• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another reason I'll never step foot in Texas

Wtf!!

I have never heard of such a thing. I am going to be pissed off all day now. This is the kind of thing that creates vigilantes. I probably go to the package store, pick up a bottle of vodka, drive the car safely to those people's house. Drink the bottle and plow through there living room...

Judge is a fool.

Kid should be in jail...for a LONG time.

I personally fail to see how the parents should be held accountable. I've seen plenty of excellent parents with sh*tty kids.

Don't blame it on Texas my friend. I'm born and raised here. Myself and every other Texan feel like you. Judge should be removed, 16 YO should be tried as an adult. If it were up to me, he'd never leave prison.

Mind Boggleing!! I'm sure the Dad will pay for it in civil court. His son was driving his company F350 pick up when this happenned. The dumb kid killed 4 and seriously injured 2 on his own friends. I'm sure the Lawyers will go after the company so the parents will definetly pay for it. Personally - I would prefer that the kid paid for it with 10+ years of Jail.

I'm having a hard time understanding how a boy who has been given everything he has ever wanted isn't responsible for his own actions? He wanted the beer, he (stole) then drank the beer. Then ruined and ended other people's lives.

It's not his fault? I'm sorry, but being spoiled rotten doesn't make you forget DUI is illegal, does it?

I'm no legal expert, but this seems like the spirit of justice has been violated. Erg.
I won't hold it against Texas though, this is the judge's burden now.

Lucas

Don't blame it on Texas my friend. I'm born and raised here. Myself and every other Texan feel like you. Judge should be removed, 16 YO should be tried as an adult. If it were up to me, he'd never leave prison.

Texas is the State that I respect the most. This case is certainly not representative of their prides and values. The judge needs to be removed. I live in California for the weather only.
Steve

Last edited:
Texas has no monopoly on these kind of verdicts; it happens nationwide. Texas is one of the more strict states on drinking and driving related incidents though it obviously varies by county.

I'd like to see the list of donors that got this judge elected. It wouldn't surprise me to see daddy's name or linked to a donor on there. I believe that carma goes around and that kid will violate his probation and end up in the slammer sometime in the next 10 years. Still too light of a sentence. And now there is presidence for that type of legal defense. Oh, and I read somewhere that Texas has one of the highest death rates due to drunk driving in the nation. What a terrible loss of life.

he killed 4 cuz he was drunk he should be treated like an adult. 10 years for each life ( not concurrent either ) after ten he works on the new one.

having money to get you out of jail card isn't fair. to us middleclass guys

I've been trying to catch Affluenza all my life.

I think there was a story years ago when a husband killed the wife and her lover with a 10 gauge slug while the lover was on top of her buried deep and got probation.
Judge said that it was temporary insanity.

Montana I believe.

To me, although a stretch, I could at least see where it could do that.

What this kid did and got away with is insane. And here in Montana (just look on the Billings Gazette website every couple weeks) people are let off and walk on their 12th, 13th and 14th DUI, regularly - yet a guy with an 1/8th of weed is treated like a criminal when he's not harming anyone but himself. I don't even smoke weed, but don't see how any of it makes ANY sense.

I think this kid should be in a juvenile detention facility until he is 18 and then be sent to the big boy prison, personally.

To an extent this reminds me of a situation when I was in High School. One of the guys I knew (and partied with) ended up crashing his truck and killing a girl we went to school with. Although in that instance, she was drinking too and got in the truck with him and it wasn't a COMPLETELY innocent bystander. He got something like 2 years and 10 yrs probation, however her parents knew him, knew their daughter was out drinking and although they were devastated they fought for it not to ruin his life as well, because they understood it took the both of them to be in that situation.

There is nothing that gets to the core of me more than the fear of losing one of my children/wife. My condolences to the families who've lost theirs.

I'd like to see the list of donors that got this judge elected. It wouldn't surprise me to see daddy's name or linked to a donor on there. I believe that carma goes around and that kid will violate his probation and end up in the slammer sometime in the next 10 years. Still too light of a sentence. And now there is presidence for that type of legal defense. Oh, and I read somewhere that Texas has one of the highest death rates due to drunk driving in the nation. What a terrible loss of life.

Karma will come back around eventually, but the question at hand is at what expense or others expenses.

Here's one point "we" may have won: What are the chances of this kid growing up completely emotionally level and normal and not have any serious mental health issues or real success in life? Yep....not much.

I feel bad when I forget to buy people cards or cut people off accidentally. This kid KILLED 4 innocent people. Prison--schmison as the old saying goes, this kid sentenced himself to a life of emotional black holes, he will never be normal or happy, he's as good as broken on the inside.

Court decisions aren't the only means of justice. I feel there is much more to "justice" than something that can be handed out by mere mankind. ...and I am not talking about God.

I believe Lostbuckeye is spot on. This kids parents had to have made some contribution to the judge. The verdict is atypical for Texas. Additionally, I regularly get irritated by these so called psychologists who come up with the craziest of explanations for people's behavior. Honestly, the healthcare provider that labelled this dumb a$$ as having affluenza is a total moron & should have his/her license revoked.

As for money getting people out of jail or evade the court system, I recall a few years ago here in MN where a former DFL state representative was caught attempting to outrun police while going the wrong way down a major highway at night! The traffic cameras captured the entire incident. This guy got a $180 fine and trivial probation. He was trying to evade the police in his Lexus LS430 while his blood alcohol content was a few times over the state limit.

Another reason I'll never step foot in Texas

And we here in Texas appreciate you NOT stepping foot in our State...so a big Texas Thank You.
You will not be missed.

You can't just catch affluenza from another person. Affluenza is genetic. If your parents ain't rich, you ain't got no affluenza.

Maybe. And there is a cure for the deadly affluenza disease here in Tx. But what would worry me is the side effects of the vaccine that you can only get in Huntsville, TX.

Back