• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

antenna makes loud clicking noise

My antenna makes a loud clicking noise when it retracts. The sound starts after the antenna has fully retracted. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there an easy fix or does it require the replacement of the antenna. I kinda hate to replace the whole thing because it works fine it's just annoying.

Mine too makes that noise. My antenna appears to be slightly bent. Haven't not tried yet to fix it though.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Actually its because the antenna is bent and a particular section does not fully extend or retract. The motor thinks its supposed to retract "more" of the antenna even though it is all the way down, hence the clicking. Mine does that too so I asked Acura yesterday how much to fix it. I will know this afternoon, and I will make sure to post the quoted cost.

I thought I was the only one with a clicking after retracted attenna. The noise started a couple of months ago. I'll be interested to find out how much the fix will be.Maybe all it needs is a little of that Blue Magic Metal Polish that was mentioned on a previous post.

I tried lubricating a polishing/cleaning the antenna..it didnt help at all. I think the Antenna motor is pretty strong..it just cant quite extend or retract a bent antenna...
(or so my theory goes)

I had this problem on my integra. The problem as mentioned before is that the antenna is not extending fully, so when it retracts, the motor thinks there's more antenna to retract and keeps on turning. The click is causing by the motor gear teeth slipping off the plastic gear teeth on the antenna mast. The way I solved this is to help the antenna extend fully by lightly pulling it upward when it extends to the top, you'll notice the motor is still turning even though the antenna stopped moving up. Then the antenna will be fully extended and when it retracts the motor turn off when its fully retracted.

Remember, I did this to my 1990 Integra and it seemed to work for a while, but it needed this treatment every few months. So there was something else wrong somewhere. I dont know if I'd try this on my NSX.

Acura of Portland Quoted me 56 dollars for the Antenna peice, and 1/2 an hour's worth of labor. That brings it to something like 100 dollars give or take a couple of dollars.

Just replace the antenna mast:

Part #39152-SLO-A01 $64.28

I think it's simple installation, friend of mine said it took only 30 minutes.

Oddly enough, my antenna mast just broke too. It wouldn't retract (during a club drive, of all things) and I simply bought the replacement mast mentioned above. Turns out the nylon cable had finally broken. The istallation was easy, except for having to extract part of the mast mount from the shaft tube, and all is well (and quiet) now.

Back