• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A vs An

Understudy said:
Ken, do you remember why the previous discussion concluded that the preferred pluralization would be without the "e" as in NSXes?
This reference was cited in this topic.

A quick Google shows that this other site states:

Computer Dictionary said:
The correct method is just to add the letter 's' to the acronym. Here are some examples:

PBXs (not PBX's)
VLANs (not VLAN's)
NICs (not NIC's)
PCs (not PC's)
No mention of PBXes.

The late Dr. Grammar states:

Dr. Grammar said:
Plurals of words, acronyms, and initialisms not normally pluralized?
Form the plural of an acronym or initialism by adding an s. Do not use an apostrophe.
EXAMPLES: "MIRVs," "CRTs." To form the plural of words that do not have true plural forms, just add s.
The standards used at NASA disagree and prefer the apostrophe, although they also note that it is not universally preferred:

NASA said:
We prefer to follow the GPO and to use the 's to form the plural of symbols, abbreviations, acronyms, designations, signs, numbers, and years:

x's
C-130's
PMT's
M.A.'s
4's
+'s
1970's
60's

Note: Chicago Manual of Style and WIT recommend that the apostrophe be used in such plural constructions only when necessary to avoid confusion.
As you can see, the apostrophe is generally omitted or avoided by most authoritative sources (the CMS is well regarded) although not universally so. And there is no mention of the use of the letter "e" with anything other than actual words.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference Ken! While most don't specifically state anything about using an "e" in certain circumstances, the omission of any reference seems to make a good case for just adding the "s" to acronyms as stated in their examples (particularly PBXs).

Last edited:
I did look at this topic and while I didn't make it far down the list before getting distracted, I did notice one that I use frequently and would challenge. The use of alright seems generally accepted now as an alternative to all right. My personal guideline has always been if Webster's accepts it, then I'm good with it too. :tongue:

Understudy said:
The use of alright seems generally accepted now as an alternative to all right.
All right, that's where I draw the line. "All right" is all right. "Alright" is not right at all. :D

I think people mistakenly use "alright" because they're thinking of "already" (which has an entirely different meaning from "all ready").

nsxtasy said:
All right, that's where I draw the line. "All right" is all right. "Alright" is not right at all. :D

I think people mistakenly use "alright" because they're thinking of "already" (which has an entirely different meaning from "all ready").

While we're on the subject, I must say that I don't like reading posts where people use "alot" instead of "a lot." It wastes a split second of my time since I read it as "alet." smile:

redshift said:
While we're on the subject, I must say that I don't like reading posts where people use "alot" instead of "a lot." It wastes a split second of my time since I read it as "alet." smile:

what is "alet" is this something that went over my head:confused:

Wow...this is why I majored in science...I don't really care if it is a or an. :biggrin:

Oh, and you guys have WAY too much time on your hands! :tongue:

nicholas421 said:
do you pronounce that "thuh nsx" or "thee nsx"? :tongue:

LMAO!

TucAZNSX said:
Wow...this is why I majored in science...I don't really care if it is a or an. :biggrin:

Oh, and you guys have WAY too much time on your hands! :tongue:

Yes, all of us who are reading or responding to this thread seem to have way too much time on our hands!

But seriously, although I have an undergraduate degree in math and physics (as well as a graduate degree in math), I tend to be a stickler for proper spelling and grammar. In addition to the fundamental elegance of properly worded English, there is the functional value of being as clear as possible in one's writing. Grammar and spelling evolved to enhance clarity and communication. Poor grammar (especially) is inimical to clear communication.

The grammar demonstrated in most web-based communication is atrocious. I can't count the number of instances where I've read something like "... it was to bad for him..." where I'm trying to figure out exactly where "bad" is located (I'm pretty sure it's an area in Germany - Bad Hofbrau or Baden Baden) before I realize that the person really means that it was "... too bad for him."

Or "...there both going away together..."

Or "... that's there problem, not mine..."

Or "...if your going to the store, can you buy..."

If you're generally used to reading grammatically correct English, these types of grammatical errors really do slow down your comprehension of the writing. In some cases, the grammar is so bad that it's not even possible to discern the writer's meaning.

Enough ranting...

I'll toss my opinion into the ring... I believe that in pluralizing NSX, it should be NSXs without the apostrophe. The apostrophe is only used on proper nouns that end in 's' (e.g. Lexus's)

I cannot believe this thread has so many posts and that i am adding to this number. Hope everything i just typed is grammatically correct.:tongue:

This topic is almost a dream come true. After swinging between s2ki and nsxprime, I was pondering about this exact subject. Based on principle you'd think a s2k, but through the explanations given it finally makes since why it is 'an s2k'.

What a thread! lol.
Thank God SOME people can still speak/write properly. I was beginning to think the entire English speaking world was going down the drain hole…
Your the one's who can talk good. I wish I was able to do that to.

But for “route”, how many of you say “rout” (rhymes with “out”) instead of “route” (rhymes with “root”). Man, I hate that, sounds so stupid…

Anyway, glad we cleared up “an NSX” and “ several NSXes”.
Peter:smile:

clr1024 said:
what is "alet" is this something that went over my head:confused:
What I meant to say was that when I read the improper word "alot" it sounds like "al-et" in my head. This forces me to have to go back and re-read that part of the sentence, wasting a couple microseconds of my time. :smile:

redshift said:
What I meant to say was that when I read the improper word "alot" it sounds like "al-et" in my head. This forces me to have to go back and re-read that part of the sentence, wasting a couple microseconds of my time. :smile:
You sure do complain alot Mr. Redshift:biggrin:

710 said:
What a thread! lol.
Thank God SOME people can still speak/write properly. I was beginning to think the entire English speaking world was going down the drain hole…
Your the one's who can talk good. I wish I was able to do that to.

But for “route”, how many of you say “rout” (rhymes with “out”) instead of “route” (rhymes with “root”). Man, I hate that, sounds so stupid…

Anyway, glad we cleared up “an NSX” and “ several NSXes”.
Peter:smile:

You're the one's who can talk well :biggrin:

Juice said:
I'm a grammer freak. The only correct answer here is "A".

The correct answer is "an NSX" not "a NSX"

Why? Becuase the "N" is pronounced with a soft vowel "en."

Here is a converse example:

You say "a usurper" and not "an usurper"

Why? Because the "u" is pronounced with a hard "yu" and not a soft "uh" sound.

Understudy said:
Perhaps not a spelling freak though! :tongue: :biggrin:

No, not at all. I grew up with word perfect, so spell check was my best friend. My mother was in college while I was in High School. I checked the grammer on her papers for her. And I cheated my way through all of my spelling tests. Our spelling books came with all of the tests in the back of the work book, so I copied them at the beginning of the year before we handed them in. I memorized over 200 sequences of A) B) C) D) in order to get an A+ on my tests. In the amount of time I spent memorizing those sequences, I could have learned the dictionary. Too smart for my own good. :tongue:

I Grok NSX said:
You're the one's who can talk well :biggrin:
I shouldn't react to this, but well, yes, I know it is “you're” and “ones” and “speak” and “well” and “were” and “too”
I were only pulling you’re leg…

nicholas421 said:
do you pronounce that "thuh nsx" or "thee nsx"? :tongue:
OK.
At first I thought it was “thee” NSX because it rolls off the tongue nicely.

But upon reflection I would say it is “thee” NSX if you are speaking about a specific car. But “thuh” NSX if you are speaking generally about NSXes.
As in:
“Thuh NSX is an aluminium car and is available in various hideous colours”
“Thee NSX I want to buy is that purple one over there”

Right? Or is this off topic and should I start a new thread?:biggrin:
Peter

Back