• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Daisy Imports satisfied customer

First, I want to mention Steve Gooding. I met Steve at the NSXPO in 2013 in Raleigh after a tech session on timing belt changes. I told him of my search for the right NSX, and he said to give him a ring when I found a prospect. The idea of having a premier mechanic in my backyard made me that much more excited to join the NSX family. Steve was also a lot of fun to talk to. I said goodbye to him Sunday morning as we were having breakfast with a gentleman who had damaged his car during the weekend. Steve was brainstorming about what he could do to help fix the car and get it back home. Steve died of a heart attack days later.

My passion dropped for a while, because I thought of Steve every time I thought of an NSX. I began searching in earnest about a year later. In 2015, I found the one. It was in Maryland, so I looked on the forum to find someone that would do a Pre-Purchase Inspection. Daisy Imports was about 45 minutes away, so I gave them a call and spoke with Ben. That was the beginning of the wonderful experience I have had with my NSX.

Ben looked over the car and gave me a list of what needed to be addressed. It included:

1. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, front crank seal, cam seals (4) and cam end plugs, alternator belt, A/C belt and repack tensioner pulley, valve adjustment with new cover gaskets sets

2. Replace all hoses, coolant tank, thermostat and gasket, coolant and TW sensor

3. Replace clutch master, slave cylinders and hose, bleed system with DOT 4 hd brake fluid

4. Replace weak trunk struts

5. Replace negative battery cable with one custom made by Ben.

6. Repair & replace both axles, replace old leaking CV boots and trans seals and fluid

7. Repair & replace fuel injectors. Send to RC Engineering for cleaning and calibration. New fuel filter and replace two fuel lines.

8 Upgrade to Stainless steel brake lines

9. Replace both inner front tie rods and alignment

10. New OEM wiper blades

11. Replace leaking brake master cylinder and inspect booster for damage, Repaint booster to look like new , Full system bleed

12. Repair & replace hot water valve, replace hoses and clamps

13. Newer radio

14. Send CCU Climate control to Brain K for a R&R

15. Install New speaker grilles

16. Replace Cracked Dash Vent panel

17. Main Relay

I asked Ben to do everything he felt needed to be done. We spent the next few weeks talking on the phone about boxes of parts and how the work was progressing. One of the many things that impressed me was how much thought Ben put into certain issues. He has certain things he likes to do because it makes the car better (He fabricates his own negative battery cable.) He has an appreciation for detail.

When the car was finally ready, a friend and I drove up to MD to visit Ben and my NSX. It was a great experience that brings a smile to my face. Not only did I find a car that is incredible, I made a new friend. Ben reminds me a lot of Steve, and that is high praise. I would never have imagined that I could meet two NSX mechanics of their caliber. It may have something to do with the car, because the owners I have met have been impressive as well.

I recommend Ben to anyone who owns an NSX. He is the only mechanic who will touch mine.

Back