• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advan AVS Model 5's, where are you at?

As per Synth's track pics he runs his other Advans on the track... and I'd presume those have rings.

I don't think they do either from our previous conversations. He likes flying by the seat of his pants.... :biggrin:

^ lol

6984814464_ff757a5b6f_b.jpg

I regret not getting the 17/18 bronze set that was for sale on here

Anybody have a 17/18 with similair pricing for sale Lmk

Ok Yokohama Advan AVS Model-5 brethren, have any of you had one/more of your Model-5 wheels repaired which have have been bent and/or cracked? Was the repair done satisfactorily (namely, do these wheels take such repair-procedures well)? Any advice, suggestions, or insight? Thanks, in-advance!

ive seen some badly wrecked model 5's in person. i dont think heavily bent or cracked would take repair procedures well.

my first thougth when i saw wrecked model 5s was that the wheel spokes are completely hollow on the inside; which prompted me to think that it wouldnt be a good idea to restore a wrecked rim.

imho as i am NO wheel expert

Ok Yokohama Advan AVS Model-5 brethren, have any of you had one/more of your Model-5 wheels repaired which have have been bent and/or cracked? Was the repair done satisfactorily (namely, do these wheels take such repair-procedures well)? Any advice, suggestions, or insight? Thanks, in-advance!

It will be a case by case basis. The magnitude of the damage is only secondary to where the impact/damage occurred on the wheel. Some wheel repair centers will not repair key stress points (on the spokes for example) but will gladly lay down a big weld bead on the barrel.

My bathroom scale says these 18x9 are 20.8 lbs

Looks like your tire is about to fall off. You better check for broken lugs! Damn those hubcentric spacers! :wink:

Cozmo do you realize not a single wheel manufacturer recommends this? It's for a reason. There is most certainly a safety compromise. Everytime your wheel slams into a bump the entire force is taken by the lugnuts. It's a dangerous practice you are joking about.

I consider synth my friend, and I would never want anything to happen to him. Ask RSO34 what it's like to have your wheel come off the car at high speed. You can get killed. Is it worth it? Why not just get the $8 ring man? I don't get it.

Me neither! Especially from someone who has had so many wheels. Why not just get them, $20 on eBay for billet aluminum ones. There's a reason the wheel hub is so meaty!

Speaking of hub rings... Can someone go out there and measure the hub bore size on the Advans?

Is it the standard 73.1mm?

The ebayers typically sell these in sets of 4 and since our NSX has a different front vs rear hub bore size i'm happy to go halfers with someone.

I ordered a set from science of speed and they shipped the correct size front/rear. I believe it was fairly cheap as well.

ill measure when i get home. i have the various sizes: 17x7 17x8 18x9 18x10 ... is it safe to assume that the bore will be all the same size for them all?

I wouldn't be able to measure them until late tonight, possibly tomorrow.

i think he was just joking around man; im pretty sure he doesnt want anything bad to happen to synth either.

with that said i think you've singlehanded made sure that everyone who donest have hub rings running on aftermarket wheels scrambling to get a set asap :)

Cozmo do you realize not a single wheel manufacturer recommends this? It's for a reason. There is most certainly a safety compromise. Everytime your wheel slams into a bump the entire force is taken by the lugnuts. It's a dangerous practice you are joking about.

I consider synth my friend, and I would never want anything to happen to him. Ask RSO34 what it's like to have your wheel come off the car at high speed. You can get killed. Is it worth it? Why not just get the $8 ring man? I don't get it.

i think he was just joking around man; im pretty sure he doesnt want anything bad to happen to synth either.

with that said i think you've singlehanded made sure that everyone who donest have hub rings running on aftermarket wheels scrambling to get a set asap :)
HAHA! As much as I appreciate Turbo's concern i'm one of the few guys who do not subscribe to the Hubcentric ring paranoia. The most important to have in place are a proper set of lugcentric bolts with the proper seat taper.

I'm looking for a set of rings because it's easier to torque down a wheel accurately with hub rings centering the wheel while the lugs are tightening down. I also do not like my socket scraping the walls of the wheel and chipping the paint around the lug nut area (huge annoyance for me). Many manufacturers sell plastic rings and most of the rings available are soft aluminum. They're not forged or hardened in any way.

Is it safer, i'll bet money and say yes, is the benefit marginal, probably.

My $0.02.

way back in my racing hart c2 (im sure some of those my age will recall these classic wheels) integra days; the hub rings helped a ton since my wheels were vibrating at over 100 kph (60 mph).

after the hub rings POOF... vibrations all gone.

HAHA! As much as I appreciate Turbo's concern i'm one of the few guys who do not subscribe to the Hubcentric ring paranoia. The most important to have in place are a proper set of lugcentric bolts with the proper seat taper.

I'm looking for a set of rings because it's easier to torque down a wheel accurately with hub rings centering the wheel while the lugs are tightening down. I also do not like my socket scraping the walls of the wheel and chipping the paint around the lug nut area (huge annoyance for me). Many manufacturers sell plastic rings and most of the rings available are soft aluminum. They're not forged or hardened in any way.

Is it safer, i'll bet money and say yes, is the benefit marginal, probably.

My $0.02.

Back