• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Aftermarket center console owners

I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket console for a new DIN sized head unit but have a question.
What have you done concerning the a/c aspirator fan mounted behind the vents in front of the park brake?
Do you still have it hooked up? If so, what method did you use to attach it to the console? Glue, velcro, fabricate something else?
I am about to pull the trigger on doing this but need some advice on what I can do to keep everything working right.
TIA

when you say "after-market" - do you mean SOS? My understanding (not directly from SOS) is that they are no longer supplying full replacement, just the cover plate?
However the answer is the same - retain the OEM components for the respirator fan - it should attach per the supplied hardware. If I recall it actually attaches to the ash-tray, not directly to the console (I need to verify this but from memory that's what I recall)
The only thing I "missed" with the SOS was the the "coin" tray"
The one aspect I would be honest with re the SOS console is that you need to epoxy/glue some teflon stanchions to mount the ash-tray / shift boot which is a PITA - I found that you assemble those parts to the stanchions first, the line them up in place, clamp & glue the stanchions to the console. Not ideal but that's how it works & ultimately effective I guess.

It mounts to the back side of the console. I made a wood MDF adapter, then siliconed it to the back of the console then siliconed the fan to that. Worked great! I also put a washer to fit inside the vent opening to keep the cloth in place.

Wow, I completely forgot about the mounting of the shift boot on the new console. Thanks for pointing that out.
Did you have to drill holes or slots for the fan to work correctly?
I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the time/money/hassle of ditching the OEM head unit in favor of a Sony unit that I want.....hmm

92NSX said:
Wow, I completely forgot about the mounting of the shift boot on the new console. Thanks for pointing that out.
Did you have to drill holes or slots for the fan to work correctly?
I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the time/money/hassle of ditching the OEM head unit in favor of a Sony unit that I want.....hmm

The console should come with a black plastic plug for air to get to the fan.

It is not that hard to do it. AND it is WELL worth the effort. The hardest thing is to lay out to cut for the new. The shift boot is easy to do. Once you are all done and painted and let the paint cure. Turn the unit upside down, put on top of something so the shift boot will hang free. Use black silicone to set it. And you are done! :biggrin:

Don't forget DALI sells consoles too, and covers :biggrin:

zetoolman said:
This company has a console for $100 :eek:

http://www.downforce.biz/nsx/nsxnsx.htm

Just click on interior.

YUP....Peter is cool too...too bad that they are not in stock right now..I will be ordering the Air Intake and the Center Console from them very soon. :biggrin:

Mike

For the SOS console they come with plastic hollow dowels that you need to afix to the console so you can mount the shift boot and ashtray assembly with aspirator fan. Mounting all these plastic mounts took me a long time since you have to get the angles right. Anyway, if you opt for the ash tray delete (Which I ended up covering up my ash tray part) what you can do is locate a used ash tray assembly like I did, cut it up enough so it fits behind the console even with the deteted ash tray section, and since the aspirator fan mounts to this assebly it will be a perfect fit.

Back