• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS kicking in at traffic stops...

K20NSX's ABS has started to kick in when I slow up for gentle traffic stops, somewhere around the 5mph mark - if I stomp on the brakes all is well and no warning lights are glowing.

Dodgy wheel sensor?

She's due for her 108,000 mile service soon - would it be worth asking the mechanics to run the ABS diagnostics or would I be handing over hard-earned for no reason?

Certainly drivable as is, more of a bugbear than a major headache.

( Any reflexologists on the forum? How would my health be improved by occasional impromptu foot massages to the ball of my right foot? :rolleyes: )

you have a wheel speed sensor that is giving a different voltage reading to the abs contol unit. you need to test your voltage readings from the sensors to determine which one is faulty.

Honda has had issues with ABS. I had a recall on my 2001 accord. Have it checked...also, I'd mention the recall and try to get it comped on that basis.

Honda has had issues with ABS. I had a recall on my 2001 accord. Have it checked...also, I'd mention the recall and try to get it comped on that basis.

can you elaborate on this recall? Does this include the NSX's? My ABS unit has the tail tell sound of a wrench in a metal fan every now and then on a cold start.. I had to replace it on my 91 many years ago.

So you think this might be covered under a recall? :D

NSX tech - thanks - thought it was something peripheral rather than the ABS unit itself.

As for the wrench in fan sound effect ( sounds more like the Energiser bunny on bongos to me ) I've always viewed that as norm after a cold start. If the ABS keeps recycling as the car is driven then there might be an issue with the ABS control unit. There's a thread about this on the tech forum...

recalls are vehicle specific

The last time the Accord shared any parts with the 1991-1999 NSX ABS/ALB system was 1991.

The recall database is here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

If you are confusing "recall" with a TSB, search here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

It sounds like you have a bad or dirty wheel sensor. The sensor is magnetic and can build a lot of crud up....might be confusing the sensor and thinking the wheel has locked up.

Drew
/do not pollute the well of knowledge from which we all drink.

"dirty" sounds entirely plausible to me, my alloy wheels wouldn't know a toothbrush if one hit them on the head. The $64,000 Question is, of course, where are the sensors that need a wash and brush up?

Are they visible if I leave the wheel in situ or do I have to get my jack and wheel brace out of the shed?

I had a similar symptom in my Integra. The abs pump would turn on when slowing gently to a stop when driving slowly, maybe when you get to 1-2 mph. The ABS then failed suddenly and completely on the track. We traced the problem down to a wheel speed sensor that had it's head damaged. Replacing it fixed the problem.

Back