• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AEM INFINITY standalone for the NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all just wanted to let everyone know that AutoWave Inc. has been invited to the first official formal training for the NEW AEM INFINITY STAND ALONE ECU. We are very excited about this as this will be the new bench mark in standalone engine management systems that are available on the market. Rest assured this system will be offered through AutoWave Inc. for all years of the NSX. We are also looking into bringing this ECU Into the Porsche and BMW market as well. Stay tuned for release dates and pricing.

here is some info on the ECU
Infinity_main_header.jpg
Infinity Stand-Alone Programmable Engine Management System

The Infinity EMS represents a quantum leap in technological capability over virtually all existing engine management controllers available today and eases the tuning process for even the most sophisticated engine combinations. It is quite possibly the most advanced programmable engine controller available.

UNIVERSAL WIRING HARNESSES
AEM offers a universal wiring harness for the Infinity EMS

ENGINE CONTROLLER PROCESSING POWER
There are 2 powerful processors at the heart of the Infinity EMS. The primary automotive MCU is a 200 MHz, 32 bit processor running a programmable-state machine on a real-time operating system. It features a full 32-bit floating point unit with a math co-processor. Translated into Millions of Instructions (or ‘thoughts’) Per Second (MIPS), it is able to process 400 MIPS. The average aftermarket EMS has less than 50 MIPS processing power. A secondary 20 MHz automotive MCU is also included for intelligent on-board power management and future peripheral I/O growth.

MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY
Infinity uses the latest printed circuit board (PCB) manufacturing processes for Ball Grid Array (BGA) and Quad Flat No-Lead (QFN) components. Its PCB size is roughly 5.5” x 5.5”.

RELIABILITY
The Infinity EMS is constructed using automotive-rated components designed to withstand the harshest racing environments, and it features an advanced wear-leveling strategy for flash memory to ensure a lifetime of reliable performance. The enclosure and connectors are sealed and suitable for engine bay mounting.

InfinityTuner USER INTERFACE SOFTWARE
InfinityTuner, the Infinity’s user interface software, is optimized for speed and performance with super high-resolution 3D graphics, and features user-selectable control types for custom layouts. An ECU Setup Wizard takes complex calibration setup work and simplifies it through a smart interface. The Infinity’s data logging playback mode allows for calibration editing and all controls are synched to the logged data. This allows you to edit calibration data exactly where you need to and minimize your tuning time. AEMdata, AEM’s new advanced data logging analysis software is also included.

AIRFLOW MODEL BASED CALCULATIONS
Infinity system base models are airflow based and feature various modes for calculating air flow. This eliminates many of the lookup and trim tables (Correction Tables) which are necessary in previous generation ECUs.

Infinity’s model based systems calculate an engine’s requirements in real time based on an advanced engine control model. The development environment used to generate the models in the Infinity EMS does not require the developer to write code.

ULTRA-HIGH RESOLUTION FUEL CONTROL
The Infinity EMS calculates injector pulsewidth in units of 1/10th of a microsecond. There are 1,000 microseconds in one millisecond. A millisecond is a lifetime to the hardware on this unit. This is fuel control resolution to 0.0000001 second.

ACCURATE IGNITION TIMING UNDER ANY CONDITION
The Infinity EMS has NO practical crank tooth resolution limit. Infinity’s software continuously calculates engine acceleration in between the teeth edges to predict accurate firing locations even under the most adverse conditions like high compression cranking and high engine acceleration rates. The Infinity EMS’s back-end timing code is tested to 100,000 RPM.

LIGHTNING-FAST DATA LOGGING
Infinity’s logging feature supports 2 different file systems depending on the required logging performance. A standard FAT file system will support 10 channels at up to 1KHz, 20 channels at up to 500Hz or 100 channels at up to 200Hz. For even more performance, a custom file system option will support 100 channels at up to 1 KHz using a high performance USB flash drive (not included). The Infinity includes a 4GB USB memory stick and the user can replace this with up to 64GB. Additionally, the user can also log direct to the PC at up to 500Hz when connected.

AEMdata DATA ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
AEMdata provides an advanced interface for viewing the log files generated by the Infinity EMS. CLICK HERE for more information.

DUAL INTERNAL WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
A 2-channel Bosch wideband controller is built into the Infinity EMS. Closed-loop heater control is automatic and designed to optimize sensor performance and reliability. Full diagnostics software is included to ensure reliable operation.

FLEX FUEL COMPENSATION
The Infinity’s core control model is designed for flex fuel compatibility. It makes automatic adjustments for ethanol content and applies them to fuel flow, ignition timing and boost target (ethanol content sensor is sold separately).

MULTI-FUEL CAPABLE
The Infinity has the ability to run two separate fuel types simultaneously through staged fuel injection. This can be done by simply specifying the fuel type for each injection stage in the set-up wizard.

DUAL KNOCK SENSING
Dual knock signal conditioning circuits reside within the Infinity EMS and allow for precise measurements of knock levels. The Infinity can utilize both Piezoelectric and Flat Response type knock sensors.

INTERNAL SIMULATOR
A powerful input simulator feature is included that allows the user to simulate input channels to the Infinity EMS. By simulating operating conditions users can validate tuning changes before running the engine.

REAL-TIME ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS
The Infinity EMS includes advanced sensor and I/O diagnostics, including current monitoring and feedback. The Infinity’s diagnostics software constantly monitors signal and current quality to alert the user of a potential issue before it creates the potential for engine damage.

INTEGRATED ENGINE PROTECTION STRATEGIES
Engine protection strategies are incorporated into the Infinity EMS. Available strategies are based on boost fuel cut, fuel pressure (injector flow compensated for variations in pressure, sensor required), oil pressure, RPM (rev limiter), coolant temperature, knock control with feedback and lean protection.

COMMUNICATIONS
Infinity uses the latest in high speed USB technology (up to 480 Mb/second). It features a fully-sealed IP67 connection system (Ingress Protection rating for total dust protection and submersion between 15cm and 1m) for PC communication and logging to a USB storage device.

NETWORK INTERFACES
Infinity is AEMnet enabled and will communicate with another AEMnet-equipped device and output to 3rd party dash/logger devices (not all 3rd party dash/logger devices may be supported).

Call AEM technical support at (310) 484-2322 for more information.

INFINITY EMS ADVANCED TUNING PACKAGE
Certain Advanced Tuning functions, hardware outputs and sensor inputs (see “Advanced Tuning Package” below) are available for the Infinity Programmable EMS. The Infinity EMS's Advanced Tuning Package is sold separately. Please contact an Authorized AEM dealer or call AEM Performance Electronics at (310) 484-2322 for more info.

PROFESSIONAL TUNER TRAINING
Training for the Infinity EMS is available to professional tuners. Contact sales at AEM Performance Electronics at [email protected] or call (310)484-2322.

INFINITY EMS TECHNICAL SPECS (CLICK HERE for a printable Infinity specifications chart):
Up to 12 peak and hold injector drivers
Up to 12 (0-5V) ignition outputs
3 analog temp inputs (Additional 3 with Advanced Tuning Package)
11 analog voltage inputs (Additional 6 with Advanced Tuning Package)
7 digital inputs (Additional 1 with Advanced Tuning Package)
4 VR/Mag differential pair inputs (Additional 2 with Advanced Tuning Package)
12 configurable outputs (Additional 1 with Advanced Tuning Package)
Variable cam control (up to 4 cams, application dependent)
Dual internal wideband controllers
2 H-Bridge drivers for drive-by wire (Application dependent. Requires Advanced Tuning Package)
32 Bit, 200MHz 400 MIPS primary microprocessor
20 MHz auxiliary microprocessor
6” L x 6” W x 2” H (1.125” H w/o connectors)
24 Ounces/680.4 Grams
129 pin, fully-sealed IP67 spec ECU enclosure and connectors

INFINITY EMS FEATURES:
Compatible with most factory and performance aftermarket sensors
Includes start up configurations (supported applications only)
ECU set up wizard
User interface features 3D graphics
Internal simulator
USB 2.0 High-Speed communications
Tune using USB communication port (optional weatherproof extension cable sold separately)
High-speed USB data logging to mass storage device (4GB included, tested to 64GB)
Internal data logging playback mode on every channel, synchronized with all controls
AEMdata data analysis software included
2-Channel CAN included
Runs on Windows-compatible software

INFINITY EMS CAPABILITIES:
Airflow model based calculations
Fuel control resolution to 1/10th of a microsecond (.0000001 sec)
Multi-fuel capable
Flex fuel compensated – fuel, ignition and boost with blend
Open-loop fuel pressure compensation
Ignition table, 20x20
VE airflow table, map vs. engine speed, 20x20
Configurable coil dwell (RPM, voltage and load based)
Individual cylinder ignition trim (RPM based)
Individual cylinder fuel trim (RPM based)
3D ignition trim maps (coolant and air temp)
VE-based engine startup
Real-time sensor diagnostics
Integrated engine protection strategies
Dual internal wideband controllers
Target Lambda table, 10x10
User adjustable charge temperature blend (CLT/AIT, engine speed dependent)
O2 lean-out protection
Electronic boost control (time based or target based)
Idle control (stepper and pulsewidth)
Programmable traction control, 2-wheel speed or engine acceleration (4-wheel speed with Advanced Tuning Package)
2-channel adaptive knock control
2-step programmable launch control (3-step with Advanced Tuning Package)
No-lift shifting (Requires Advanced Tuning Package)
User configurable soft-cut rev limiters
User configurable anti-lag
Single stage wet or dry nitrous control coming soon (3-stage with Advanced Tuning Package, coming soon)

ADVANCED TUNING PACKAGE:
Advanced Tuning Functions:
No-lift shift
4-wheel speed traction control
3-step launch control
Drive by wire (application dependent, coming soon)
3-stage nitrous control (coming soon)
Advanced Tuning Hardware Outputs:
1 high side driver (coming soon)
2 H-bridge channels
Advanced Tuning Inputs:
2 analog voltage inputs (4 additional coming soon)
2 VR/Mag differential pair inputs
1 digital/frequency input (coming soon)
3 analog temp inputs (coming soon)

Do you still need to use the OEM ECU to control throttle in OBD2 cars?

No the Infinity will have direct control DBW function No longer will there be a need to keep the stock computer in place. With the advanced tuning from advanced tuners you will be able to do full traction control that will monitor all 4 wheel speeds. Making traction control completely programmable able to cut fuel, spark and close the throttle blade. All of this will be able to be tuned for each car. Whether if your car is at stock power or 1kwhp. From my understanding this new ecu will take stand alone engine tuning to the OE level of sophistication. Allowing the ability for the ecu to be put in a series of limp modes if there were to be a sensor failure or if the ecu is picking up something that is out of the norm.

No the Infinity will have direct control DBW function No longer will there be a need to keep the stock computer in place. With the advanced tuning from advanced tuners you will be able to do full traction control that will monitor all 4 wheel speeds. Making traction control completely programmable able to cut fuel, spark and close the throttle blade. All of this will be able to be tuned for each car. Whether if your car is at stock power or 1kwhp. From my understanding this new ecu will take stand alone engine tuning to the OE level of sophistication. Allowing the ability for the ecu to be put in a series of limp modes if there were to be a sensor failure or if the ecu is picking up something that is out of the norm.

This sounds likes $$$$$$$$$ of tune time involved. I propose vendors who will make a plug n' play I-10 for the NSX ship it with a well sorted base tune fitted for the car. This base tune should accommodate for all the bells and whistles but not necessarily the common stuff like injector sizing/pulse, timing, and other common parameters. Personally, this is the only way i'd want to buy it. I can't afford more than 3-5hrs of tune time and what this unit can do takes an OEM thousands of hours to fine tune.. hence why the OEM ECU is so good for a stock engine.

The silver lining here is that Vendors can now differentiate themselves much better by showcasing how good their tuning is for "limp mode" or "traction control" per say..

Last edited:
This sounds likes $$$$$$$$$ of tune time involved. I propose vendors who will make a plug n' play I-10 for the NSX ship it with a well sorted base tune fitted for the car. This base tune should accommodate for all the bells and whistles but not necessarily the common stuff like injector sizing/pulse, timing, and other common parameters. Personally, this is the only way i'd want to buy it. I can't afford more than 3-5hrs of tune time and what this unit can do takes an OEM thousands of hours to fine tune.. hence why the OEM ECU is so good for a stock engine.

The silver lining here is that Vendors can now differentiate themselves much better by showcasing how good their tuning is for "limp mode" or "traction control" per say..

Wouldn't they have base maps for different cars? Sounds insane to start from scratch.

Wouldn't they have base maps for different cars? Sounds insane to start from scratch.
Who's "they"? You mean AEM? I believe they stopped supporting the NSX a few years ago. :frown:

Not to mention one map does not fit all. Though one map can probably get you to your local tuner driving very very conservatively while monitoring your engine vitals.

Last edited:
It's around 2300 for the aem i10 lasttime I read on hondatech, so with harness and basemap and everything to make to work on nsx probably around 3 grand

ITB on OBD II with DBW ?

An easy-to-read table that shows what the Infiniti system offers over the EMS Series 2 (and even plotting against the Series 1, Version 2) would be a great help to all us consumer types.

Thanks!

I thought another reason why we had to keep the OEM ecu on obd2 cars was because the cam system?

I was told that is something to do with the dash, it's all electronic and is ran via the ecu. Not sure how true that is but I was told this.

The Ecu I looked at would control the DBW not needing the OEM ecu to but it still had to be in place for the cam bus.

If this really does replace the OEM ecu altogether it's finally the solution obd2 owners have been waiting for.

I thought another reason why we had to keep the OEM ecu on obd2 cars was because the cam system?

I was told that is something to do with the dash, it's all electronic and is ran via the ecu. Not sure how true that is but I was told this.

The Ecu I looked at would control the DBW not needing the OEM ecu to but it still had to be in place for the cam bus.

If this really does replace the OEM ecu altogether it's finally the solution obd2 owners have been waiting for.

I think you mean CAN bus (for controller area network), If so the AEM unit supports a CAN bus but is used to communicate with other supported CAN bus devices like data loggers. The OBDii port on the car is a very perticular form of communications. The plug in testing process that some states use for emmisions testing will not be emulated by the AEM infinity system as I understand it from AEM. That means if your state has a plug in test you will not pass with the AEM Infinity system, if you have a state that uses the treadmill and sniffer you simply need a good tune to pass.

I do not believe our cars use a CAN enabled dash module, so we should be able to use the Infinity without any ill effect to the dash display. AEM Infinity will have to have CAN support for these modules in order to be used in a more modern car, there are provissions and more than one CAN bus but the software to allow these modules to talk to the Infinity will have to be setup for every vehical out there. This will take time to do. I have been playing with the Infinity software but what they have released is far from complete and I see no provisions to do much customizing as of yet.

I will end up taking the AEM Infinity tuning clases and will most likely be using the ECU in my car. '04 NSX with twin turbos.

Until Mike gets one of these babies in house to play with we will not know what can or cannot be done on an NSX. The system is designed to have very few limits so we should be able to do just about anything but make the OBDii port work. It is physically possible but I do not think AEM has found a way to make the EPA happy.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back