• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alb abs bleed

I decided to bleed my ABS system...it had been disconnected because the pump would run often when the ABS system was rarely engaged. Pulled fluid from the reservoir and replaced it with new....engaged the ABS motor/pump but it will not pull fluid from the reservoir...motor/pump runs but sounds like its not building any pressure and as I said won't pull fluid from reservoir...any ideas???

One of the valves is stuck open. You can use the Dano procedure to cycle the valves an hopefully get then to seal. Or you can use the simple drive and stomp method but since your pump is not building pressure you will only have 90 seconds before the system shuts down. Then you will have to shut down and restart to reset for another 90 seconds of drive and stomp. A wet parking lot or gravel road is preferred location for this.

^
Cycle the valves until you find the one that's stuck and cycle it as many times as it takes until it holds pressure. If it won't, than most likely the O-ring is shot and either a rebuild or replacement system from SOS is the way to go. Someone here was puting together a rebuild kit for these so search here (I think it was on the DIY forum) for the thread. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I had a similar issue for a while when the ABS pump would time out (120 sec. I believe). Went to a gravel road and did a few stomps and it fixed itself. Pump is still noisy but at least it doesn't start up and run for 2 mins every time I want to go somewhere.

Thanks guys...I'm going to cycle the solenoids the Dano method and see what happens...may have to wait till next weekend but I'll keep you posted...

once it's fixed,stomp on the brakes and try to lock them up to cycle the abs about once a month,and it will help prevent problems in the future.as others said,it's easier on gravel or wet roads,but i don't drive on those,so you can do it on dry pavement,but you've got to really stomp them hard.if you've done it hard enough you'll hear the pump and feel some vibration in the pedal.

OK...so I made the rig to cycle the solenoids...all four seemed to click the same...ran the pump but still no fluid leaving the reservoir...also no fluid came back to the reservoir as described during the solenoid cycling...question: does there have to be pressure in the system to begin with for all of this to work? If so is there a procedure to prime the pump if dry? I'm stuck :-(

I do not see any movement in the reservoir while running the pump however I do feel a slight, very slight, pulse when I put my finger over the port at the bottom if the reservoir...I guess I still have a stuck valve...thanks!!!

Well I've tried it all and still no pressure...anyone know if the ALB pump can fail independant of the ALB motor? Anyway to tell? Sound? Test? I'm at a loss...

Try and PM member warrenw. He was putting together some ABS rebuild kits, and he has rebuilt his, so he might know what's going on with yours. Good luck!

Does the pump ever start to slow down (like it's bogging) after you run it for a while? I don't get a huge drop in fluid level either, but I can hear the motor start to bog down which indicates pressure is building up.

@pgilliam1...Thanks I will try him.

@d.n...no it just runs...fairly quiet...never slowing or building pressure...that's why I was wondering if anyone had experience with the pump part as opposed to the motor half???...thanks!!!

Back