• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC Condenser fan rebuild

Not too difficult. I went in through the wheel well for both.

Steps-

Losen lug nuts
Car on Jack stands
Remove wheel and fender liner
Disconnect wire connector
Might have to fiddle with the connector bracket, can't remember
Remove fan and housing
Remove fan from housing

Stuff to have on hand-

Good assortment of extensions and wobble heads
Spare wheel liner clips and fasteners

The fan and shroud have to come off together, getting them out of the wheel well requires some spatial reasoning (or luck). I remember that the housing has to drop down to clear the suspension, but that it clears it without having to modify anything. Having the extensions on hand is critical-you'll have to get a socket/wrench on both sides of the housing to remove the bolts. The bottom housing bolts will be corroded, I cleaned mine up with a tap and die before putting them back on.

Here is a link to info on wheel liner clips and fasteners-http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/206988-fender-liner-fasteners?highlight=wheel+liner

Awesome. Thank you for the instructions!

Steps-

Losen lug nuts
Car on Jack stands
Remove fan and housing
Remove fan from housing

Stuff to have on hand-

The fan and shroud have to come off together, getting them out of the wheel well requires some spatial reasoning (or luck). I remember that the housing has to drop down to clear the suspension, but that it clears it without having to modify anything. Having the extensions on hand is critical-you'll have to get a socket/wrench on both sides of the housing to remove the bolts. The bottom housing bolts will be corroded, I cleaned mine up with a tap and die before putting them back on.

Here is a link to info on wheel liner clips and fasteners-http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/206988-fender-liner-fasteners?highlight=wheel+liner
Do you remember if I have to remove the entire condenser and disconnected/bleed the AC lines? Or can I pull the fan motor and fan off the shroud without having to remove and disconnect the whole condenser unit?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

No. Fan/shroud/motor comes off, condenser stays on and AC sealed. See pic on page 1 for condenser in car w/ shroud removed. Condenser connection generally fragile and prone to corrosion, risky to mess with.

Are you doing this job, or is a mechanic?

No. Fan/shroud/motor comes off, condenser stays on and AC sealed. See pic on page 1 for condenser in car w/ shroud removed. Condenser connection generally fragile and prone to corrosion, risky to mess with.

Are you doing this job, or is a mechanic?
I am doing this myself at the moment. I looked at pages 22-73 - 22-75 in the service manual while trying to get the motor out but don't see where it's possible. The front of the motor is connected to the fan blades, so you have to take the whole fan blades out somehow to finish removing the motor
ed60166fca9a262c2a788a5da5d4b8fb.jpg

I am doing this myself at the moment. I looked at pages 22-73 - 22-75 in the service manual while trying to get the motor out but don't see where it's possible. The front of the motor is connected to the fan blades, so you have to take the whole fan blades out somehow to finish removing the motor
ed60166fca9a262c2a788a5da5d4b8fb.jpg

I believe Jhae [MENTION=3875]Teej[/MENTION] may have done this recently..maybe he can help

The fan, blades, and shroud have to come off as one piece. In the picture below remove the "L bracket" (labled 1) that supports the shroud (labled 2)...then remove the 4 bolts that go through the shroud. There should be one in each corner of the shroud, the one in the lower right is labled with a 3. These 4 bolts go through the shroud, so youi'll need to get a wrench/rachet on both sides of the ac condenser to get them out.

NSX_b_fan.jpg

The fan, blades, and shroud have to come off as one piece. In the picture below remove the "L bracket" (labled 1) that supports the shroud (labled 2)...then remove the 4 bolts that go through the shroud. There should be one in each corner of the shroud, the one in the lower right is labled with a 3. These 4 bolts go through the shroud, so youi'll need to get a wrench/rachet on both sides of the ac condenser to get them out.

View attachment 159809
This helps a ton. Thank you!

It's been almost a decade since I did this so the memories are a bit dim but I did remove the whole fan/shroud thing and vaguely recall struggling a bit to find and get to the bumper ends of those bolts .. I think it was from underneath and behind the bumper. Not terribly hard to do but when you're not sure what you're looking for or where they are, you just need some persistence.

My buddy and I managed to get them off. It was a matter of getting to the 4 bolts up through the front air ducts. He has pretty long and skinny arms, so wasn't too difficult for him to reach in there and get them off.
We didn't use any extensions. Using a power screwdriver on the back side of the shrouds helped too.

New fans are installed and working. Now just have to get the AC to stop acting up and blow cold all the time!!
Thanks for everyone's help.

Steps-

Losen lug nuts
Car on Jack stands
Remove fan and housing
Remove fan from housing

Stuff to have on hand-

First, I have to say THANK YOU for this excellent post! I will be attempting this job once my fans get here from Japan. I'm also buying the brushes to attempt to repair my old ones and keep them as spares. I'm going to attempt the "through the wheel well" method and will update with additional pictures to help future owners.

First, I have to say THANK YOU for this excellent post! I will be attempting this job once my fans get here from Japan. I'm also buying the brushes to attempt to repair my old ones and keep them as spares. I'm going to attempt the "through the wheel well" method and will update with additional pictures to help future owners.
Thank you for all the work you've put into Prime and the community!

I'm moving to Colorado next summer-hope to see you and some others owners when I get there.

Thank you for all the work you've put into Prime and the community!

I'm moving to Colorado next summer-hope to see you and some others owners when I get there.
We'd love to have you here!
My LH condenser fan requires percussive adjustment to spin...so likely new brushes required

AliExpress has 10x 6mm x 6mm x 12mm brushes for US$5

sitrep on job completion.

I replaced the entire motor- writeup on my build thread. I did buy the brushes too as an attempt to repair my old motors and keep them as emergency spares.

Back