• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All motor NSX.

AU- The US as usual go on their own system. We follow japan and Europe when it comes to RON ratings..

Different states have different levels of "premium". Some states, like Missouri, only sell up to 91 @ the pumps as premium(though there may be exceptions of which I am not aware).

"Premium Gasoline: Gasoline having an antiknock index, i.e., octane rating, greater than 90. Note: Octane requirements may vary by altitude."

Information courtesy of U.S. Dept of Energy, Energy Information Administration, and the Associated Press, Oct. 22, 1996

there is an NSX in japan by one of their tuners, they have a running nsx giving out 420hp n/a and thats a track engine, it is not reliable...your idea is to get 475hp from a 3.2L v6 engine...and no ITB's...this idea was dead before it started... even if for some strange reason you do hit those numbers, your engine will not last long. There is a 350z owner from my350z.com who's @ 395rwhp with his 3.5L engine...and the only thing he has left to do is ITB if he wants too. JGTC used to run a 3.2L 480hp engine...it lasted just 1 race...

good luck but you wasting your money...if you go with a turbo platform to get the 500hp, and do it correctly, it will last a very long time(FX-engineering). Powertec has a 3.0L-v8 unit reving 10,000rpm, making 450hp and they only use it for track racing only...

Eh hem....so anyway, about this motor. :D Does anyone know if Barnman ever did take a donor? Has anyone actually asked if this project is going down? I doubt he is checking the forums here unless he is still gauging interest in his little project, so I'm guessing directing any questions towards him in this thread is a big waste of time. I just want to know if he is going ahead with the project or if it's on hold. Who is on the inside here?

Re: octane...

Tom239 said:
Octane rating can be measured in different ways. Octane numbers in the
USA are (RON + MON) / 2 and are usually lower than the RON for the same fuel.
See the gasoline FAQ for more info.

Thanks guys... That has definetly cleared things up for me... :smile:

Hey guys, look! It's a guy who knows everything about building engines based off of one engine that he heard about in Japan and another one that he saw on a website somewhere. Let's all take some time and thank him for his expertise. :rolleyes:

TopEnd said:
there is an NSX in japan by one of their tuners, they have a running nsx giving out 420hp n/a and thats a track engine, it is not reliable...your idea is to get 475hp from a 3.2L v6 engine...and no ITB's...this idea was dead before it started... even if for some strange reason you do hit those numbers, your engine will not last long. There is a 350z owner from my350z.com who's @ 395rwhp with his 3.5L engine...and the only thing he has left to do is ITB if he wants too. JGTC used to run a 3.2L 480hp engine...it lasted just 1 race...

good luck but you wasting your money...if you go with a turbo platform to get the 500hp, and do it correctly, it will last a very long time(FX-engineering). Powertec has a 3.0L-v8 unit reving 10,000rpm, making 450hp and they only use it for track racing only...

Show me 1 reliable 3.2L N/A 500hp engine...

White92 said:
Hey guys, look! It's a guy who knows everything about building engines based off of one engine that he heard about in Japan and another one that he saw on a website somewhere. Let's all take some time and thank him for his expertise. :rolleyes:

TopEnd said:
Show me 1 reliable 3.2L N/A 500hp engine...

Barn never said that it would be 500. He said it "may hit 500" But he's shooting for a little less. I just don't think an engine in Japan that you heard about should be compared to what Barn is wanting to do here. And I still don't know what a 350Z engine has anything to do with an NSX engine.

Even if he did hit 500hp, that's 156 per liter. The B series guys have been doing this plus some for years. And yes they are very reliable running on pump gas. It's an everyday occurance. The B series engines are everywhere, and have been around a long time. There are tons of parts for them. The C30 and C32 aren't as plentiful and are of course more expensive to mod.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He's already said that if his goals aren't reached or this whole project won't work out, he'll be the first to admit it. Let's chear him on.

Chear him on? to what, wasting his money?
Yes he can hit 470 or 500hp with a 3.2L but the reliability will be that of a race motor.

No, not for wasting his money. Still though, it is HIS money. Even if he fails miserably at this, maybe he found several ways not to accomplish this. I think it was Einstein who said something like, I never failed at anything. I just found lots of ways not to do something. I know I butchered that quote, but you get the idea.

TopEnd said:

I want my 15 seconds back. Nice informative, factual post. :confused:

AU_NSX said:
Mark are you kidding? 91 Octane? Who still uses 91 octane??? :confused: If you are still using 91 octane, I would say your not too worried about hp or performance... In fact you are even going against what Honda tell you to run their stock motor on... "PREMIUM ONLY"
Your owner's manual recommends using 91 octane or higher.

White92 said:
We don't even get 87 in my area. We get 85, 88 and 91.
High-altitude areas such as the Rocky Mountain states sell fuel of lower octane, because the air is thinner and the cars don't need as much octane.

nsxtasy said:
To those who replied with some disdain to SPA_S2000's post... let's all chill. It's clear from his post that he was not familiar with Barn Man's reputation as one of the top NSX mechanics in the country, and that he was just raising a possible point to make sure it was covered. I'm sure he intended no disrespect for Barn Man's background; he was just not familiar with it.

If you are referring to me, I think you've got it wrong.

SPA's question was a legitimate one, and I feel I answered it honestly and directly. I am sure everyone is a little paranoid of an "NSX Modified style" fly-by-night operation. For that reason, I am excited to have a person of Barney's ethics and talent in our community. Perhaps you are mistaking that enthusiasm for distain of SPA?

White92 said:
Even if he did hit 500hp, that's 156 per liter. The B series guys have been doing this plus some for years. And yes they are very reliable running on pump gas. It's an everyday occurance. .

I would like to see an example of this. A World Challenge motor only make about 235 whp. And it won't last even half a season racing! That is with a B18C sleved to 2.0L motor.

I'm with Top End that it is impossible task. However, I'm not as harsh as TopEnd, and would actually commend BarnMan of trying. I actually would like to see him succeed and proved me wrong.

A Comptech built NSx engine only dynoed at 385 HP. That is with high compression and running 100 octane. And Comptech is a high end engine shop who built Juan Pablo Montoya winning Indy 500 cars among others. They are the ones who built Tripoint Mazda engine that been terrorizing World Challenge as well.

I'm a little sceptical as well. I've worked in racing for a while now alongside a number of World class engine builders.
We ran a 3.4 Nissan VQ30 (Stock Block v6)built by IES in the UK they managed to get 480HP out of it but needed 9500Rpm 13.5-1 Compression, ITB's & exotic materials everywhere to make it. It also never made the 2500mile rebuild interval. These same guys build the best Nissan engines in the BTCC with 325HP out of a 2ltr engine at 9500RPM They too had to be rebuilt after each race.

I can't see this engine being streetable & reliable as a daily driver if Barnman does acheive is goal.
Also with NA engines generally high HP is a function of Engine Speed so I 'm guessing more RPM is going to be needed at least another 1500RPM & this puts more stress on Components meaning rebuilds more often.

For an Example Our Champcar Engines(2.6ltr make 750HP(12,000rpm) & have to be rebuilt every 1200miles. Our Transam Engines 4ltr-580HP(9000rpm) -700miles, 6ltr 750HP(9000rpm) - 700miles. Judd V10 4Ltr 720hp(12000rpm)- 2000miles, Judd V8 3.4ltr 520HP(12000rpm)-2000miles. You can see where I'm going with this.

Back