• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SoS new Link ECU

SoS released this new ecu today https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...ink-engine-management-system-nsx-1991-94.html

0A061F9B-47E5-49DE-8F41-BFC1C221AA7A.jpeg

It’s based on the Link G4x. What do you guys think? Anyone out there have Link tuning experience? The Link software felt more jank to me than the haltech NSP, but I also have never used either with a real ecu, or for any amount of time, obviously.

I have decided to pull the trigger on a new ecu. I was pretty set on a haltech nexus r3, and have been building a basemap for the haltech nexus r3 over the last week. This new ecu may change plans. Seems like it’d be so much easier to set up, and it works with the widebands I already have.

Part of me still wants the nexus tho, only because it comes with the PMU features. I could totally replace the main relay and have the nexus power the fuel pump, injectors, and coils.

Hmmmm

Last edited:
SoS released this new ecu today https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...ink-engine-management-system-nsx-1991-94.html

View attachment 183319

It’s based on the Link G4x. What do you guys think? Anyone out there have Link tuning experience? The Link software felt more jank to me than the haltech NSP, but I also have never used either with a real ecu, or for any amount of time, obviously.

I have decided to pull the trigger on a new ecu. I was pretty set on a haltech nexus r3, and have been building a basemap for the haltech nexus r3 over the last week. This new ecu may change plans. Seems like it’d be so much easier to set up, and it works with the widebands I already have.

Part of me still wants the nexus tho, only because it comes with the PMU features. I could totally replace the main relay and have the nexus power the fuel pump, injectors, and coils.

Hmmmm
Dang, I would have said the Haltech Nexus R3 also. But Chris has it set up so nice with this new Link ECU, might be worth switching... He might even be able to send you a base map for the supercharger. I think Haltech is more established and their customer support is apparently really good though. Glad you are making the switch- I think you squeezed the most out of that old AEM that you could.

Dang, I would have said the Haltech Nexus R3 also. But Chris has it set up so nice with this new Link ECU, might be worth switching... He might even be able to send you a base map for the supercharger. I think Haltech is more established and their customer support is apparently really good though. Glad you are making the switch- I think you squeezed the most out of that old AEM that you could.
Yeah I’m still really on the fence between this and the r3. The ease in getting this link running is super enticing. That may be the difference.

Hopefully they’d be willing to give me a pretty tuned sc map. That would be such a great starting point. I’ll ask SoS. I suppose if they are willing, I’ll probably pull the trigger on the link. The car in the video is a local Bay Area car too. If SoS isn’t down to send me a sorta close sc map, I’d definitely ask him.

Modern electronic products tend to have product support durations consistent with the lifespan of fruit flys. Deprecation seems to be a favorite industry word, as in "your product has just been deprecated - too bad, so sad".

You might want to consider the reputation of the two source vendors (Link & Haltech) and whether they have a reputation for long term product support. Nothing like finding out that new ECU you purchased has just been deprecated which is not a problem if you can do you own repair work in the post warranty period.

Yeah, obsolescence is definitely a concern. Haltech / The nexus seems like it may be better in this regard. I think the elite has been out for significantly longer than the G4+ (the last iteration of each), and haltech recently upgraded the elite to be able to use the nexus software. So it feels like haltech is probably better at long term support.

If it weren’t for the SoS kit, the haltech would be a no brainer for me. But because it feels a lot easier to use the SoS setup, the link is currently a bit ahead in my head, despite obsolescence concerns. I dunno, I’m on the fence.

Both you and Old Guy have valid concerns. I'm still running AEM Series 2. I had thought about going to Infinity once upon a time but the lack of support and possibility of bricking an Infinity scared me off. If still on the fence, might I suggest contacting a reputible tuner and get their opinion? They work across many platforms and would really supply you with unvarnished truths, pro and con, on the options.

I should be clear. There are two types of non-support.

There is "The product life has ended. We will no longer be doing any firmware patches or upgrades; but, may be able to reload firmware and may be able to diagnose and do hardware repair depending on the availability of parts."

There is also " The product life had ended. If your old ECU dies, we refer you to our latest product offering for replacement"

Rather than talk to tuners, I would be inclined to email Link and Haltech and flat out ask them what product support they offer after that product is no longer on the market.

If you want insurance and the product is working well for you, I would be inclined to purchase two ECUs and load the tune on to both ECUs. That way, if an ECU craps out on you in 10 years you have a back up. That is what I did, in part because I also have some custom hardware modifications (not on the NSX). Most of the effort is in the tuning. If the ECU has been installed, the cost of a second naked box may be quite reasonable.

I have link ecus which are nearly 20 years old still going strong in some early 90s JDM cars. Sure they eventually stop developing firmware for them, like all ecus. However the G4X family of ecus is so feature rich, it is capable of handling far more than anything you could throw at it from an old NSX...

Back