• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Airbag question, soon to buy a NSX

My concern is if the dash airbag in front of the passenger can be removed. I have a six year old son and this might keep from buying NSXs equipped with passenger airbag.

By the way I have my 2010 GT3 for sale, street driven miles.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My concern is if the dash airbag in front of the passenger can be removed. I have a six year old son and this might keep from buying NSXs equipped with passenger airbag.

By the way I have my 2010 GT3 for sale, street driven miles.

I'm confused...
From your signature, you already have a '92 NSX?
That should not have a passenger airbag...

He has two NSXs, plus all those other glorious cars.

The manual will tell you to put the seat all the way back and a child will be beyond the reach of the airbag. Trusting that is another question. But trusting that the deactivation works is yet another question. And what if it goes off unnecessary and hits someone? What if it fails to go off when needed?

All things to consider.

When I was exploring the options with the same issue, I found that those who were qualified to do the work were reluctant and the required government approvals were likely going to be a huge pita.

May be different where you are

I recall you can disable it via a switch, i'd need to take a look in the manual though,

Permanently disabling it? easy! just pull out the the cable in the back of the airbag, plug it back in when you sell the car or when he's old enhough
If you want i can mail you instructions.

Last edited:
I had a passenger airbag disable switch installed in my 2002 so i could take the kid in front facing car seat. You have to apply for NHTSA approval and then have it installed by one of their registered Airbag service companies. If i recall it took ~2 weeks to get the approval paperwork.

You'll also want a car seat tether bolt for the back wall. Ordered that from dealer (10 bucks or so). Tether bolt: Part # 82410-SE3-C01

All info here: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests

It was my understanding that the only risk posed by an airbag was with a rear facing child seat in the passenger seat. With a six year old in a booster seat I don't think you'd have any problem with the airbag as long as the child was belted in and the seat was all the way back.

He has two NSXs, plus all those other glorious cars.

The manual will tell you to put the seat all the way back and a child will be beyond the reach of the airbag. Trusting that is another question. But trusting that the deactivation works is yet another question. And what if it goes off unnecessary and hits someone? What if it fails to go off when needed?

All things to consider.

When I was exploring the options with the same issue, I found that those who were qualified to do the work were reluctant and the required government approvals were likely going to be a huge pita.

May be different where you are
Holy moly, have not heard from this guy in ages. Welcome back. :smile:

Back