analog guy, in a digital world. I love driving both my hand made, all aluminum, mid-engine, rear wheel drive, manual transmission no "nannies" no EV cars. Whether I'm behind the wheel, or just looking at them, they bring a smile to my face.

For me getting the new suspension on was a revelation...The Type R is at its best on smoooooth roads, this long stroke Ohlin is amazingly compliant yet provides more confidence..
The suspension on mine is what I appreciate about the car everytime I drive it yet I always forget about it until the next drive. It's like a pleasant surprise each time. It's so good.

Last edited:
.plus I'm now at stock ride height, and the freedom of clearance is kinda nice.. like you sometimes going backward is forward...o_O

In some ethereal way it seems Honda designed this car for my future 50yr old self. I've been spending the last 16yrs of ownership turning it to what I want it to be for that specific time in my life and now the way I like to drive it is nearly how it came stock from the factory.
What a great way to put it!

I sold my first NSX and almost immediately regretted it. After trying many of the modern supercars (570S, Gallardo, R8, NC1, GT-R) they all feel "synthetic" to me. It's really hard to describe. It's like you can feel all of the microprocessors working in the background all the time to keep the car on the road. It's super, super subtle, but you know it's there. The NC1 was the most intrusive, as I could feel the SH-AWD system stepping in constantly. All of the cars were ridiculously fast, but I came away feeling like they were numb. It was like video game speed to me.

What this really means is I'm getting old. Outright speed isn't what does it for me anymore. It's more of what @RYU calls "the drama" of driving. Manual steering, manual transmission, hard suspension, the noise and vibration of the engine. No driving aids- just your own talent. There are other supercars of this era that do this (Diablo, F355, 993, Viper), but the NSX just does it so much better and with a lot less maintenance.

I keep coming back to the NSX because it provides the best driving experience of any car I've driven. I drove it to work this morning and it's just sublime.
I have a theory on this. I don’t think that it’s “You’re old” in so much as you’ve accumulated enough driving skill/experience to know that almost any semi-performance car cannot be driven anywhere NEAR it’s limit on public roads. If you put a competitive, expert class club racer, say someone like a regional SCCA or NASA champ in a bone stock MX-5 Miata, most people would be STUNNED at how fast THAT car can be, let alone an NSX of any model year, so the priority shifts to how much fun is the car to drive and I can’t think of too many cars that are more fun than the NA1/NA2 NSX!

It's all handling. I grew up reading hot rod magazine at 14 years old or so i started a homebuilt based on a hot rod/altered home built frame and a Fiberglass Trends Cheetah body. Finished it at 16 years old. About 1850lb/chevy 427 around 475 HP so i knew real HP at a young age. Many custom motorcycles later and still in one piece i bought a new 81 Fiat X19 just as a fluke as they were giving them away at that time. Modded it per the available italian parts to around 100 hp and wow it changed my perspective totally. Handling is number one, two and three on my list. Yes do i wish my NSX had 600HP? Yes of course, but handling and NA for the street is my thing. The only other cars that fit my bill would be a Ferrari 355 or newer or perhaps a Cayman. I don't have the bread for the F car upkeep and a lightened NSX is superior to both IMO. Weight loss/close tranny gears/r axle/diff are essential. A stock NA1 is doggy, not so for NA2's. While i've had several awesome Honda two wheelers, i'm not a Honda brand loyalist. That said Honda has consistantly had TOP level engineers. Just my personal thoughts FWIW. My 92 is a cold dead hands car for me.

why ?

Because it's truly the best car in the world.
Ever.

and I mean it.

It's a matter of balance. For sure there are some other cars more powerful, more efficient, more roomy, more economical, more impressive, more this or more that, maybe even more beautiful or reliable.
But in the end, only the NSX has it all. Perfect balanced car, not speaking about weight.

I'm "old", or so my daughter tells me. I'm at a point in my life, where I could buy almost any car I want, but can't see myself spending $300,000 to drive a car, that is superfast, but not "engaging". I'm an analog guy, in a digital world. I love driving both my hand made, all aluminum, mid-engine, rear wheel drive, manual transmission no "nannies" no EV cars. Whether I'm behind the wheel, or just looking at them, they bring a smile to my face.
RPM217 and all the others: Yes, I have been struggling with this same dilemma for several years. But, I have come to the realization that it is time for me to send my NSX on to a new home. I am one of the rare original owners of this beautiful silver '92 NSX... and I just put it on BringaTrailer.com yesterday.
So, if you want some fun, follow the auction and see the comments.

Kudos to the OG owners! Driving the old bee today on RA-1 in the 50's....roof off heat on full...leaves changing...magic..

RPM217 and all the others: Yes, I have been struggling with this same dilemma for several years. But, I have come to the realization that it is time for me to send my NSX on to a new home. I am one of the rare original owners of this beautiful silver '92 NSX... and I just put it on BringaTrailer.com yesterday.
So, if you want some fun, follow the auction and see the comments.
Nice looking car, best of luck with the auction!

Back