• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX Details Emerge - in Today's Autoweek

Somehow I am in 3 people's signatures. I guess even bad publicity is good publicity right WingZ?
LOL I've totally left alone the fact that they're using a BLUE NSX on the track

It has never been stated that the new NSX will have an RLX engine. I am quite positive it's going to be an exclusive engine, especially with twin turbo rumors going around. It's going to share parts with the RLX like the original NSX shared parts with the original Legend...

The NSX is more reliable and comfortable compared to other exotics. It may not be more than a Civic or an Accord, but that is one of the attractive features of the original NSX. You can drive it everyday, rain, snow or dry, long road trips or around town, and it most likely will not break down on you.

What I still don't get is how many people complain about it being under powered because it wasn't under powered it was just underrated. Shouldn't the same people who look at HP numbers also be looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in which the supposed "under powered" V6 was still running with V8's of it's day?? You don't hear people calling the old Supra TT "underpowered" yet the NA2 NSX was faster to 60 and the 1/4 mile??

It was 270hp. At the time, the Supra was 320hp, the 300ZX was 300hp and both had turbos hanging off their V6s. That's ancient history, but you would have thought Honda have learned a thing or two.

Halo cars, on showroom floors today.

Nissan: GT-R 550hp V6 Turbo. No Hybrid BS.
Lexus: LFA. 560hp V10. No Hybrid BS. It actually does sound like an F1 car.
Audi: R8. V8 420hp /V10 525hp. No battery powered motor.

Nobody gives a crap about electric/hybrid cars when it comes to halo sports cars. NOBODY. Can anyone on this forum say with a straight face that one of the top 3 things they'd want to see in the new NSX is "hybrid technology"?

Give us an attractive mid engined car with a V6 turbo/V8, a stick shift and Honda reliability / fit and finish. Seriously, that's really all there is to it. That is what the customers want, IMHO, it's not damn rocket science.

Honda needs to pull their head out of their asses. Their CEO, a bean counting "greenie", said something stupid by promising a revolutionary hybrid powered electric NSX that nobody asked for and now the engineers are scrambling to try to back it up.

Last edited:
What I still don't get is how many people complain about it being under powered because it wasn't under powered it was just underrated. Shouldn't the same people who look at HP numbers also be looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in which the supposed "under powered" V6 was still running with V8's of it's day?? You don't hear people calling the old Supra TT "underpowered" yet the NA2 NSX was faster to 60 and the 1/4 mile??

Exactly. These ~"280" ps NSX were capable of lower 13 seconds, especially with the 6 speed and some even dipped into the high 12 second arena. The 300ZX, Rx7, Skyline, 3000GT and Supra required two turbos and in stock form were generally in the mid to high 13 seconds like the early NSX, if not slower.

People forget that the original NSX was held back by the gentleman's agreement. This time around, there is no such thing.

McLaren P1. And LaFerrari.

Even GTR is planning a hybrid system for the next iteration. I would not be surprised if other companies make the switch too like BMW, Ford and GM. It is the future apparently. Things are going to get more complex.

Even GTR is planning a hybrid system for the next iteration. I would not be surprised if other companies make the switch too like BMW, Ford and GM. It is the future apparently. Things are going to get more complex.

BMW is joining the game with the i8 (still not sure whether this is really a sports car or not) and Lexus LF-LC (2+2) as well.

Back to the point about people caring about numbers, don't you think that could hold true for hybrids? Nobody says they want a hybrid per se, but in this case it means AWD and torque vectoring which do help deliver some impressive numbers. I know the argument was made for people paying attention to engine specs rather than performance specs but honestly I've always heard the opposite - but that could just be me. The GTR gets a lot of credit for being an incredibly fast car for the money and part of that is the AWD + DCT setup giving some insane acceleration numbers. It beats the ZR1 with a good deal less power and while I don't actually know which is faster on the track I've read plenty about how easy it is to do well with it which I believe is because of the AWD+electronics. Doesn't that say something about the tech (GTR) vs minimalist debate (ZR1)? I'm sure people would prefer a lighter simpler car that performed just as well but the fact is it doesn't or it's harder for the driver to extract that performance. So the hybrid setup is simply another way for manufacturers to achieve AWD but on top of that they can do some other cool things:
-the ability to fill in the power band dips with the electric motors
-add lots of torque
-have instant torque off the line (I've never drive an electric car but I bet this feels great driving around town)
-torque vectoring

I understand the frustration with the system and would love to see Honda drop an LFA engine in the car and call it a day but there are merits to the hybrid setup and I'm surprised nobody has brought those up yet.

Give us an attractive mid engined car with a V6 turbo/V8, a stick shift and Honda reliability / fit and finish. Seriously, that's really all there is to it. That is what the customers want, IMHO, it's not damn rocket science.

i fully agree 100%. i don't care if it's a V6 (with or without turbos), V8, V10, or V12. just leave the engine in the middle, make it light and make it run...

p.s. and if they could make it sound like an LFA or an F1 car, that would be fantastic! :smile:

p.s.s. however, the prototype car that lapped Mid-Ohio is sounding very much like a NA V6 with a hollow exhaust.
- - - Updated - - -

the NA1 NSX wasn't necessarily underpowered compared to the exotics of that day. in 1991 the NSX was more-or-less in the same ballpark as the other exotics. however the 2001 NSX was extremely underpowered compared to the Supercars of that day. Ferrari evidently forgot all about the "gentleman's agreement" when they pushed out 400 horsepower from the 360. even Chevrolet was making that power out of the lowly Corvette with pushrods and no VTEC. there's a lot of mention of Toyota's Twin Turbo Supra lately as well, and even the 3000GT VR4 has been mentioned a few times in relation to NSX performance numbers. but those aren't Supercars, and were never legitimate competition for the NSX. Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus are the competition. Honda has to compete with them...

Last edited:
Ferrari evidently forgot all about the "gentleman's agreement"...
Maybe because they were never a party to it.

To my knowledge Ferrari did not produce cars domestically in Japan nor did they compete in the JGTC GT300 series in the early 90s - whichever of those it was that drove the limit on (advertised) horsepower.

i fully agree 100%. i don't care if it's a V6 (with or without turbos), V8, V10, or V12. just leave the engine in the middle, make it light and make it run...

p.s. and if they could make it sound like an LFA or an F1 car, that would be fantastic! :smile:

p.s.s. however, the prototype car that lapped Mid-Ohio is sounding very much like a NA V6 with a hollow exhaust.
- - - Updated - - -

the NA1 NSX wasn't necessarily underpowered compared to the exotics of that day. in 1991 the NSX was more-or-less in the same ballpark as the other exotics. however the 2001 NSX was extremely underpowered compared to the Supercars of that day. Ferrari evidently forgot all about the "gentleman's agreement" when they pushed out 400 horsepower from the 360. even Chevrolet was making that power out of the lowly Corvette with pushrods and no VTEC. there's a lot of mention of Toyota's Twin Turbo Supra lately as well, and even the 3000GT VR4 has been mentioned a few times in relation to NSX performance numbers. but those aren't Supercars, and were never legitimate competition for the NSX. Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus are the competition. Honda has to compete with them...

Yep 400hp

So sexy. Although not quite a match for the Turbo, the 40-valve, 3.6-liter V-8 pours its heart out trying, ripping to its 8500-rpm redline, sprinting to 60 in 4.6 seconds and through the quarter in 13.1 seconds at 110 mph. Cornering grip is just a tick behind the Porsche’s, 0.92 g vs. 0.93.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/ferrari-360-modena-f1-page-4

vs the 290hp NSX
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/2309-Car-and-Driver-TV-segment-on-2001-NSX

HP alone doesn't win the day and as you can see even though it was what a 110hp shy of the 360 it was still just as fast (actually a little quicker). So still compared to the exotics of it's day the NA2 was fast. The car may have been under rated but it was not underpowered. Also notice in the vid that Car and Driver said it was faster than the Corvette and 911 Carrera. Even when the Corvette became the more powerful C6 the NSX at 290hp was still faster. Jump in 30 secs on the vid

Also I don't know your age but back in the 90's the 300ZX TT , Supra TT , VR4 were all considered Supercars. The jump to hyper cars that were still called Supercars is where people get confused.

Nobody gives a crap about electric/hybrid cars when it comes to halo sports cars. NOBODY.
That is what the customers want, IMHO, it's not damn rocket science.
Honda needs to pull their head out of their asses.

In my case 90 % of my driving is at 2500-5000 rpm and high or low horsepower doesn't enter into it much.
The other 10 % of the time when going faster I want 800 hp in a 2500 lb. NSX.
I suspect most NSX drivers are similar.

I believe Honda is addressing the reality of how people really drive sports cars..
90 % of the time a V6 is more than enough for what we need.
The other 10 % of the time when we want big power Honda plans to supply it via a major electric hp boost.
To me this is a smart allocation of capital and resources and keeps the cost down.

Yes, a V8/10/12 is a much sexier and prestigious engine but heavier, and takes more resources and $ to build and maintain.
Better to have an adequate horsepower main engine that sips fuel and is low cost to maintain for 90 % of our driving and another 100 hp+ power source for those special occasions.

I think it's the same logic for transmissions
We all like pushing the shift lever around.
Again 90 % of the time we're going up and down the gears in traffic and then manual shifting is mostly exercise.
For the 10 % when we're going fast manual shifting is fun but it's not making us faster.
Honda (following others) is going with a dual clutch manual with automated shifting.
In traffic it will be a joy.
And when going fast the dual clutch is much faster and safer.
We can keep two hands on the wheel.

The electric AWD on demand without heavy expensive transfer cases, differentials and driveshafts to maintain sounds like a great plan.
Honda does electrics very well and I'm sure we'll have a seamless AWD system that will once again make the NSX a handling dream, with every chance it could be best in class.

I'm thinking Honda may be ahead of the curve on the new NSX, just like they were on the first one.

Last edited:
Nobody says they want a hybrid per se, but in this case it means AWD and torque vectoring which do help deliver some impressive numbers. .... So the hybrid setup is simply another way for manufacturers to achieve AWD but on top of that they can do some other cool things:
-the ability to fill in the power band dips with the electric motors
-add lots of torque
-have instant torque off the line (I've never drive an electric car but I bet this feels great driving around town)
-torque vectoring
+1 Well put.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't care if it's a V6 (with or without turbos), V8, V10, or V12. just leave the engine in the middle, make it light and make it run...
I think you just described the strategy for the Lotus Evora .. they focus on lightweight & midengine .. and don't care about the engine (they even bought an uninspiring V6 from Toyota). Honda engine technology is one of the things that set the original NSX apart (VTEC, titanium con-rods, etc) .. I'd much prefer if Honda did care about the new NSX engine as a key part of the new design.

I think you just described the strategy for the Lotus Evora .. they focus on lightweight & midengine .. and don't care about the engine (they even bought an uninspiring V6 from Toyota). Honda engine technology is one of the things that set the original NSX apart (VTEC, titanium con-rods, etc) .. I'd much prefer if Honda did care about the new NSX engine as a key part of the new design.

true, Lotus' strategy has always been lightness first, which is the strategy for any race team racing any type of vehicle. theoretically, less mass to accelerate means less power required to move it (and with equivalent power, faster acceleration), shorter stopping distances, faster directional changes, better fuel economy, etc. however, my comments about the engine are misinterpreted. what i was saying, is that i don't mind what type of "engine configuration" Honda chooses to implement. i fully expect Honda to design and engineer their own powerplant. i'm very excited that Honda are getting back into Formula 1 and hope that some of the trickle down awesomeness from the pinnacle of auto technology, engineering and racing makes its way into the roadgoing NSX.

as far as the Japanese domestic market "gentleman's agreement" of a 276 HP limit, i'm well aware of it. all of the other cars mentioned in earlier posts, the Nissan 300ZX TT, Toyota Supra TT, Skyline, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, etc., all broke that agreement in the same era as the first model NSX, so why did Honda so vigorously adhere to it when building a flagship model to complete globally with the world’s other manufacturers who were clearly not? surely they sell many more cars outside of Japan than in it? but since Honda also broke the agreement themselves with the '97 NSX with 290hp, why stop there? am i the only person who was a little disappointed to hear that the NA2 model only had 20 more horsepower? would a 350hp ’97 NSX not have been more desirable (to ourselves and the non-NSX faithful)? would the NSX not have sold in much greater numbers? would Comptech not have sold as many supercharger kits?

the NSX is and has always been my favourite automobile. when this next iteration comes out i hope it will be the best sportscar on the road once again. not ‘as good as’ the best sportscar, or ‘almost as fast as’ the best sports car, or ‘more technological’ or ‘better fuel economy’ than the best sportscar. just THE BEST SPORTSCAR ON THE ROAD. that’s all I am saying…

p.s. regarding the status of the 300ZX, 3000GT, Corvette, etc. as Supercars? very few automotive enthusiasts, or at least those who own legitimate undisputed “Supercars” would consider those significantly cheaper, mass produced, non-hand built and un-exotic models to be so. just my opinion boys and girls. None of us compare our cars to a 300ZX do we? i’ve owned one, a truly fantastic car, but not a legitimate “Supercar” in my opinion. again, just my own personal opinion.

I believe Honda is addressing the reality of how people really drive sports cars..
90 % of the time a V6 is more than enough for what we need.
The other 10 % of the time when we want big power Honda plans to supply it via a major electric hp boost.
To me this is a smart allocation of capital and resources and keeps the cost down.

Yes, a V8/10/12 is a much sexier and prestigious engine but heavier, and takes more resources and $ to build and maintain.
Better to have an adequate horsepower main engine that sips fuel and is low cost to maintain for 90 % of our driving and another 100 hp+ power source for those special occasions.

Well said, ever maintained a high performance V8 or V10 boys, why do we love our old car so much because it goes so well without being stessed yes it could do with a bit more power at times but how often? not bad for a 21yr old car.
ever had a battery powered remote control car look at how fast they go off the line, imagine a more modern NSX engine with another 100-150hp on top of what we have now and all the handling characteristics that we have now and the battery front end performance with a bit in the middle. I think we might get addicted to that
good ol New Zealand media only a week behind the rest of the world http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/photos/9007511/Hondas-long-awaited-new-NSX-hits-track<o:p></o:p>

as far as the Japanese domestic market "gentleman's agreement" of a 276 HP limit, i'm well aware of it. all of the other cars mentioned in earlier posts, the Nissan 300ZX TT, Toyota Supra TT, Skyline, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, etc., all broke that agreement in the same era as the first model NSX, so why did Honda so vigorously adhere to it when building a flagship model to complete globally with the world’s other manufacturers who were clearly not? surely they sell many more cars outside of Japan than in it? but since Honda also broke the agreement themselves with the '97 NSX with 290hp, why stop there? am i the only person who was a little disappointed to hear that the NA2 model only had 20 more horsepower? would a 350hp ’97 NSX not have been more desirable (to ourselves and the non-NSX faithful)? would the NSX not have sold in much greater numbers? would Comptech not have sold as many supercharger kits?

It's a little too late to be upset with the "290" rated hp of the eventual 6 year upgrade that came out nearly 16 years ago. Even though it's rated at 290 hp, on the dyno it was putting down more whp than the stock "300-320 hp" twin turbo cars. WHP is where is at along with your unified stance of a well built/light weight chassis. This is the winning formula for the NSX. Like Wingz pointed out, it was still good enough to hang if not beat the 360 or C6 Vette with 400 hp in a driver's race. The NSX apparently is much easier to launch compared to the Corvette or 360.

I think people worry TOO MUCH about hp figures alone and forget the equation is much more complicated than that. The HP determines the class or range, but not where the vehicle ultimate falls on the target.

Also the other Japanese manufacturers were able to rubber-band the 280 PS rule with turbos. We all know FI is very inconsistent with power delivery. Air temps/density, sea level, and many other factors can affect actual whp dramatically whereas an NA car is generally more consistent. The turbo car can be detuned to do a certain psi to safeguard the 280 HP rule but leave enough room for play to net 20-40 more horsepower due to rudimentary boost control/ECU maps.

the NSX is and has always been my favourite automobile. when this next iteration comes out i hope it will be the best sportscar on the road once again. not ‘as good as’ the best sportscar, or ‘almost as fast as’ the best sports car, or ‘more technological’ or ‘better fuel economy’ than the best sportscar. just THE BEST SPORTSCAR ON THE ROAD. that’s all I am saying…

I agree with you that after owning more than one NSX, it is hard to imagine life without an NSX. I have driven extensively and owned many other sports cars. There are a few that may beat it in some or many categories, but overall the NSX still somehow wins IMO. I could say "BEST OVERALL SPORTSCAR on the ROAD" but not "THE BEST" as that is so subjective.

I think we all want the Impossible for the next NSX, where it will beat almost everyone in performance, sound so wickedly unique while still be reliable and maintain an excellent value/price point with an exotically low production to maintain resale value and exclusivity. This is probably why we are so critical of the concept/prototype, because we believe it is possible since Honda was so close to the mark for the original. However we all have different takes on the equation...

p.s. regarding the status of the 300ZX, 3000GT, Corvette, etc. as Supercars? very few automotive enthusiasts, or at least those who own legitimate undisputed “Supercars” would consider those significantly cheaper, mass produced, non-hand built and un-exotic models to be so. just my opinion boys and girls. None of us compare our cars to a 300ZX do we? i’ve owned one, a truly fantastic car, but not a legitimate “Supercar” in my opinion. again, just my own personal opinion.

Super car, exotic car, hyper car, uber car - they are all terms that are subjective and debatable to the end. Alone super, uber or hyper generally means something good, better, above or beyond. Together with the category of car, they set classifications, usually based on price. However with technology, numbers get better as time advances. Soon enough, I believe super car levels will have to be designated numerical values, very much like CPU or graphics card technology. Even in that arena, the designations are arbitrary and almost follow no set rules.

Anyways, during the 90s, when all of the US and European manufacturers were resting upon their laurels, the Japanese delivered sports cars to much higher levels that were "above" or beyond the norm. They could outperform the "super cars" of the 80s. This is why they are coined "Japanese super cars" which excluded the exotic manufacturing processes involved with the European counterparts, but offered similar if not better performance for much better Value.

While the 300ZX, Skyline GTR, 3000GT, Corvette, Supra and Rx7 could compete with the other supercars, they were never exotic in terms of projected sales, market demographic and design. The 300ZX was the only one that came even close to point of sacrificing engine bay space AND thus reliability/practicality to achieve a shorter nose for a front engine car to appear more exotic with the mid-engine look inspired by the MID4. The other issue with the 300ZX is that it sold too well and the typical demographic that bought it/now owns it would not classify it as exotic, even if the last model year was knocking at $60K MSRP.

Not trying to turn this in a exotic/super car debate, but super cars and hyper cars and even exotic cars are terms that are grounded to their times.

Mid-engine and exclusivity (low sales numbers dictated by the ultimate price value) seem to be the only undeniable factors that are synonymous with the term "exotic car". All other variables are subjective IMO.

Mid-engine and exclusivity (low sales numbers dictated by the ultimate price value) seem to be the only undeniable factors that are synonymous with the term "exotic car". All other variables are subjective IMO.

exotic materials? aluminum (big deal in the early 90's), titanium, carbon fiber, etc. + exotic construction, being hand made. these factors contribute to an exotic price tag. when you buy an exotic vehicle, be it a car or a motorcycle, you're typically paying for the materials, components and construction. the exclusivity is derived from the resultant higher price...

Last edited:
exotic materials? aluminum (big deal in the early 90's), titanium, carbon fiber, etc. + exotic construction, being hand made. these factors contribute to an exotic price tag. when you buy an exotic vehicle, be it a car or a motorcycle, you're typically paying for the materials, components and construction. the exclusivity is derived from the resultant higher price...

Again too subjective. "You get what you pay for" is often debated. The LFA is has all of these first time productions and exotic materials. It essentially is priceless with an extremely limited run, but the price point is nearly $400K to get one of the few. The 458 with different configurations and let's say a simpler design/configuration cost ~$240K. The 458 outperforms the LFA in almost every way and looks better to general public. The sad thing is that the LFA came to production about the same time as the 458. The same can be said about the 458 versus the older, just as priceless and more expensive Enzo. Technology becomes more abundant as time advances.

Exotic materials does not mean exotic car. If that were the case, than every manufacturer that uses aluminum, CF or even titanium today would be considered exotic. Exotic or hypercars usually are the first to use the tech because they are the flagship. This is where the confusion lies. Current trend for flagships: "Hybrid/electric powertrain to supplement or augment, not replace power delivery as initially proposed."

Hand-made cars while novel and extremely exclusive, are generally subpar and flawed in so many ways because humans are not as consistent. One or two good pieces of art, but 10? Again, the mass produced "Japanese Supercars" challenged these antiqued ideas. I think the key is finding a balance between everything.

There needs to be an update on the "exotic car" handbook, because we keep getting members every once in a while who post these outdated checklist for exotic cars. Get with the times. The definition has been and will be challenged and thus changes with time. That is technology.

So many want a V8 or V10 in the new NSX. V8 is Italian and German territory. Go buy one their cars and move on if the V8 is such a big deal. The original was a V6 so it's suitable that this one is going to be V6 whether it be turbo or not. The GTR is a V6 and Porsches/GT3 are six cylinders. They can hang with the big boys today just as Honda did back in the 90s. So why can't Honda do it again? Honda makes better engines than Nissan and I don't see Porsche doing as well in F1 as Honda did with McLaren. The step to V8 would make it appear even more Ferrari wannabe in the eyes of many elitist.

Just some tidbits of information for future reference for you:

Porsche kept developing the F6 because it is what made the 911 a 911 for their loyal customer base, they had no other choice.

As far as you comment about Porsche not doing as well as Honda in F1 when the switch happens to the FI V6 in quite debatable, Porsche used to supply water cooled V6 turbo engines to the TAG McLaren F1 cas in the mid 1980's and helped them get several WCC's as well as WDC's, that was before Honda ended up supplying the engines to the McLaren team after Porsche decided to pull out due to the ever increasing costs.

Porsche has way more experience in Motorsports than Honda given how they actually have a separate entity Porsche Motorsports that sells turnkey race cars to customers who participate in various kinds of motorsports events all around the world, unlike Honda who is not a true sports car focused company.

Just some tidbits of information for future reference for you:

Porsche kept developing the F6 because it is what made the 911 a 911 for their loyal customer base, they had no other choice.

As far as you comment about Porsche not doing as well as Honda in F1 when the switch happens to the FI V6 in quite debatable, Porsche used to supply water cooled V6 turbo engines to the TAG McLaren F1 cas in the mid 1980's and helped them get several WCC's as well as WDC's, that was before Honda ended up supplying the engines to the McLaren team after Porsche decided to pull out due to the ever increasing costs.

Porsche has way more experience in Motorsports than Honda given how they actually have a separate entity Porsche Motorsports that sells turnkey race cars to customers who participate in various kinds of motorsports events all around the world, unlike Honda who is not a true sports car focused company.

I don't profess to be a racing fanatic. I am only citing common knowledge and to my understanding Porsche's merits in F1 were not nearly as remarkable. It's debatable, but no one can deny the Senna, McLaren and Honda team-up. Can that be replicated or would that have occurred if Porsche was building the engines at the time???

I don't deny Porsche has their hand in Motorsports more than Honda does cumulatively and especially recently, but one could say the same for Nissan. I'm not trying to turn it into who's a better sports car maker or a better at racing. I'm just saying that V6s are not that bad and many sports car oriented company use them and Honda is not a company to underestimate. There is a clear difference between Nissan and Honda's engineering. The VG30DETT was riddled with reliability issues and the new VQ35HR and newer VQ37HR are still not as impressive or rev happy as the 20+ year older C30A or even the handicapped SOHC J35/J37.

Porsche is definitely more prolific in the number of sports car they have built considering their center focus are sports cars, but one could say the same for Nissan. However, as impressive as the NA GT3 or piggy turbo GTR are in their own right, why is it that we are still looking towards others, like Honda, to make a competitor? Personal styling and demographics have a lot to do with it obviously. Some people simply do not like the look of the brand. Aside from the Carrera GT and the successor 918, I do not find the typical Porsche silhouette to be "exotic" enough :tongue: I believe many others could agree.

I don't profess to be a racing fanatic. I am only citing common knowledge and to my understanding Porsche's merits in F1 were not nearly as remarkable. It's debatable, but no one can deny the Senna, McLaren and Honda team-up. Can that be replicated or would that have occurred if Porsche was building the engines at the time???

Look, I was just pointing out that what you were stating in regards to Honda F1's program for the upcoming V6 swap that will be happening in F1 in 2014 is pure speculation.

What you state as common knowledge is IMHO incomplete and extremely Honda biased.

McLaren was dominant before Honda came in to replace the TAG Porsche V6 engines.

Porsche felt like they had nothing else to prove since they were dominant and that is why they decided to quit their F1 program since the costs were getting to be expensive and their ROI was not worthwhile for the amount of PR that they were creating.

That is also why Honda eventually decided to quit their F1 program after the run that they had with McLaren.

Anyone who has followed F1 for a long while can tell you that the golden years of McLaren were not only due to Honda and Ayrton.

Anyways, I was just trying to educate you a little bit, so that you don't accept things that you read as gospel.

Did BMW beat Acura to the finish line for a mid-priced Hybrid Halo car?
Top Gear drives BMW i8

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bmw-i8-first-drive-car-review-2013-08-09
First Drive: BMW's new-age sports car for the real world

As a long-time NSX fan, I was disappointed when Honda went Hybrid for the new NSX. I don't need a weekend sports car to be more technically complex in order to save a gallon of gas. It's just not what I'm shopping for.

I love cars, and I love technology dedicated to making them more "fun" to drive (4 wheel drive tends to have a numbing effect in the Gallardo), and hybrid gas saving technology is the Beta-Max of our generation in my opinion, so I bought a Porsche (after Ferrari and Lambo dropped the stick shift) and I'm having "fun" with my simple low tech petrol engine and stone-age transmission. LOL I wanted a car that rewarded good driving, not a bunch of computer aids that made driving fast easier.

As one of my best friends still owns her original 1992 NSX I still enjoy the car every-time I get a ride... and have fun following all the new developments for the next NSX on NSXprime (I'd still like to come back to Honda one day, if they ever get the blend between technology and driver "fun/challenge" just right).

Just wanted to hear what you guys thought of BMW's i8 and Top Gear's test drive? (Maybe this will help Acura set a more competitive price for the NSX considering the BMW is in the $130k range?)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Look, I was just pointing out that what you were stating in regards to Honda F1's program for the upcoming V6 swap that will be happening in F1 in 2014 is pure speculation.

What you state as common knowledge is IMHO incomplete and extremely Honda biased.

McLaren was dominant before Honda came in to replace the TAG Porsche V6 engines.

Porsche felt like they had nothing else to prove since they were dominant and that is why they decided to quit their F1 program since the costs were getting to be expensive and their ROI was not worthwhile for the amount of PR that they were creating.

That is also why Honda eventually decided to quit their F1 program after the run that they had with McLaren.

Anyone who has followed F1 for a long while can tell you that the golden years of McLaren were not only due to Honda and Ayrton.

Anyways, I was just trying to educate you a little bit, so that you don't accept things that you read as gospel.

I always appreciate your input in the racing/track topics and enjoy your objective posting. From what I read, they made good engines for F1 with decent power and fuel economy but apparently Honda was always a thorn in the side for them back in the day. I may sound Honda biased, but I was a Nissan fan long before being a Honda fan. I appreciate them all and try to not be biased or blinded by the truth. If Honda does not deliver, then they do not deliver. There is always someone else who can in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Did BMW beat Acura to the finish line for a mid-priced Hybrid Halo car?
Top Gear drives BMW i8

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bmw-i8-first-drive-car-review-2013-08-09
First Drive: BMW's new-age sports car for the real world

The i8 does not look too bad in camo. I do not see how a 230 hp turbo I-3 with another 130 hp from e-motors could represent the company's flagship when they have mid level and entry level sedans/saloons that make more power and still get decent fuel mileage. However the mid-engine aspect and thus, look/proportions are cool. I bet the i8 should get superb fuel mileage, considering they are using an engine that powers Mini Coopers.

Also, I don't really see anyone bashing the merely, 360 hp $100K+ hybrid from BMW, but if Honda does not make 500 hp, then it's a waste of time?

I wonder how the BMW fanatics feel about the i8?

Last edited:

there's definitely a little Honda bias on this site for sure! as one would expect. McLaren is one of the most winning teams in F1 and have won championships with Ford, Porsche, and Mercedes power before and after their collaboration with Honda. Williams was using and winning with Honda engines in the mid to late 80's also. however McLaren's time with Ayrton was certainly a highlight of their storied and successful racing career. the combination of that era helped the 1st generation NSX become all that it is today, the car would certainly not be as great otherwise. here's to hoping Honda's foray back into Formula 1 will bear the same fruit...

p.s. curiously, no one has yet commented on the sound of the prototype NSX?

An interesting thread

I believe most astute car makers decide on a cars positioning in the market before they invest the immense amount of capital to produce it.
We read the NSX project people are benchmarking against McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Nissan etc.
I'd expect Honda is benchmarking all these cars to know where the NSX will place amongst them on various performance parameters.
However benchmarking is not positioning.

To draw the right conclusions about the NSX we need to know what car(s) it's positioned against.
While the 458 is a great car to benchmark against, the new NSX is not likely to be positioned against it.
The 458 power to weight ratio is about 5.8 lbs. per hp, costs a bundle, and sells small volumes.
I don't see the NSX in that market segment.

Personally I think Honda is positioning the NSX against the Porsche 911 and perhaps somewhere between the 911 4S and the GT3
Porsche also uses 6 cylinders, and most importantly sells a significant volume of cars.
The market volume potential is very important as Honda will need to sell some volume to recoup their capital investment.
The 911 4S has a power to weight ratio of 8 and the GT3 6.6.

I think the NSX will come out with a power to weight ratio of about 7.5 - 7.8 engine only and 6.3 - 6. 5 with electric boost.
This should give most Porsches a run for their money on a gas only basis and under the short term electric boost give the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's a bit of a go (until the electrons run out)
A price point of $120 K would be about right positioned against Porsche.

I really like the way this thread is going.
Lots of car talk/speculation so I'll add my own.

The new NSX should be offered with 2 power options.
The simple yet effictive 130k v6 400hp plus
another 80-100 hp from electric driving the front wheels.

The second option would utilize a screaming 700hp,
8000 rpm hand built blueprinted V10 AWD 8 spd dual clutch
0-70 in 2.5. 135mph 11 flat second 180k monster.

Last edited:
Back