• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Andaro paint option question

For NSXs with the Andaro paint option (e.g. Valencia and Nouvelle)... are independent body shops capable of replicating the painting process?

Let's say that a Valencia red NSX gets into a minor accident and the quarter panel has to be repainted, can the paint be matched perfectly? Or can you purchase factory-painted body panels from Acura directly?

I was watching this video, and the entire process (the paint thickness of Andaro) was incredible... but I wondered if finding the proper body shop to replicate the work would be challenging...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/what-makes-the-acura-nsxs-6000-andaro-paint-so-special/

For NSXs with the Andaro paint option (e.g. Valencia and Nouvelle)... are independent body shops capable of replicating the painting process?

Let's say that a Valencia red NSX gets into a minor accident and the quarter panel has to be repainted, can the paint be matched perfectly? Or can you purchase factory-painted body panels from Acura directly?

I was watching this video, and the entire process (the paint thickness of Andaro) was incredible... but I wondered if finding the proper body shop to replicate the work would be challenging...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/what-makes-the-acura-nsxs-6000-andaro-paint-so-special/

Great question and awesome bumping into you the other day, lol. What a small, small world.

I know if the car is in a substantial collision, it is required to go back to Ohio. In regards to generic paint work, part of being an authorized NSX retailer was you needed an "approved" body shop to direct clients to. I'm sure the NSX concierge could better assist in the event you needed paint work.

Great question and awesome bumping into you the other day, lol. What a small, small world.

I know if the car is in a substantial collision, it is required to go back to Ohio. In regards to generic paint work, part of being an authorized NSX retailer was you needed an "approved" body shop to direct clients to. I'm sure the NSX concierge could better assist in the event you needed paint work.

Thank you so much, and it was so great reconnecting with you as well!

Got it - it's assuring to hear that it's required to go back to OH in a substantial collision. Will continue looking into it!

I believe a good shop can in fact match the paint. It is a combo of clear and tinted clear. What is always a challenge is curing the paint similar to how factory processes. Generally never as good as original. Having said that I love the Nouvelle Blue on my car. It is the best paint job I have ever had on a car.

I believe a good shop can in fact match the paint. It is a combo of clear and tinted clear. What is always a challenge is curing the paint similar to how factory processes. Generally never as good as original. Having said that I love the Nouvelle Blue on my car. It is the best paint job I have ever had on a car.

Thank you. It's comforting to hear that!

Thank you so much, and it was so great reconnecting with you as well!

Got it - it's assuring to hear that it's required to go back to OH in a substantial collision. Will continue looking into it!

It doesn't have to go back to factory if there is severe damage. I know of two that were repaired by very capable independent body shops.

The Acura rep for NSX NC1 collision shop selection was at my shop just before I sold. He told me if a car had any frame damage it would have to go back to Ohio. I asked him to show me the frame and he began to stumble and said he meant uni-body damage. I told him unless it was just a mild scuff the vehicle would have some uni-body damage and would have to be sent back to Ohio. I also told him when they get a tough one and can't figure it out to let me know and I'll come out and help them get it right.:biggrin:

Where's the damn like button on Prime, still can't find it!!! ;-)

Thanks for the explanation Joe. I guess the shop I know here in Florida doesn’t have a problem with the costs. They are certified by all the major supercar manufacturers. I can certainly see how this would a burden for the shops like yours.

At least you are enjoying retirement.

You mentioned they do not want shops to repair unibody frames. That makes a lot of sense given the frame integrity is based upon all the pieces tied together. In fact I am surprised how many shops repair unibody components. The initial crash test would no longer be applicable.

I think the reply was more about if the unibody is repaired, will the car have the same level of structural integrity as it did when it left the factory.

Back to the paint, if you have a great painter where you live and the car is prepped correctly, no reason you can't get a great result.

The paint that would make me nervous about replicating is Lexus structural blue. It's a multi-step process to create at the factory.

For body shop repairs, they provide pre-mixed paint in a single container.

I think the reply was more about if the unibody is repaired, will the car have the same level of structural integrity as it did when it left the factory.

That's what I understood as well.

Back to the paint, if you have a great painter where you live and the car is prepped correctly, no reason you can't get a great result.

The paint that would make me nervous about replicating is Lexus structural blue. It's a multi-step process to create at the factory.

For body shop repairs, they provide pre-mixed paint in a single container.

Isn't the issue right now the massive, world-wide paint shortage?

Plastidip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure but the problem is that the data access as in data sheets showing the dimensions in xyz format has changed.

Manufacturers somehow are able to restrict the data access one would need. They, Vince's, used Car-O-Liner Vision which is 3D (xyz) but I found something has changed since I sold.The chassis data for some aluminum cars like Jaguar, Mercedes and NSX NC1 are restricted to those who have certification, a license to get the data. That's on top of the license and subscription you paid for the software. That's a license on a license.
The shop has to purchase the license from the manufacturers and it is expensive and only a year term at a time. For Acura NC1 they required that you have Jaguar or Mercedes aluminum certification to be considered. The license can be from 30-55k per brand per year and require that you have certain equipment. The stinker is the chassis machine they want you to have. A Cellette is what they require which is in my opinion a lesser bench. Shops I knew that had one never used it. They used the other racks they had which are better and easier to use. The turn key to this all is over 150k for the first year and then they still did not want you to do unibody(frame?) repairs. It made no sense to me. Certifications in aluminum and welding and I-Car were not accepted. That was another factor in my decision to pack it in. The manufacturer wants a piece of the action. They all offering certifications and the shop must pay to repair their cars. Bye Bye. Not me.

The OEMs wish all cars were used like Dixie cups - once they are crumpled you throw them away. The insurance companies, of course, look at it differently. It is like Velociraptor and T-Rex in an epic battle and yes it is great to be retired and amused by the whole thing instead of living it.

Back