• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

AEM Infinity System

Attachments

Dave how do you plan to pass smog with this? Isn't your car an 02+ car?

It is an '04, so i will have to be creative in order to make it pass or re-install the OEM ECU and FIC when I need it to pass inspections. I am willing to make the trade if I can control the vanes with the ECU but that still has to be worked out.

Dave

The new AEM systems are supposed to work in tandem with the OEM ECU to maintain OBD2 functionality, no?

It is an '04, so i will have to be creative in order to make it pass or re-install the OEM ECU and FIC when I need it to pass inspections. I am willing to make the trade if I can control the vanes with the ECU but that still has to be worked out.

Dave
Dave, I was looking into this yesterday so your post was timely! The internet rumors pegs this at around $2300 MSRP. Does this normally include a plug-n-play harness? Do you think AEM will abandon the NSX as a platform especially the OBD1?

Also, I did read about the built in boost control. Is this a vacuum based or electronic trigger? I'm guessing it's just an electronic 12v ground trigger?

One more thing... IIRC the EMS can control TCS in our cars. What's your experience with the AEM here? Does it simply retard timing or cut throttle? I'm hoping to build in a "Street" vs. "Race" cutover switch. Street having a different tune and TCS on and potentially bleeding off some boost from the CTSC bypass valve. Race having it's own tune with TCS off and full boost, etc.

Last edited:
Dave, I was looking into this yesterday so your post was timely! The internet rumors pegs this at around $2300 MSRP. Does this normally include a plug-n-play harness? Do you think AEM will abandon the NSX as a platform especially the OBD1?

Also, I did read about the built in boost control. Is this a vacuum based or electronic trigger? I'm guessing it's just an electronic 12v ground trigger?

One more thing... IIRC the EMS can control TCS in our cars. What's your experience with the AEM here? Does it simply retard timing or cut throttle? I'm hoping to build in a "Street" vs. "Race" cutover switch. Street having a different tune and TCS on and potentially bleeding off some boost from the CTSC bypass valve. Race having it's own tune with TCS off and full boost, etc.

The new AEM ECU replace the OEM ECU as they now have DBW and can run the OEM DBW throttle in the new cars. The new ECU is really only going to be worth the investment for the OBDii DBW guys. The 91-94 cars will bennifit from the much faster processor and engine modeling found in the new ECU but this will be hard to justify at the price premium over the Series 2 ECU available now for the 91-94 cars.

The Infinity ECU's can deal with TCS in a multitude of ways, it is able to see individual wheels speed sensors if you wire them into the ECU, with this info the ECU can offer a true TCS and you can decide how it acts. as well as what sensors, timing, fuel, and trottle is triigered by a wheel spin event.

I have seen the I-10 listed for 2300.00 but have not seen prices for the I-6 if I had to guess I would say 2000.00 but you do not have to buy AFR controls just sensors, so there is a little cost savings there. From what I understand the harnesses will have to be built for now but someone will start to make them in a plug and play soon after the product is released.

It would take some doing but the I-10 can run a stepper motor and that can be used to control the CTSC bypass valve. you would then have programmable control over boost/bypass and could dial in boost based on RPM or any other sensor in the car if you wanted to. This is not a straight forward option as of yet but is possible if you wanted to invest the time. With the turbo cars the ECU will have electronic control of a boost solenoid.

I think that AEM's plan with the new ECU's is to make a universal ECU that can work on almost any car with the correct harness adapter. Having said that they say they are not getting rid of the Series 2 ECU's anytime soon.

Dave

Last edited:

AEM has discontinued the EMS for the 1991-94 NSX due to limited demand. However, we have a replacement available on our website for the 1991-94 as well as the later model NSXes.

The Infinity box does not come with a harness for the NSX, one would need to be purchased and wired. For your application, I don't think there would be much of an advantage to using the Infinity vs. existing Series 2 solutions (especially considering the cost).

Dave has some good ideas to use the boost valve however it would be a little more complicated than this as you'd need an additional vacuum source to open the valve (the valve opens when the engine is under vacuum condition - it will not be under vacuum while under load). I think it would be much easier to manage traction by way of the AEM traction system. The AEM system cuts power much softer, allowing better car control.

-- Chris

I would love to know if the new Infinity system can coexist with the stock ECU the way the Series 2 does, to maintain OBD2 connectivity.

I would love to know if the new Infinity system can coexist with the stock ECU the way the Series 2 does, to maintain OBD2 connectivity.

Yes, it could. However, keep in mind the OBD2 functionality is extremely limited, as a majority of the sensors and functions have been replaced / intercepted by the stand alone. It could also likely replace the ECU for control of the throttle body, but this would be a major undertaking to program, wire, and build the module for this control.

-- Chris

As soon as I get my hands on an Infinity box rest assured They will be available for all years of the nsx and s2000. This box has been in the workings for some time. This Infinity ECU will take standalone engine management to the OE(original equipment) level that is offered in new cars today. The safety features alone will be outstanding. Series 2 AEM EMS is still an awesome management system is by far my favorite.

Yes, it could. However, keep in mind the OBD2 functionality is extremely limited, as a majority of the sensors and functions have been replaced / intercepted by the stand alone. It could also likely replace the ECU for control of the throttle body, but this would be a major undertaking to program, wire, and build the module for this control.

-- Chris

Chris my thoughts for the CTSC bypass would be to use the Stepper Motor Driver in the I-10 along with a DC stepper motor and open and close the bypass electronically and not use the vacuum actuated controller that is there now. Not sure if the stepper could move quick enough or have enough TQ to control the valve but that is the idea anyway.

I was under the impression based on my conversations with AEM at PRI that the I-10 has two DBW drivers and can control the Honda, Ford, or GM DBW throttles natively. Once you defined open and closed possitions the DBW would follow the throttle possition sensor on the pedal unless the ECU was programmed to trim that DBW output like any other trim can be applied to that device from any sensor input. My info could be wrong so maybe Devin will help with more info.

Dave

Back