• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Pump

91 X with 25k miles. Recently there is a some hairline leak in the ABS fluid but not enough to trigger the lite or frequent re-fill. However, the pump is recycling more frequently and the factory mechanic said that pressure is leaking out. Also said need to replace the whole assembly as there is no parts avaliable for re-build. This need to be done some time but not urgent. Any idea if there are other fix. Also what is the price for a new/re-biuld unit if such is avaliable. Been quoted US$ 2200 new.

thanks for all the great advice. i went the stomping route and after quite a few hard braking, the problem seemed to have gone away for now. i agree, dealer is not into trouble shootin, just a quick and expensive fix and get the car on the road.

pacacu,

As you read in DanO's write-up. This procedure of getting the ABS engaged periodically should be done regularly. I had this problem last year. I engaged the ABS a few times and have had no problems since. I do it every few months, no problems.

Glad it is resolved.

LarryB

I had the same problem and stomping cleared it for awhile. Cold temperatures seem to aggravate it. Then I had the fluid replaced removing all the moisture that had been absorbed into the system. Problem has gone away (at least so far anyway). When bleeding the system it was amazing how much gas boiled out of the fluid when it was no longer pressurized.

Fritz

These units, particularly on the older cars, seem to have problems which are primarily related to seals. As the unit is very expensive, you would think there would be a rebuild kit with new rubber parts (like a master cylinder).

I have the same problem on my 91-tried the stomping and it did not clear it up. It has to be the seals as the air pump just pumps an pumps until it shuts off and the idiot light comes on.

Has anyone rebuilt one? You would think there would be a demand for this service as these cars age.

about 6 weeks ago I thought I solved the problem by pumping the brakes hard. Today i noticed the pump keep recycling again and when I parked the car and open the ABS reservior, noticed there are lots of bubbles but no loss of fluid. Should I take it to the dealer and ask them to bleed the system.
dash lite never been on at all but just the recycling noise.

I think it's wise to have the ABS serviced according to the service interval indicated in the owner’s manual, witch I believe would have the ABS fluid flushed every two years.

It has been my experience that although exercising the ABS by hitting the brakes hard now and again is good preventative maintenance, it is not a permanent cure for an ABS exhibiting problems.

ABS systems that exhibit problems need to be serviced by a qualified mechanic (or attempted DIY www.danoland.com/nsxgarage). A mechanic may indicate that the ABS unit is faulty and needs to be replaced but those cost big $$$. I think that a good mechanic can fix the units by repeatedly flushing the system and exercising the solenoid valves—it may take 5-10-20 flushes, but it’s cheaper than replacing the unit.

DanO

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 18 November 2001).]

When I bled my system, it took about 3 times before boiling gases stopped coming out and then i think we went one or 2 more rounds for good measure (to be sure we had all the moisture saturated fluid removed and good fresh fluid through out. Through my local club I had access to the special bleeding tool (basically a long T-bar socket with a seal and reservoir so when you open the valve on the presuurized system, the fluid travels up to the reservoir and doesn't make a disastrous mess). I was told the bleeding process runs about $65 and the special tool costs about $125. By having free access to a tool at the time, it cost me the price of a quart of brake fluid. But the process was so easy and simple with the tool, for any half decent self wrencher, I would recommend buying the tool and after 2 uses, you have paid for it in shop labor and every subsequent use is $ in your pocket. Not a bad deal all things considered.

As I left the house this morning my ABS pump started running until it stopped and the yellow light appeared. I proceeded to stomp on the brakes about 4 times and it didn't fix the issue. I thought I made a point of doing this monthly, yet I might have forgotten.

At lunch I did the same thing about 5 times and it still wouldn't stop the pump or prevent the light from appearing. I popped the hood and noticed the ABS reservoir was below the min. mark and fluid was around the unit.

Here's my question ... did a low fluid level prompt my initial problem or is the fluid low from stomping on the breaks?

I'll read Danoland's DIY and work on it this weekend, but I'm curious if I likely have a leak somewhere.

Originally posted by TES:
did a low fluid level prompt my initial problem or is the fluid low from stomping on the breaks?

The low fluid level is probably due to one of the ABS solenoids sticking and blowing the fluid out of the reservoir. This is a common result of a stuck solenoid. Stomping on the brakes should not dramatically lower the level of fluid in the ABS system.

DanO

Like i said in my earlier message, i see more and more of these pumps failing- when will someone start rebuilding them? Judging from board actvity, there is a market.

I don't think you need to rebuild them to fix them, although rebuilding them is an intriguing idea. As far as I can tell, to fix the units, each solenoid needs to be switched on/off about 50 times while at the same time, flushing the system with new fluid.

Rebuilding the ABS module seems difficult at best. Even the removal and installation of the unit would be difficult and while the unit is out, the car would not be drivable. I’m pretty sure the unit comes from the factory as a non-repairable unit—just like the ABS pump.

How about retrofitting the new-style year 2000 ABS into the older cars? $$$

DanO

Recently I heard a herendous noice coming out of the front of my car .It was cycling over and over with almost a squeel like .I was afraid it was a compressor or maybe a fan but the noise was definatly drivers side under the front hood in that coglomerate of confusing parts.Mark said it was common and it was the abs valve "freaked out" from not being used and me finally applying them and it being stuck.I was sure glad it was not the compressor"but" because I spoke of the compressor the a/c system committed suicide the following month.(92'NSX)New a/c drier/new compressor.Mark did it about 2 grand "ouch".I dont 2 nd' guess Marks diagnostics (or) will I live without a/c in AZ.Im glad thats over!!

------------------

Back