• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC Compressor Acting Funny

What's up fellas, I have a question. It was hot as hell today here in "Hell-A" (Los Angeles) and I was in traffic (as usual) when my AC Compressor would engage for 1 minute and disengage for about 2 minutes! I had to roll the windows down since I felt I was dying. Now, when I hit the street and started rolling, the compressor engaged an stayed engaged. Does anyone here have an idea what could be wrong? The AC is cold as heck, but only stays on when I'm rolling????? :confused:

check the condensor fan fuses. See if they are working also when the ac is on. They are not the one at the radiator. also check refregerant level.

I thought it might be refrigerant level too--there is a sensor that shuts down the compressor if the refrigerant pressure is either too low or too high to protect it. Maybe the level is close to the low end due to a leak--if so, you will know soon as the compressor will not come on at all.

I would guess, that you have either an exp valve going bad, or a blockage developing in the rec/drier. Fans of course can cause this, as has been suggested, but if your on/off minutes count is correct, I think your problem is with freon flow. If you have a lazy exp valve, with the orifice pin not rising high enough, the a/c will get very cold, just before the system shuts off due to excessive evap temp. A bad evap temp sensor can also cause this, but this is fairly uncommon.(you can check this in the self diagnostic mode) A sticking exp valve will also cause excessively low pressures which can also stop a/c.
A rec/drier that is blocked, or has enough moisture in it to freeze (another form of blockage) will cause liquid side pressures to rise rapidly, also killing the compressor. This condition also takes more than a minute (usually) to 'normalize'.

All this, without gauge readings, is just previous experience. Check the fuses suggested, and do the self diagnostics- beyond this, the next step will be gauge readings, IMO.

HTH,
MB

Back