• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another reminder that carfax is just one buying tool

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118597

As been stated many times before a 'clean carfax' is just one tool in the buying experience. Accel Junky did a TON of research past just a carfax, etc., and still got tagged by a dishonest seller. The sellers ebay ad had one thinking the car was top notch besides the window regs.

Big props to Accel Junky for his high level of 'sellers honesty' as he attempts to sell the NSX he just purchased from a dishonest ebay seller. You sir are a major credit to prime.

IMO, a Carfax is only useful when it has negative information that helps you to avoid making an expensive mistake. A clean Carfax is meaningless to me when purchasing vehicles, as I previoulsy owned a vehicle with a salvage title and a "clean" Carfax.

IMO, a Carfax is only useful when it has negative information that helps you to avoid making an expensive mistake. A clean Carfax is meaningless to me when purchasing vehicles, as I previoulsy owned a vehicle with a salvage title and a "clean" Carfax.

Did not they give you any money back? They do guarantee, correct?

Carfax is only good for sellers as a selling tool, I have seen too many cars with "clean" carfax and do not check out as clean during PPI. Many potential buyers are surprised to learn that a clean carfax does not means a clean car.

Sure they do, but that is not in this current world that we reside in.

They only guarantee that if an accident was reported that it will show up in their database. They don't cover the situation that most people actually experience which is damages that were never reported anywhere.

So then there is no guarantee....basically all you have is what you see and what you have inspected. Due dilligence is required and if you feel you are satisfied with what has been presented to you...buy it and enjoy it. You will never know the real truth if it is concealed well enough, and if it is concealed well enough (ie great repair) then you will never know and should not try to second guess yourself into sleepless nights wondering if you got ripped off!

I saw this too. I noticed the close attention to detail when he posted in the for sale section. Without knowing his recent purchase experience, I thought to myself, what an honest seller. Wish there were more honest people like this.

And I too am sorry to hear about the dishonest seller. Believe it or not, even NSX owners can be scumbags(although most are not!)

But I believe in karma....so what goes around comes around.

Regards,

original ebay add for this nsx from yuplife read:

'I am offering up my pristine condition clear title (title in hand)1992 Berlina Black NSX with 117k. I purchased the car completely stock in 1999. I have since spent the last 10 years tastefully bringing the car up to date and making sure all maintenance was done. The timing belt/water pump was done at 100k miles, soon after I purchased the car. I also had all the gaskets on the engine replaced (does not leak any kind of fluids!!). The clutch was replaced at 116k miles last spring with an OEM unit. I have most of the service records for all that has been done. Everything exterior wise has been converted to 2002 with exception of the sideskirts...all the parts used were all OEM from Acura with receipts. The interior has been upgraded/updated...it is almost new condition. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer NSX, especially at this age. This NSX was featured in a nation-wide Turtle Wax commercial and has won a few shows it has entered in. The only thing that needs to be replaced are the window regulators. Both windows still roll up and down but are slow (common problem with the early nsx's). Please feel free to ask any questions, SERIOUS BUYERS PLEEEEEEASE...don't waste OUR time if you are not serious. I'm open to any buy it now offer.'

ebay account id is: yuplife. beware of that ebay seller: yuplife

Hard to believe the guy(yuplife) Accel Junky purchased this NSX from listed the NSX as 'pristine' on his ebay ad!!! Sad, just sad, the level of untruthfulness is amazing. Wonder if the ebay winner has seen what he missed out on. (The ebay winner never paid and Accel Junky purchased it off ebay).

This is what 'yuplife' left out of his ebay ad:

The bad:
-slight frame damage from prior's owners undisclosed/unreported accident (spec sheet available, car drives straight of course)
-Front right wheel caster is back in well, control arms, coilover look fine. Possibly knuckle or hub? (no unusual tire wear, but rubs well at full right lock)
-Right rear quarter panel replaced after prior owner's accident
-Passenger door hinge arm clicks when opening fully, passenger door panel sticks in a little further
-entire car exterior repainted during 2002+ conversion
-a couple of paint defects, I've highlighted these in the photos below
-a few interior wear spots, I've highlighted these in the photos below
-front rotors are warped, pads are good
-2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th synchros grind 2 out of 5 times at high RPM shift
-Steel components on the car have surface rust (engine pulleys, mounts, headers and cats etc...)
-Horn/cruise non-functional, SRS light on - needs a new steering reel to fix (~$80 used ~$200 new)
-Right rear iforged wheel has two small curb rash spots
-Coolant overflow reservoir has a leak that was patched and is starting to leak again
-Passenger window regulator is shot
-Driver's window regulator on way out but still works well enough to use
-Rear 02+ valence isn't clipped/fastened right in one spot (see photo)
-Passenger wings west skirt is sagging in middle (see common problem, fix instructions on NSXPrime forum) and has a scuff where prior owner rubbed something
-Engine cover felt has seen better days
-Tailight seals may need work, moisture inside after a wash

WOW does not cover it.

Last edited:
Back