• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ADVAN AVS Model 5

There are lots of companies that make knockoffs of these. Its a great looking wheel. Infact I used to have a set of the knockoffs on my Jetta before I went 19". I used to have the Flik Lex from Edgeracing.com.

flik_lex_(gloss_titanium)_angle_zoom.jpg

verses the real Advan Model 5
advan_aero2_3.jpg

Frontin' & flossin', fakin' & foolin'

The ADVAN AVS Model 5 wheel is a forged, lightweight JDM wheel manufactured by Yokohama in Japan. It is available in polished silver, chrome, gunmetal, and bronze finishes. It does not come w/ hub-centric rings, specific tuner lug-nuts, or center-caps. You'll find these wheels on a wide-range of Japanese high-performance sportscars such as the WRX STi, the Skyline R34, and of-course the NSX. Price per wheel ranges from $450-650.

adv_m5.jpg

The ADR Kasai is readily available replica/'knock-off' of the Advan Model 5 wheel. It's cast as opposed to being forged in construction, therefore making it much heavier. There maybe inconsistency in quality, fit, durability/stength, and finish/appearance being a copied wheel. Priced at 1/4 to 1/3 to the cost of Advan Model 5's, I must say it's a VERY tempting alternative. Price per set ranges from $500-750

ADR-45%20KASAI%20HMC%20BLACK.jpg
adrKasai.jpg
ADR-45%20KASAI%20HMC%20SILVER.jpg
KASAI-HMCBLACK.jpg
ADR-45%20KASAI%20SILVER.jpg

showpicture.php

Use the "search" as aforementioned, lots of insights/info available.

{I went with the ADVAN Model 5's in gunmetel in the 02+ OEM NSX-R size/offset.}

Last edited:
Here is a set of Bronze Advan Model 5s on my white NSX. I bought these from Seth from SOS. It is not the best picture, but the only pic I really have. I can take better pics if you want though.

original.jpg

Example.... gunmetal finish, F: 17x7 (+35), R: 17x9 (+40).

Advan Model 5's MSRP $495 front and $535 rear
My price $429 ea for the fronts and $464 ea rear. The 17" are a non-standard size for USA, so they need to be ordered (3-4 months)

Tom

price breakdown
17x7.0 $429
17x9.0 $464
18x9.0 $538
18x10.0 $554

Last edited:
ChrisK said:
Here is a set of Bronze Advan Model 5s on my white NSX. I bought these from Seth from SOS. It is not the best picture, but the only pic I really have. I can take better pics if you want though.

original.jpg

Get to work, that looks GOOD.

looks vs. performance...

redshift said:
Just wondering where you can get these prices... it just seems low.

Not at all. For a non-staggered set (same width & diameter) you can get a set off EBay for $200-300ish, but they hike up the s/h to $100-150. Inquire about getting a staggered set (staggered width is a must for NSX, staggered diameter is personal preference). Also, just check online on various wheel sites, email/call them for their best/discounted price for a staggered set.

I'd personally advocate getting the Advan AVS Model 5's for a NSX. If it was for a sedan, luxury/GT coupe, or SUV... then perhaps ADR Kasai's are worthwhile looking into. Owning a lightweight, ultra high-performance, high-end sportcar such as the NSX, it should be accessorized/modded accordingly as to not compromise it's identity/traits/abilities.

Though if a 18/19 setup is desired... really no sense in getting a lightweight wheel.

{weight difference between the Advan & ADR is about ~5lbs-7.5lbs/wheel... aesthetically, it's a very good-looking wheel; durability/quality/finish are questionable... many car enthusiasists out there have them, check other forums!}

Re: Frontin' & flossin', fakin' & foolin'

Osiris_x11 said:
The ADVAN AVS Model 5 wheel is a forged, lightweight JDM wheel manufactured by Yokohama in Japan.
Actually, the Model 5 is a cast wheel. I was looking into the T6 when I was waiting forever for my LE37T, so I found out that the Model 5, 6, and 7 are all cast.
Steve

some weights...

Manufacturing Technique: Cast (I was incorrect, thanks WhiteNSXs)

Found this on the FD RX7 forum:

The Model_5 17x8 +45 5x114.3 without lugs (but with cap) was 17.9 lbs.
The Model_5 17x10 +45 5x114.3 with cap weighed in at 20.7 lbs.
(These weights according to my UPS scale)

Found elsewhere:

ADR Kasai: {Cast} 18x8, 22.8lbs
Advan Model 5: {Cast} 18x8, 19.8lbs
http://www.europeanspeed.com/wheelweights.htm

I am having trouble locating a staggered set of these. For anyone that has or had them, I have an opportunity at a set of 17s and 18s, separately. Should I get them or try to haggle individually with each seller for 2?

The 17s I think or 17x717x9 and the 18s are 18x9/18/10. This is my first rim buy so any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

check the "Advan Model 5" threads, lotsa info...

I have Advan AVS Model 5's in gun-metal, 17/17...

17x7 (35mm offset)
17x9 (40mm offset)

This is the same setup at the '02'-'05 NSX OEM wheels & NSX-R.

If you want to go w/ staggered diameter, might as well order them... it can take anywhere from 4-6weeks to 4-6months, depending on what's in stock (sizes, finishes) and freight/shipping, customs, etc.

I got mine from: (approx. 7-8weeks) http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/advanm5.htm

More options: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=462092&postcount=12

RP-Motorsports/Tom, a member of the community, also can get them; his price was the best among the quotes I received. The wait was just too long at the time (4+ months)..

These have always been my favourite wheel ever since I laid eyes on them. They look really nice with a low offset where the spokes curves into the center hub.. Bronze goes especially well with a black/dark coloured car.. I'm gonna get a set once I saved up enough. Well, seeing as ur only saving like ~1.5kg per wheel and its not forged, suddenly the ADR seems so much more appealing alternative... :biggrin:

Does anyone know if the ADR looks identical compared to the genuine AVS?

Quote "The ADVAN AVS Model 5 wheel is a forged, lightweight JDM wheel manufactured by Yokohama in Japan. It is available in polished silver, chrome, gunmetal, and bronze finishes. It does not come w/ hub-centric rings, specific tuner lug-nuts, or center-caps. You'll find these wheels on a wide-range of Japanese high-performance sportscars such as the WRX STi, the Skyline R34, and of-course the NSX. Price per wheel ranges from $450-650."

According to Mackin Industries the model #5 is a cast wheel. and not really that light. http://www.mackinindustries.com/md/yokohama/model5.html
MODEL 5

Last edited:
Back