• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Air filter options

Well I was thinking K&N b/c of the ability to clean it. You don't think you'll feel a little seat of the pants kick on acelleration?

dnyhof said:
Well I was thinking K&N b/c of the ability to clean it. You don't think you'll feel a little seat of the pants kick on acelleration?
I didn't, when I put one on mine. The only thing I noticed was a bit of a whoosh sound.

Mine was a K&N cone filter. I might still have it in my basement. If you want it, it's yours (and I can bring it to one of our events, if you like).

nsxtasy said:
I didn't, when I put one on mine. The only thing I noticed was a bit of a whoosh sound.

Mine was a K&N cone filter. I might still have it in my basement. If you want it, it's yours (and I can bring it to one of our events, if you like).

Thanks, but I want to keep the air box in place, comparing prices the k&n is a few bucks more than an oem and you can wash it and reuse, so I'm prolly gonna go that route.

nsxhk said:
You can always fit a K&N cone inside the oem air box.

That's interesting..... I didn't think they did that? I thought that the K&N filter for the OEM Box was a panel filter? :confused:

I know that they make a cone filter conversion kit for the NSX but that requires the removal of the OEM Box...

Last edited:
AU_NSX said:
That's interesting..... I didn't think they did that? I thought that the K&N filter for the OEM Box was a panel filter? :confused:

I know that they make a cone filter conversion kit for the NSX but that requires the remaoval of the OEM Box...
That's correct. The cone filter I was using for a while is the latter.

I agree with NSXTASY that you won't benefit from an air filter upgrade, except for the re-usability and the cool air whoosh sound, if you consider those benefits. You can probably *measure* a power increase but on a car as quick/fast as the NSX, you can't *feel* 1 or 1.5 HP differences. You've got to do a lot of airflow mods (TB, cams, porting, etc.) before the air filter/box becomes the bottleneck.

J

nsxhk said:
Have a custom pipe made.... stick it inside the air box.... attach the air filter cone to the pipe.... voila :)

Hi Henry,

Very interested in this option. Do you have any pic showing the custom pipe? I'd imagine that it should be a fairly simple device.

I was going to get a GruppeM (big mouth) intake and get a custom connector to link the opening directly to the side vent, until I found out that the connector pipe is $300. :eek:

Currently, I'm using the Cantrell AIS and a RAMFX 3 stage foam filter in the factory air box. The cleaning process for the foam filter is very messy and a hassle.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. It's quite straight forward really.

Just measure the diameter of the air box outlet. Go to a muffler shop or hardware store and buy a 5" long pipe. After fitting the pipe inside the air box securely, bring the air box with the pipe inside to a K&N dealer and ask for a angled cone filter that'll fit inside the box. If I'm not mistaken, I used a 7" tapered cone K&N.

Henry.

nsxhk said:
Just measure the diameter of the air box outlet. Go to a muffler shop or hardware store and buy a 5" long pipe. After fitting the pipe inside the air box securely, bring the air box with the pipe inside to a K&N dealer and ask for a angled cone filter that'll fit inside the box. If I'm not mistaken, I used a 7" tapered cone K&N.

What a good idea Henry! :smile:

Have you left the OEM intake as well or have you put on a side intake like the Dali Super Sucker or Cantrel CAI?

I went for the complete Dali CF intake w/Apexi cone filter... Sounds great through the CF Dali Super Sucker side intake! :biggrin:

But I will agree that performance gains from an aftermarket intake are negligible....... But the SOUND..... AWESOME!

After hearing what a difference just the K&N panel filter made to the OEM box, I just had to get the whole CF intake thing happening.... :biggrin: !

BTW, the Dali CF intake (which I believe is made by Procar) is impecable quality and highly recommended!

Back