• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Aluminum pedals

I completely dig this look and want to go with it for cosmetic reasons. I am curious though about some of the practical implications of the various choices and am hoping that some more experienced owners can give me some feedback on what the various sets feel like.

The options appear to be:
Autovation_pedals.jpg

While I am all in favor of getting my car out on the track to learn how to drive the car better and simply for the experience, I am more of a "cruising" kind of driver than a track driver. The car's main purpose is fun road trips with the wife, so I am not sure I will ever master the heel/toe driving technique and am not really concerned about that.

Visually, I am leaning towards the competition and think that the grid series may just wear down my shoes on long drives. Am I missing some key benefit though?

Thanks!

I got the NSX-R pedals but haven't installed yet. They are pricey but i think they look better then those and seem to have more rubber for traction.

Mike

6b293915.jpg

what brand are those,and why have you excluded the other offerings?

what brand are those,and why have you excluded the other offerings?

Picture is from both Science of Speed & Autovation and seemed like a "standard" set, which is why I was looking at them. With the price around $100, seemed like a reasonable fun upgrade.

Not excluding any other offerings though if other offerings make more sense. In the case of NSX-R parts though, there tends to be a pretty steep premium involved. If I was a real performance driver, I might be able to justify the cost, but alas I am a simple, novice driver.

I had the Autovation Grid series and really liked them but for some reason the gas pedal couldn't stay on properly. I followed instructions and drilled them into the oem pedal through the oem plastic cover (which in turn is covered by the rubber cover). Over time the gas pedal kept slipping loose. The only way to fix that was to use longer screws than was provided and drill them deeper through the plastic and into the metal.

I have the Grid Series, and Like them alot. there is plenty of grip with soft sole shoes...Never worn hard sole shoes when driving the car since I have had the pedals.

The Competition series from AutoVation is great for the track with rubber/no-leather sole shoes. I have them and they work. For street driving, they are fine too; but id you have a well weathered or new leather sole shoes, there is a tendency for your sole to occasionally slip over the pedal - especially the brake pedal as you heel/toe.

Thanks all for the feedback, I appreciate the insight of people who have had experience with the products, nothing is more frustrating that shopping for something fun and then having it be a dud when it arrives.

Over time the gas pedal kept slipping loose. The only way to fix that was to use longer screws than was provided and drill them deeper through the plastic and into the metal.
Hmm - how reversible is this? Would you need to purchase a whole new set of pedals if you wanted to go back to the non-aluminum?

The NSX-R pedals are pretty slick looking, but I saw in a few posts that they are a bit challenging to install. While I won't shy away from a challenge, I am not terribly good with tools. I assume you need to pop the plate off of the gas pedal and put it on your existing one - I wouldn't want to mess that up and have a gas pedal incorrectly configured (honestly officer, my gas pedal was stuck, I didn't mean to be going 140 MPH!)

Plenty of food for thought!

Do you have to drill into your brake and clutch pedal to install the NSX-R set? Is that how they do it from the factory?

The accelerator looks like a complete swap.

I have the NSX r pedals the clutch and brake are easy to do just take off the rubber bits then drill three holes and rivet on with the ones supplied. Easy.
The accelerator pedal I found easier to just cut it off and weld it on to my old one then paint it

Is the nsxr gas pedal(the whole lever mechanism) a direct swap of the oem gas pedal without modification?

Last edited:
Is the nsxr gas pedal(the whole lever mechanism) a direct swap of the oem gas pedal without modification?

No. The NSX-R accelerator pedal arm will not fit on a LHD car without extensive modification as it is made for a RHD NSX. As Louis (AdvansCPAP) has shown in the post above yours, just drill out the rivets on the NSX-R accelerator pedal cover, cut the corner of the OEM LHD pedal to match the contour of the NSX-R, fit the new pedal cover over the OEM pedal, mark the holes, drill with the appropriate bit (1/8 in the case of the OEM black Honda rivets) and pop in the rivets.

Toss the NSX-R pedal arm in the scrap metal pile and you are done. To be honest, I can't tell much difference in the feel of the accelerator pedal but I really can on the clutch & brake pedals due to the rubber nibs. The swap is a little pricey but worth it, IMHO.

Last edited:
I must be missing something in here:rolleyes:

Why would one go through the trouble of putting the NSX-R pedal (cutting or welding) when AutoVation's pedals are superior in functionality especially when it comes to the gas pedal:confused:

Back